polish garb for men Qs

  • Lente
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 22, 2006
      Hi everybody,

      I found an upholstrey fabric that looks pretty decent pattern wise and I
      am planning to make a coat for my husband's knight using the
      Reconstructing History 401 Zupan pattern. What I am wondering is does
      anybody have an idea of how the undertunic and pants that would be worn
      with this would be made? I want to make a complete outfit for his
      knight. I know the pattern is toward the end of SCA period so any tips
      on how to make it be a little earlier in time? if that is possible.

      thank you

      Kathws
    • Tracy Kremer
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 23, 2006
        Sometimes, just making a simpler version of something
        does the trick....

        Eluned Zedik

        --- Lente <lente@...> wrote:

        > Hi everybody,
        >
        > I found an upholstrey fabric that looks pretty
        > decent pattern wise and I
        > am planning to make a coat for my husband's knight
        > using the
        > Reconstructing History 401 Zupan pattern. What I am
        > wondering is does
        > anybody have an idea of how the undertunic and pants
        > that would be worn
        > with this would be made? I want to make a complete
        > outfit for his
        > knight. I know the pattern is toward the end of SCA
        > period so any tips
        > on how to make it be a little earlier in time? if
        > that is possible.
        >
        > thank you
        >
        > Kathws

        CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

        Yahoo! Music Unlimited
        Access over 1 million songs.
        http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
      • Lente
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 24, 2006
          So maybe a thigh length version of the coat in a linen blend for the
          undertunic? Catching up on emails so I still have some to check out.

          Kathws

          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 24, 2006
            Well, That was sort of what I had in mind, but I've
            been reading the thread on this site re Russian
            clothing, including following the links, and there was
            something about earlier cultures taking after their
            neighbors in some matters, including turkish
            underwear...wish I'd made a note of it! The Turks were
            not only neighbors of the Poles, but agressive ones,
            so there was a lot of contact with them...

            Linen was rare further north in Russia, but since
            Poland was closer to warmer climes (mercantile-wise,
            at least), I would say yes to linen, but perhaps a
            looser style than the tunic and coat, since it will
            also be a lighter material. What of the wrists and
            neckline? You could probably get away with a
            drawstring and not too generous a cut of the cloth,
            but I'm guessing.

            be well
            still Eluned (working on it...)

            --- Lente <lente@...> wrote:

            > So maybe a thigh length version of the coat in a
            > linen blend for the
            > undertunic? Catching up on emails so I still have
            > some to check out.
            >
            > Kathws
            >
            > Tracy Kremer wrote:
            > > Sometimes, just making a simpler version of
            > something
            > > does the trick....
            > >
            > > Eluned Zedik
            > >
            > > --- Lente <lente@...> wrote:
            > >
            > >> I am planning to make a coat for my husband's
            > knight
            > >> using the Reconstructing History 401 Zupan
            > pattern.

            CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

            Yahoo! Music Unlimited
            Access over 1 million songs.
            http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
          • Lynda Fjellman
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 27, 2006
              Why would linen be rare in Russia unless they didn't choose to grow it?
              It grows well in Scandinavia.
              Cotton is a warm weather crop.
              Ilaria

              --- Lente <lente@...> wrote:

              > So maybe a thigh length version of the coat in a
              > linen blend for the
              > undertunic? Catching up on emails so I still have
              > some to check out.
              >
              > Kathws
              >
              > Tracy Kremer wrote:
              > > Sometimes, just making a simpler version of
              > something
              > > does the trick....
              > >
              > > Eluned Zedik
              > >
              > > --- Lente <lente@...> wrote:
              > >
              > >> I am planning to make a coat for my husband's
              > knight
              > >> using the Reconstructing History 401 Zupan
              > pattern.

              CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and
              lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice
              prices, honest!

            • L.M. Kies
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 27, 2006

                >>Linen was rare further north in Russia,
                >>

                >Why would linen be rare in Russia unless they didn't choose to grow it?
                It grows well in Scandinavia.

                Linen wasn't rare in Russia. It was the standard fabric of rubakhy/sorochiki, porty, letniki, etc. Linen fabrics were among the home-woven fabrics made and used by the peasants, and, unlike wools and silks, do not seem to have been imported even for the upper classes.

                They must have meant to say that cotton was rare in Russia.

                Sofya

                Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
                http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
                "Si no necare, sana."
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 27, 2006
                  The Domostroi describes cotton in terms of being a
                  luxury fabric...
                  'dok
                  --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

                  > >>Linen was rare further north in Russia,
                  > >>

                  > >Why would linen be rare in Russia unless they
                  > didn't choose to grow it?
                  > It grows well in Scandinavia.
                  > >

                  > Linen wasn't rare in Russia. It was the standard
                  > fabric of rubakhy/sorochiki, porty, letniki, etc.
                  > Linen fabrics were among the home-woven fabrics made
                  > and used by the peasants, and, unlike wools and
                  > silks, do not seem to have been imported even for
                  > the upper classes.
                  >
                  > They must have meant to say that cotton was rare in
                  > Russia.
                  >
                  > Sofya

                  > Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
                  > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
                  > "Si no necare, sana."

                  > removed]

                  http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                • Lynda Fjellman
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 28, 2006
                    That's what I figured. I've pretty much assumed that "everyone" had
                    linen and wool of some sort all through period and only bothered to
                    research other fibers.
                    Ilaria

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
                      sounds about right.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
                        I don't know, I just know what I had read; they
                        perhaps meant, _evidence_ of linen was rare, or maybe
                        it was a translation error. I guess I should have
                        questioned it, but it may also have been a cultural
                        rarity; some places that _can_ make something,
                        nonetheless _don't_ make it....and you have to know
                        the culture well to know it that is the case. I'm
                        learning from what sources I can, but those are at
                        present limited.

                        Eluned

                        --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

                        > Why would linen be rare in Russia unless they didn't
                        > choose to grow it?
                        > It grows well in Scandinavia.
                        > Cotton is a warm weather crop.
                        > Ilaria
                        >

                        > Linen was rare further north in Russia, but since
                        > Poland was closer to warmer climes (mercantile-wise,
                        > at least), I would say yes to linen, but perhaps a
                        > looser style than the tunic and coat, since it will
                        > also be a lighter material. What of the wrists and
                        > neckline? You could probably get away with a
                        > drawstring and not too generous a cut of the cloth,
                        > but I'm guessing.
                        >
                        > be well
                        > still Eluned (working on it...)
                        >

                        > --- Lente <lente@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > So maybe a thigh length version of the coat in a
                        > > linen blend for the
                        > > undertunic? Catching up on emails so I still have
                        > > some to check out.
                        > >
                        > > Kathws
                        > >
                        > > Tracy Kremer wrote:
                        > > > Sometimes, just making a simpler version of
                        > > something
                        > > > does the trick....

                        > > knight
                        > > pattern.
                        > >

                        > CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For
                        > SCA, New Age, and
                        > lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver
                        > only, no gold. Nice
                        > prices, honest!
                        >
                        > COMING SOON; ElunedsEmporium.com !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                        CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

                        Want to start your own business?
                        Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
                        http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
                      • Lynda Fjellman
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
                          Ah, well, evidence of something is quite different! Wool will survive
                          in conditions that Linen will not, perhaps that is the problem.

                          Few people with a choice in the matter will wear wool next to their skin
                          unless they have *really* fine wool so some sort of plant fiber is
                          generally worn as an under layer. (Unless they have silk)

                          The term *linen* is also problematic as it generally refers to the
                          fabric made from the flax plant. However, ramie, hemp, nettles, and
                          other bast fiber producing plants make good fabric and are sometimes
                          called "linen" as well.

                          I certainly know how hard it is to find sources. I don't reply to a lot
                          of questions as I have no answers, not for lack of trying.
                          My husband is doing 1600 Polish Winged Hussar and finding good resources
                          can be interesting.
                          We are going to Poland in March/April so maybe I will turn something up
                          there.

                          As far as undergarments go, sometimes I make a shirt like a western
                          European one and sometimes I make them more like a tunic, more similar
                          to what a Turk might have worn.
                          My husband is doing a Scots persona who moved to Poland so he will have
                          his memories of what he wore at home to help guide him in what to wear.
                          In addition Poland was looking both east and west for clothing ideas at
                          that point in time so I kind of pick and choose.
                          Ilaria

                        • Tracy Kremer
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
                            This source seems pretty good, once you filter out the
                            dubious ones and do the research on the probability of
                            the names given. They provide the feminine versions
                            of some of the masculine names that _are_ documented,
                            plus they give definitions.

                            http://www.20000-names.com/female_polish_names.htm

                            Eluned

                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
                              --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:
                              > We are going to Poland in March/April so maybe I
                              > will turn something up
                              > there.

                              Wow! congrats!

                              Don't forget to pick up some amber while you're there;
                              no, don't go to the shops, they're overpriced; find
                              the nearest pier or hangout spot for folks who sell
                              out of bags or trays, or, best of all, go to the
                              Polish version of the farmer's market/flea market. If
                              nobody else can, one of the taxi-drivers should be
                              able to show you where these are! Some of them are
                              really great (the open-air markets, I mean, although
                              the taxi-guys are pretty cool sometimes too!)

                              What part of Poland are you going to?

                              If you get a chance, the _old_ city in Gdansk is
                              really neat....it was one of the mercantile centers
                              back then, and they still have some of the walls, and
                              some of the harbor, and some great (carefully rebuilt)
                              small museums and medieval streets.

                              Eluned

                              CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

                              Cheap talk?
                              http://voice.yahoo.com
                            • Lynda Fjellman
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
                                Well, if you have suggestions, I would be quite happy to hear them! We
                                are definitely going to Warsaw and Krakow, but any other interesting
                                places would be welcome. Especially if they have anything relating to
                                SCA period.

                                I do plan to look at the amber while we are there, never know I might
                                find something interesting, but it really isn't my favorite thing.
                                Ilaria

                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
                                  I recommend that you check out Malbork; the main
                                  castle of the Teutonic Knights when they occupied
                                  Poland. I believe it is "period" - and, although
                                  brick, quite amazing for size, and also in excellent
                                  condition. It is convenient to a train station (as is
                                  most of Poland) although you have to take a taxi there
                                  from the station.
                                  Please note that dates are not arranged as we do - the
                                  order is different.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
                                    Oh, and if you do go to Gdansk, I especially recommend
                                    "King Arthur's Court" and the merchant headquarters
                                    that are there, plus the displays in the museum part.
                                    As well as lots of historical stuff, the
                                    government-sponsored display of amber-appliqued
                                    furniture is truly awsome, although modern There is
                                    also a museum elsewhere, in part of the old wall....

                                    Eluned

                                    --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

                                    > Well, if you have suggestions, I would be quite
                                    > happy to hear them! We
                                    > are definitely going to Warsaw and Krakow, but any
                                    > other interesting
                                    > places would be welcome. Especially if they have
                                    > anything relating to
                                    > SCA period.
                                    >
                                    > I do plan to look at the amber while we are there,
                                    > never know I might
                                    > find something interesting, but it really isn't my
                                    > favorite thing.
                                    > Ilaria
                                    >
                                    > What part of Poland are you going to?
                                    >
                                    > If you get a chance, the _old_ city in Gdansk is
                                    > really neat....it was one of the mercantile centers
                                    > back then, and they still have some of the walls,
                                    > and
                                    > some of the harbor, and some great (carefully
                                    > rebuilt)
                                    > small museums and medieval streets.
                                    >
                                    > Eluned

                                    CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

                                    http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                                  • Rick Orli
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
                                      While I don't disagree, amber is easily faked with modern resins and
                                      plastics, and faked amber is big business. On the other hand, the
                                      fakes are often so good that if you don't know, or do know, you can
                                      still be a happy customer. You can easily pay more for the same fake
                                      in a shop. But if you want a really nice piece that costs several
                                      hundred dollars, watch out.

                                      > no, don't go to the shops, they're overpriced; find
                                      > the nearest pier or hangout spot for folks who sell
                                      > out of bags or trays, or, best of all, go to the
                                      > Polish version of the farmer's market/flea market.>

                                    • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
                                        I generally only buy from people I know, who trade directly with Eastern
                                        Europe. But then, I buy all my amber in the SCA. :)

                                        > While I don't disagree, amber is easily faked with modern resins and
                                        > plastics, and faked amber is big business. On the other hand, the
                                        > fakes are often so good that if you don't know, or do know, you can
                                        > still be a happy customer. You can easily pay more for the same fake
                                        > in a shop. But if you want a really nice piece that costs several
                                        > hundred dollars, watch out.
                                        >
                                        > > no, don't go to the shops, they're overpriced; find
                                        > > the nearest pier or hangout spot for folks who sell
                                        > > out of bags or trays, or, best of all, go to the
                                        > > Polish version of the farmer's market/flea market.>
                                        > >

                                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      • Tracy Kremer
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Dec 6, 2006
                                          Oh, I forgot that some people have not trained
                                          themselve in amber purchasing. I, well, I've trained
                                          to know the difference. Also, I got my sources from
                                          someone who has/had (he quit selling) good sources.
                                          But, when it comes to rough amber, strung amber
                                          chunks, which is what I prefer, they seldom bother to
                                          fake them; not enough money in it. It's the polished,
                                          finished pieces that you have to check out carefully.

                                          Eluned