Intro and howdy!

  • Albina Gherardi
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 22, 2006
      Hello all and thank you for letting me become a part of the group. I
      am Albina Gherardi, a 12th c Sicilian, who is comtemplating a move to
      Novgorod. I have always been facinated with all things Russian (don't
      know why I didn't start out there in the SCA!), and just in lurking the
      past few days have found tons of info. I hope to learn more, and will
      post photos as I get them since 1) I am a garbaholic, and 2) I am doing
      Rus for Atlantian 12th night. Hope to see yall around!

      Albina
    • aldo
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 22, 2006
        Dear Albina, if u move to Novgorod u have to know some of its history. Therefore I advise u, as u can read Italian, to get my book E' CADUTA LA REPUBBLICA which is a history of this glorious republic of the North. This is also an invitation to all SIG members to ask for this book - provided they can read Italian - and I will send it over.
        Bye

        Aldo C. Marturano

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 23, 2006
          Albina;

          Greetings and welcome! I am a previous inhabitant of
          this list who has been mostly silent since I rejoined;
          I'm in school and working part-time, but I missed this
          list and so came back, although with limited time.
          I am interested in the Rus too, of late. My greatest
          interest at present is the really early history, when
          the area was being settled. Does anyone have a source
          on this they can recommend, or information they'd like
          to share?
          At least if you decide to learn Russian, there will be
          plenty of options! Even in the part of Atlantia where
          I live, I have discovered there are more chances to
          learn Russian than to learn Polish, which was my first
          choice.
          Just try to find a tutor in Polish, fer-gosh-sakes, in
          North Carolina near Charlotte; I got one reply, from
          someone else who wanted to learn also! For Polish,
          there are precisely two teaching tapes available,
          currently; one of which is just about impossible to
          use if your plan was to learn while you drove.
          Unfortunately, that is the one I got. The other is
          much more expensive. Given that the eastern european
          languages are really slippery to the ear for one who
          grew up with english, spanish, and a smattering of
          french, which are related to each other but not at all
          to the Slavic languages, I suspect the other tape
          might be at best difficult to use.

          do widzenia!
          Eluned zewnatrz

          --- Albina Gherardi <dagperez@...> wrote:

          > Hello all and thank you for letting me become a part
          > of the group. I
          > am Albina Gherardi, a 12th c Sicilian, who is
          > comtemplating a move to
          > Novgorod. I have always been facinated with all
          > things Russian (don't
          > know why I didn't start out there in the SCA!), and
          > just in lurking the
          > past few days have found tons of info. I hope to
          > learn more, and will
          > post photos as I get them since 1) I am a
          > garbaholic, and 2) I am doing
          > Rus for Atlantian 12th night. Hope to see yall
          > around!
          >
          > Albina

          CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

          Want to start your own business?
          Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
          http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
        • aldo
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 23, 2006
            Dear Tracy, I may take you to my pages in Italian if you just digit my full name and search me via Google

            ALDO C. MARTURANO

            or I just invite u to visit the pages MEDIOEVO RUSSO in the site www.mondimedievali.net

            u will find there a lot of material written in an easy way.
            Ciao

            Aldo

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 23, 2006
              Gracias!
              Or, I think for you it would be "Grazi", yes?

              I'm afraid Italian is hard for me to work out, so I
              will try the Medioevo Russo...

              Eluned Zedik
              --- aldo <turanomar@...> wrote:

              > Dear Tracy, I may take you to my pages in Italian if
              > you just digit my full name and search me via Google
              >
              > ALDO C. MARTURANO
              >
              > or I just invite u to visit the pages MEDIOEVO RUSSO
              > in the site www.mondimedievali.net
              >
              > u will find there a lot of material written in an
              > easy way.
              > Ciao
              >
              > Aldo

              Sponsored Link

              Rates near 39yr lows. $420,000 Loan for $1399/mo.
              Calcuate new payment. www.LowerMyBills.com/lre
            • Tracy Kremer
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 23, 2006
                Yep, it is as I feared; Italian is _so_ much harder
                than Spanish (for me). I may be able to use your
                Chronology, but it starts a little later than I was
                interested. This is becasue I was planning to operate
                on the principle that while the center of things in
                medieval times was more advanced than in the early
                times, the folks in the country and outlying areas
                would hold to some of the older ways. The earlier garb
                is usually more practical for basic day-to-day SCA
                activities; the more elaborate, later, garb and
                persona development can come later when my persona is
                well started and when I have more time to make the
                elaborate stuff.
                Thank you for the offer of information, milord; I only
                regret that I cannot make out italian well enough to
                make use of it.

                Sincerely,

                Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                Access over 1 million songs.
                http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
              • aldo
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 23, 2006
                  Dear Baryshnya Eluned, I have also a shorter article on the Arrival of the Slavs in the Russian Plain in Italian which I may send u if you like. It takes you back into the VI-VII century when the Slavs tried to settle in the largest marshes of the world: the PRIPYAT BASIN (larger than the Everglades), how they wnet along the norther borders of these marshes and entered finally into Polotsk and Novgorod areas where they met with Finns and Balts. Before this date nothing is known! I tried to translate it into English but the translation was so ridiculous that I gave up. I sent it over to Goldschmidt. U may ask him or, once again, ask me to send it over to u in Italian.
                  Ciao

                  Aldo

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 24, 2006
                    Sorry, I don't read Italian either. I am able to read Spanish and
                    French, and just began teaching myself Russian, but I am researching
                    Novgorod. Maybe someone can suggest an English resource?

                    Thanks!

                    Albina
                  • Albina Gherardi
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 24, 2006
                      Yes, Eluned, Polish is difficult to find classes for. Don't know
                      why. UNC-CH I know used to teach it, but even I don't want to travel
                      that far for 1 class. So, I resigned myself to Russian as well.

                      More later, I need to clean up after yesterday!

                      Albina
                    • L.M. Kies
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 24, 2006

                        >Sorry, I don't read Italian either. I am able to read Spanish and
                        French, and just began teaching myself Russian, but I am researching
                        Novgorod. Maybe someone can suggest an English resource?

                        Well, you still haven't told us exactly what period you are looking at. Pagan Rus (before conversion)? Kievan Rus (before Mongol conquest)?

                        There's usually some brief information on very early Rus history in standard Russian history texts. I've found a couple of brief on-line English summaries of "Slavs in Antiquity" and "Slavs in the Early Middle Ages" although I have not read them carefully yet:

                        http://www.rastko.org.yu/arheologija/vsedov-slavs.html
                        http://www.rastko.org.yu/arheologija/vsedov-slavs_2.html

                        I'm assuming you've seen "Life in 13th Century Novgorod". A lot of that era would also apply to earlier periods:

                        http://www.geocities.com/medievalnovgorod/

                        And my own webpage includes a lot of information about Early Rus (including references). I hope you've looked at it already, but just in case:

                        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/

                        And Russian clothing in _every_ period can be quite practical. According to Rabinovich, even a Muscovite nobleman could wear his upper rubakha around home. It was the more formal, ceremonial occasions that required a greater excess. A certain G. Kotoshkin recorded that ambassadors would travel along the streets in odnoryadki, and then as they were to go in to see the tsar, they would take off the odnoryadki and put on the more formal shuby.

                        I hope this helps,

                        Sofya
                        (And now I'm off to pack for the Knowne World Costuming Symposium!)

                        Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
                        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
                        "Si no necare, sana."

                      • Tracy Kremer
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 24, 2006
                          Thank you _SO_ much, lady Sofya!!
                          This is indeed good source material; the first two are
                          very interesting, at least to me, and the third link
                          is _extremely_ useful; I have yet to make it to your
                          site, which I expect (as you are a costumer) will also
                          be a wonderful source!
                          Enjoy the Symposium; I've never been, but as one
                          helping to run various SCA events and CostumeCon when
                          it was nearby, I expect it will be wonderful!!

                          Dzieki!

                          Eluned Zedik
                          --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

                          > >Sorry, I don't read Italian either. I am able to
                          > read Spanish and
                          > French, and just began teaching myself Russian, but
                          > I am researching
                          > Novgorod. Maybe someone can suggest an English
                          > resource?
                          > >

                          > Well, you still haven't told us exactly what period
                          > you are looking at. Pagan Rus (before conversion)?
                          > Kievan Rus (before Mongol conquest)?
                          >
                          > There's usually some brief information on very early
                          > Rus history in standard Russian history texts. I've
                          > found a couple of brief on-line English summaries of
                          > "Slavs in Antiquity" and "Slavs in the Early Middle
                          > Ages" although I have not read them carefully yet:

                          http://www.rastko.org.yu/arheologija/vsedov-slavs.html

                          http://www.rastko.org.yu/arheologija/vsedov-slavs_2.html

                          > I'm assuming you've seen "Life in 13th Century
                          > Novgorod". A lot of that era would also apply to
                          > earlier periods:
                          >
                          > http://www.geocities.com/medievalnovgorod/
                          >
                          > And my own webpage includes a lot of information
                          > about Early Rus (including references). I hope
                          > you've looked at it already, but just in case:
                          >
                          > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/
                          >
                          > And Russian clothing in _every_ period can be quite
                          > practical. According to Rabinovich, even a
                          > Muscovite nobleman could wear his upper rubakha
                          > around home. It was the more formal, ceremonial
                          > occasions that required a greater excess. A certain
                          > G. Kotoshkin recorded that ambassadors would travel
                          > along the streets in odnoryadki, and then as they
                          > were to go in to see the tsar, they would take off
                          > the odnoryadki and put on the more formal shuby.
                          >
                          > I hope this helps,
                          >
                          > Sofya
                          > (And now I'm off to pack for the Knowne World
                          > Costuming Symposium!)

                          > Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
                          > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
                          > "Si no necare, sana."

                          > removed]

                          CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

                          http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                        • Tracy Kremer
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 24, 2006
                            Milady, your site is indeed wonderful!
                            --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

                            > >Sorry, I don't read Italian either. I am able to
                            > read Spanish and
                            > French, and just began teaching myself Russian, but
                            > I am researching
                            > Novgorod. Maybe someone can suggest an English
                            > resource?
                            > >

                            > Well, you still haven't told us exactly what period
                            > you are looking at. Pagan Rus (before conversion)?
                            > Kievan Rus (before Mongol conquest)?
                            >
                            > There's usually some brief information on very early
                            > Rus history in standard Russian history texts. I've
                            > found a couple of brief on-line English summaries of
                            > "Slavs in Antiquity" and "Slavs in the Early Middle
                            > Ages" although I have not read them carefully yet:

                            http://www.rastko.org.yu/arheologija/vsedov-slavs.html

                            http://www.rastko.org.yu/arheologija/vsedov-slavs_2.html

                            > I'm assuming you've seen "Life in 13th Century
                            > Novgorod". A lot of that era would also apply to
                            > earlier periods:
                            >
                            > http://www.geocities.com/medievalnovgorod/
                            >
                            > And my own webpage includes a lot of information
                            > about Early Rus (including references). I hope
                            > you've looked at it already, but just in case:
                            >
                            > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/
                            >
                            > And Russian clothing in _every_ period can be quite
                            > practical. According to Rabinovich, even a
                            > Muscovite nobleman could wear his upper rubakha
                            > around home. It was the more formal, ceremonial
                            > occasions that required a greater excess. A certain
                            > G. Kotoshkin recorded that ambassadors would travel
                            > along the streets in odnoryadki, and then as they
                            > were to go in to see the tsar, they would take off
                            > the odnoryadki and put on the more formal shuby.
                            >
                            > I hope this helps,
                            >
                            > Sofya
                            > (And now I'm off to pack for the Knowne World
                            > Costuming Symposium!)

                            > Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
                            > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
                            > "Si no necare, sana."

                            > removed]

                            CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

                            Cheap talk?
                            http://voice.yahoo.com
                          • Tracy Kremer
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 24, 2006
                              The offer is appreciated, but I must decline. I'm
                              afraid I can only pick out bits of Italian, and some
                              of that I may well get wrong. Reading more than
                              simple Italian with any comprehension is beyond me!

                              Sincerely,
                              Dama Eluned

                              --- aldo <turanomar@...> wrote:

                              > Dear Baryshnya Eluned, I have also a shorter article
                              > on the Arrival of the Slavs in the Russian Plain in
                              > Italian which I may send u if you like. It takes you
                              > back into the VI-VII century when the Slavs tried to
                              > settle in the largest marshes of the world: the
                              > PRIPYAT BASIN (larger than the Everglades), how they
                              > wnet along the norther borders of these marshes and
                              > entered finally into Polotsk and Novgorod areas
                              > where they met with Finns and Balts. Before this
                              > date nothing is known! I tried to translate it into
                              > English but the translation was so ridiculous that I
                              > gave up. I sent it over to Goldschmidt. U may ask
                              > him or, once again, ask me to send it over to u in
                              > Italian.
                              > Ciao
                              >
                              > Aldo

                              === message truncated ===

                              CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold. Nice prices, honest!

                              Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                              Access over 1 million songs.
                              http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
                            • Rick Orli
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 27, 2006
                                Funny, that's why I took Russian, at U.South Carolina - no Polish
                                offered in that part of the country. Glad I did... Also glad I was
                                able to switch it to a 'pass/fail' class, language is a TON of work.
                                Speaking of not doing enough homework, I'm finally taking that Polish
                                grammer class now, couple of decades later.
                                Also, helped me appreciate the plight of even smaller languages and
                                national and cultural traditions that get swamped by larger nations.
                                -Rick
                                --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Albina Gherardi" <dagperez@...> wrote:

                                > Yes, Eluned, Polish is difficult to find classes for. Don't know
                                > why. UNC-CH I know used to teach it, but even I don't want to
                                travel
                                > that far for 1 class. So, I resigned myself to Russian as well.

                                > Albina

                              • Tracy Kremer
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                                  --- Rick Orli <orlirva@...> wrote:

                                  > Funny, that's why I took Russian, at U.South
                                  > Carolina - ....

                                  ... I'm finally
                                  > taking that Polish
                                  > grammer class now, couple of decades later.

                                  So, where are you taking it? Not much chance it's
                                  anywhere near me, and I'm swamped with medical
                                  education right now, but....