Re: [sig] Re: Drawings, Ospery and period, as sources....

    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 5, 2006
      LOL! A very succinct definition of the difference
      between historial vs. antiquarian research
      /interpretation. I generally read every source and
      look for re-occuring "facts", then try to verify those
      "facts" with the timeline we can verify....Often, I've
      found that a whole new historical record begins to
      appear behind the hyperboly and politik! One of my
      professors used to say that history is the true
      sausage factory, every bit of nasty meat and
      eyewatering spice goes into it and nice, pleasant
      looking sausages emerge in the publish or perish
      histories, like those drawings! Very illustrative and
      sanitized but hardly definitive.
      The other end is gettiing so gritty in your
      interpretation that you are unable to see that some
      groups were indeed sanitized and rigorously neat and
      clean, almost benial! The Civil War folks have that
      huge blind spot but niether faction can compromise
      enough to utilize it at events to show one of the more
      interesting aspects of that time....politics
      mascarading as record, the triumph of form over
      matter.
      Always enjoy your posts!
      'dok

      http://mail.yahoo.com