Re: Czech Illumination

  • Soraya Newell
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2006
      I believe the text identifies the illuminations as being from the
      Velislavova bible.
      The Google entries for the Velislavova bible are in Czech, but seem to
      say it dates from the mid-1300's.

      Soraya
    • Alastair Millar (IOL)
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2006
        Jadwiga -

        Since I'm a professional Czech-English translator, I guess I can help
        with this one!

        This article is entitled "A newly-discovered fragment of a Latin
        translation of the so-called Dalimil's Chronicle". It refers to the
        piece bought at auction relatively recently (March 2005 I think) in
        Paris by the Czech government, and dated to 1330-1340 - so certainly
        pre-1600! The list archive should have my earlier posts on this subject,
        including links. A digitised version of this manuscript is accessible at
        http://www.manuscriptorium.com/Site/ENG/free_documents.asp with headings
        in English. The same page hosts links to digitised versions of other
        illuminated manuscripts as well, including the c1500 Jena Codex, the
        c1360 Liber Viaticus, the first part of the 1417 Olomouc Bible etc. etc.

        The article was written in May 2005. The text of the article includes
        comparative citations from various sources, including the Velislav Bible
        and the Liber depictus / Krumauer Kodex, which I think has caused some
        people confusion. Please note that I am unwilling to translate the
        article in full - it runs to around 80 standard pages, which even at
        Czech rates works out to $1400-worth of time & effort (it would take
        around 10-14 working days). More importantly, my workload is such that I
        cannot currently accept commissions until year's end.

        Cheers!

        Alastair

        Alastair Millar BSc(Hons) - http://www.skriptorium.info
        = Translation & consultancy for the heritage industry =
      • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 6, 2006
          Alistair (and everyone else who replied) thank you!! You gave us exactly
          the information we needed, about whether the illustrations are from
          pre-1600 sources. Wonderful!
          -- Jadwiga