RE : [sig] Can anyone puzzle this out>

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2006
      ------- Original Message -------

      A C&I artisan friend asked me for help with a Slav-related question, and
      >we're both stumped:
      >We think this page might be in Czech, and show some Czech, pre-1600
      >illuminations, but neither of us reads the language:
      >http://knihovna.nkp.cz/knihovna61/uhlir.htm

      Well, I don't read Czech, but I don't know what other Slavic languages would have all those carats.  And the fact that the URL is a .cz address is another good clue.  The picture captions seem to refer to several people - the Roman king (Rimskij kral, Holy Roman Emperor?), and Boleslav and Bretislav...  Ooh, there's a couple about Saint Wenceslas (Vaclav) with his mother, Drahomira, and his sainted grandmother Liudmila...  Seeing how he's basically the patron saint of Bohemia/Prague, that's more evidence for you.

      There's a bunch of Latin in there, too - a bunch of stuff there about St. Wenceslas, too.  But I don't know Latin either.

      Sofya