Can anyone puzzle this out>

  • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2006
      A C&I artisan friend asked me for help with a Slav-related question, and
      we're both stumped:
      We think this page might be in Czech, and show some Czech, pre-1600
      illuminations, but neither of us reads the language:
      http://knihovna.nkp.cz/knihovna61/uhlir.htm

    • Ron Jachim
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2006
        It is definitely Czech. The cz digraph on the url is a hint, but I
        think the e with the hook over it and the u with the open circle over
        it are unique identifiers of Czech amongst modern Slavic languages.

        The bad news is that I don't read a lick of Czech, but the good news
        is that there is a an email address for the Academic chap mentioned at
        the top of the article, and being a PhD, he probably learned English
        along the way. If I were you, I'd email the guy in a polite, formal
        way, but with straightforward language, and see if he's able to help
        you out.

        Ron
      • grunasulisz.asp@neostrada.pl
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 5, 2006
          Witaj Jadwiga,
          The text is very long. What do you want to know?
          This is a part of medieval manuscript of "Old Czechish Chronicle of so called Dalimil" (Staroceská kronika tak receného Dalimila) from 1 half (3 or 4th decade) of XIV c. The scholars assume that the ilumiantions were made in the northern Italy.

          Greetings,
          Magdalena z Wroclawia