RE: RE : [sig] Baltic garb info.

  • Lynda Fjellman
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 4, 2006
      I was amazed at how many trees it takes to make a pair of shoes(and how
      quickly they wear out). If they were very popular, they must have had a
      LOT of land in Lime trees.
      I'm thinking about coppicing right now, I have some land and have
      decided to start a wood lot.
      Ilaria

      Ilaria,
      Thank-you, I was thinking it would be something similar to
      ring-barking, and had completely forgotton about coppicing. (I should
      know better, I study botany at uni.)

      It makes a lot more sense, otherwise an entire village would probably
      level a forest in a few years, just for making shoes let alone other
      woven articles like baskets, without the trees re-growing.

      ~Asfridhr

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Lynda Fjellman" <lfjellman@...> wrote:

      > On an aside totally away from Slavic women's clothing.
      > Your article mentions that lime trees(aka linden), were killed to make
      > footwear with their bark. They probably were not killed but coppiced.
      <<snip>>
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 4, 2006
        What about use of leather?

        --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

        > I was amazed at how many trees it takes to make a
        > pair of shoes(and how
        > quickly they wear out). If they were very popular,
        > they must have had a
        > LOT of land in Lime trees.
        > I'm thinking about coppicing right now, I have some
        > land and have
        > decided to start a wood lot.
        > Ilaria
        >

        > Ilaria,
        > Thank-you, I was thinking it would be something
        > similar to
        > ring-barking, and had completely forgotton about
        > coppicing. (I should
        > know better, I study botany at uni.)
        >
        > It makes a lot more sense, otherwise an entire
        > village would probably
        > level a forest in a few years, just for making shoes
        > let alone other
        > woven articles like baskets, without the trees
        > re-growing.
        >
        > ~Asfridhr
        >
        > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Lynda Fjellman"
        > <lfjellman@...> wrote:
        >
        > > On an aside totally away from Slavic women's
        > clothing.
        > > Your article mentions that lime trees(aka linden),
        > were killed to make
        > > footwear with their bark. They probably were not
        > killed but coppiced.
        > <<snip>>
        > > Ilaria

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • L.M. Kies
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2006
          Well, 'dak, leather is for hoity-toity city-folk.  Good honest country peasants wear bast.

          ;)

          Sofya