Re: RE : [sig] Baltic garb info.

  • quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2006
      Ilaria,
      Thank-you, I was thinking it would be something similar to
      ring-barking, and had completely forgotton about coppicing. (I should
      know better, I study botany at uni.)

      It makes a lot more sense, otherwise an entire village would probably
      level a forest in a few years, just for making shoes let alone other
      woven articles like baskets, without the trees re-growing.

      ~Asfridhr

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Lynda Fjellman" <lfjellman@...> wrote:

      > On an aside totally away from Slavic women's clothing.
      > Your article mentions that lime trees(aka linden), were killed to make
      > footwear with their bark. They probably were not killed but coppiced.
      <<snip>>
      > Ilaria
    • Lynda Fjellman
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 4, 2006
        I was amazed at how many trees it takes to make a pair of shoes(and how
        quickly they wear out). If they were very popular, they must have had a
        LOT of land in Lime trees.
        I'm thinking about coppicing right now, I have some land and have
        decided to start a wood lot.
        Ilaria

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2006
          What about use of leather?

          --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

          > I was amazed at how many trees it takes to make a
          > pair of shoes(and how
          > quickly they wear out). If they were very popular,
          > they must have had a
          > LOT of land in Lime trees.
          > I'm thinking about coppicing right now, I have some
          > land and have
          > decided to start a wood lot.
          > Ilaria
          >

          > Ilaria,
          > Thank-you, I was thinking it would be something
          > similar to
          > ring-barking, and had completely forgotton about
          > coppicing. (I should
          > know better, I study botany at uni.)
          >
          > It makes a lot more sense, otherwise an entire
          > village would probably
          > level a forest in a few years, just for making shoes
          > let alone other
          > woven articles like baskets, without the trees
          > re-growing.
          >
          > ~Asfridhr
          >
          > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Lynda Fjellman"
          > <lfjellman@...> wrote:
          >
          > > On an aside totally away from Slavic women's
          > clothing.
          > > Your article mentions that lime trees(aka linden),
          > were killed to make
          > > footwear with their bark. They probably were not
          > killed but coppiced.
          > <<snip>>
          > > Ilaria

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • L.M. Kies
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 4, 2006
            Well, 'dak, leather is for hoity-toity city-folk.  Good honest country peasants wear bast.

            ;)

            Sofya