RE: RE : [sig] Baltic garb info.

  • Lynda Fjellman
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2006
      The pictures do work, thanks.

      On an aside totally away from Slavic women's clothing.
      Your article mentions that lime trees(aka linden), were killed to make
      footwear with their bark. They probably were not killed but coppiced.
      Many trees, lime included, will regrow from the stumps when you cut
      them, this is termed coppicing when you grow trees on purpose for poles,
      wood, and in this case fiber, cutting them on a schedule and allowing
      them to regrow for a specific period of years before cutting again.
      Ilaria

      Sorry guys -- the pictures should work now.

      > >I just webbed some of my research on 10th c. Baltic women's garb, any
      > >comments on it would be appreciated.
      > >http://499angels.net/baltic/asfridhr/clothing.html

    • quokkaqueen
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3, 2006
        Ilaria,
        Thank-you, I was thinking it would be something similar to
        ring-barking, and had completely forgotton about coppicing. (I should
        know better, I study botany at uni.)

        It makes a lot more sense, otherwise an entire village would probably
        level a forest in a few years, just for making shoes let alone other
        woven articles like baskets, without the trees re-growing.

        ~Asfridhr

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Lynda Fjellman" <lfjellman@...> wrote:

        > On an aside totally away from Slavic women's clothing.
        > Your article mentions that lime trees(aka linden), were killed to make
        > footwear with their bark. They probably were not killed but coppiced.
        <<snip>>
        > Ilaria
      • Lynda Fjellman
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2006
          I was amazed at how many trees it takes to make a pair of shoes(and how
          quickly they wear out). If they were very popular, they must have had a
          LOT of land in Lime trees.
          I'm thinking about coppicing right now, I have some land and have
          decided to start a wood lot.
          Ilaria

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 4, 2006
            What about use of leather?

            --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

            > I was amazed at how many trees it takes to make a
            > pair of shoes(and how
            > quickly they wear out). If they were very popular,
            > they must have had a
            > LOT of land in Lime trees.
            > I'm thinking about coppicing right now, I have some
            > land and have
            > decided to start a wood lot.
            > Ilaria
            >

            > Ilaria,
            > Thank-you, I was thinking it would be something
            > similar to
            > ring-barking, and had completely forgotton about
            > coppicing. (I should
            > know better, I study botany at uni.)
            >
            > It makes a lot more sense, otherwise an entire
            > village would probably
            > level a forest in a few years, just for making shoes
            > let alone other
            > woven articles like baskets, without the trees
            > re-growing.
            >
            > ~Asfridhr
            >
            > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Lynda Fjellman"
            > <lfjellman@...> wrote:
            >
            > > On an aside totally away from Slavic women's
            > clothing.
            > > Your article mentions that lime trees(aka linden),
            > were killed to make
            > > footwear with their bark. They probably were not
            > killed but coppiced.
            > <<snip>>
            > > Ilaria

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • L.M. Kies
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 4, 2006
              Well, 'dak, leather is for hoity-toity city-folk.  Good honest country peasants wear bast.

              ;)

              Sofya