Tablet weaving kits, was: Baltic garb info.

  • quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2006
      Sofya,
      I created a new photo folder on the SIG yahoogroups page, called
      'Baltic', where I've put the tablet weaving kit pictures. The picture
      quality varies depending on the source, but there's a few in colour
      that are clearer.

      ~Asfridhr

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:
      > I was also wondering if you had illustrations of the bronze
      tablet-weaving kit that you mentioned.

      > Thanks,
      > Sofya
    • Lynda Fjellman
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2006
        The pictures do work, thanks.

        On an aside totally away from Slavic women's clothing.
        Your article mentions that lime trees(aka linden), were killed to make
        footwear with their bark. They probably were not killed but coppiced.
        Many trees, lime included, will regrow from the stumps when you cut
        them, this is termed coppicing when you grow trees on purpose for poles,
        wood, and in this case fiber, cutting them on a schedule and allowing
        them to regrow for a specific period of years before cutting again.
        Ilaria

        Sorry guys -- the pictures should work now.

        > >I just webbed some of my research on 10th c. Baltic women's garb, any
        > >comments on it would be appreciated.
        > >http://499angels.net/baltic/asfridhr/clothing.html

      • quokkaqueen
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2006
          Ilaria,
          Thank-you, I was thinking it would be something similar to
          ring-barking, and had completely forgotton about coppicing. (I should
          know better, I study botany at uni.)

          It makes a lot more sense, otherwise an entire village would probably
          level a forest in a few years, just for making shoes let alone other
          woven articles like baskets, without the trees re-growing.

          ~Asfridhr

          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Lynda Fjellman" <lfjellman@...> wrote:

          > On an aside totally away from Slavic women's clothing.
          > Your article mentions that lime trees(aka linden), were killed to make
          > footwear with their bark. They probably were not killed but coppiced.
          <<snip>>
          > Ilaria
        • Lynda Fjellman
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 4, 2006
            I was amazed at how many trees it takes to make a pair of shoes(and how
            quickly they wear out). If they were very popular, they must have had a
            LOT of land in Lime trees.
            I'm thinking about coppicing right now, I have some land and have
            decided to start a wood lot.
            Ilaria

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 4, 2006
              What about use of leather?

              --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

              > I was amazed at how many trees it takes to make a
              > pair of shoes(and how
              > quickly they wear out). If they were very popular,
              > they must have had a
              > LOT of land in Lime trees.
              > I'm thinking about coppicing right now, I have some
              > land and have
              > decided to start a wood lot.
              > Ilaria
              >

              > Ilaria,
              > Thank-you, I was thinking it would be something
              > similar to
              > ring-barking, and had completely forgotton about
              > coppicing. (I should
              > know better, I study botany at uni.)
              >
              > It makes a lot more sense, otherwise an entire
              > village would probably
              > level a forest in a few years, just for making shoes
              > let alone other
              > woven articles like baskets, without the trees
              > re-growing.
              >
              > ~Asfridhr
              >
              > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Lynda Fjellman"
              > <lfjellman@...> wrote:
              >
              > > On an aside totally away from Slavic women's
              > clothing.
              > > Your article mentions that lime trees(aka linden),
              > were killed to make
              > > footwear with their bark. They probably were not
              > killed but coppiced.
              > <<snip>>
              > > Ilaria

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • L.M. Kies
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 4, 2006
                Well, 'dak, leather is for hoity-toity city-folk.  Good honest country peasants wear bast.

                ;)

                Sofya