Re: RE : [sig] Baltic garb info.

  • quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2006
      Sorry guys -- the pictures should work now.

      I do have pictures (and an article in German) about the bronze tablet
      weaving kits, and some line drawings of amber tablets as well. :) I
      will scan them in soonish and post a link to them.

      Sorry, the only volumes of NESAT available in the country are vols. 3,
      6 and 7. Volumes 3 and 7 are available in my state, volume 6 I have to
      pay to get via inter-library loan.
      (see http://librariesaustralia.nla.gov.au/)

      Will scan in some pretty pictures shortly :)
      ~Asfridhr

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

      > >I just webbed some of my research on 10th c. Baltic women's garb, any
      > >comments on it would be appreciated.
      > >http://499angels.net/baltic/asfridhr/clothing.html
      >
      > Very cool.  The only problem I saw was that the pictures
      weren't working.
      > I didn't have any trouble understanding it otherwise.
      >
      > I did have a couple of questions, though.  I see you mentioned
      NESAT VI in your references.  I've been trying to find NESAT IV
      because it is supposed to have an article about some Russian tablet
      weaving bands.  Do you have easy access to it?
      > (My "local" 3-hours-away university library only seems to have NESAT
      VII.)
    • quokkaqueen
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2006
        Sofya,
        I created a new photo folder on the SIG yahoogroups page, called
        'Baltic', where I've put the tablet weaving kit pictures. The picture
        quality varies depending on the source, but there's a few in colour
        that are clearer.

        ~Asfridhr

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:
        > I was also wondering if you had illustrations of the bronze
        tablet-weaving kit that you mentioned.

        > Thanks,
        > Sofya
      • Lynda Fjellman
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2006
          The pictures do work, thanks.

          On an aside totally away from Slavic women's clothing.
          Your article mentions that lime trees(aka linden), were killed to make
          footwear with their bark. They probably were not killed but coppiced.
          Many trees, lime included, will regrow from the stumps when you cut
          them, this is termed coppicing when you grow trees on purpose for poles,
          wood, and in this case fiber, cutting them on a schedule and allowing
          them to regrow for a specific period of years before cutting again.
          Ilaria

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 3, 2006
            Ilaria,
            Thank-you, I was thinking it would be something similar to
            ring-barking, and had completely forgotton about coppicing. (I should
            know better, I study botany at uni.)

            It makes a lot more sense, otherwise an entire village would probably
            level a forest in a few years, just for making shoes let alone other
            woven articles like baskets, without the trees re-growing.

            ~Asfridhr

            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Lynda Fjellman" <lfjellman@...> wrote:

            > On an aside totally away from Slavic women's clothing.
            > Your article mentions that lime trees(aka linden), were killed to make
            > footwear with their bark. They probably were not killed but coppiced.
            <<snip>>
            > Ilaria
          • Lynda Fjellman
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 4, 2006
              I was amazed at how many trees it takes to make a pair of shoes(and how
              quickly they wear out). If they were very popular, they must have had a
              LOT of land in Lime trees.
              I'm thinking about coppicing right now, I have some land and have
              decided to start a wood lot.
              Ilaria

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 4, 2006
                What about use of leather?

                --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

                > I was amazed at how many trees it takes to make a
                > pair of shoes(and how
                > quickly they wear out). If they were very popular,
                > they must have had a
                > LOT of land in Lime trees.
                > I'm thinking about coppicing right now, I have some
                > land and have
                > decided to start a wood lot.
                > Ilaria
                >

                > Ilaria,
                > Thank-you, I was thinking it would be something
                > similar to
                > ring-barking, and had completely forgotton about
                > coppicing. (I should
                > know better, I study botany at uni.)
                >
                > It makes a lot more sense, otherwise an entire
                > village would probably
                > level a forest in a few years, just for making shoes
                > let alone other
                > woven articles like baskets, without the trees
                > re-growing.
                >
                > ~Asfridhr
                >
                > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Lynda Fjellman"
                > <lfjellman@...> wrote:
                >
                > > On an aside totally away from Slavic women's
                > clothing.
                > > Your article mentions that lime trees(aka linden),
                > were killed to make
                > > footwear with their bark. They probably were not
                > killed but coppiced.
                > <<snip>>
                > > Ilaria

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • L.M. Kies
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 4, 2006
                  Well, 'dak, leather is for hoity-toity city-folk.  Good honest country peasants wear bast.

                  ;)

                  Sofya