Baltic Garb invo

  • Su Ralston
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2006
      Astridhr wrote:
      I just webbed some of my research on 10th c. Baltic women's garb, any
      comments on it would be appreciated.
      http://499angels.net/baltic/asfridhr/clothing.html

      Interesting article, but none of the pictures were visible. I'll see if I
      can get you more concrete comments later...

      Su of the Silver Horn, Caid
      Su Ralston, Fullerton, CA
    • Marilee Humason
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2006
        I couldn't get pictures either, but I would love to
        see them with the text, it looked pretty good so far.
        Anastasia

        --- Su Ralston <suralston@...> wrote:

        > Astridhr wrote:
        > I just webbed some of my research on 10th c. Baltic
        > women's garb, any
        > comments on it would be appreciated.
        > http://499angels.net/baltic/asfridhr/clothing.html
        >
        > Interesting article, but none of the pictures were
        > visible. I'll see if I
        > can get you more concrete comments later...
        >
        > Su of the Silver Horn, Caid
        > Su Ralston, Fullerton, CA

      • Stephanie M. Ross
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2006
          > Astridhr wrote:
          > I just webbed some of my research on 10th c. Baltic women's garb, any
          > comments on it would be appreciated.
          > http://499angels.net/baltic/asfridhr/clothing.html

          I had no trouble accessing the pictures or printing out the article. I
          use Firefox as my browser; perhaps that makes a difference. However,
          the Word doc in the files section at Yahoo Groups won't bring up
          pictures. I thought it was a well-done article. Thank you for webbing it!
          The tribe the Latgalians resided in which modern country, Latvia? So,
          they wore a tie-on apron instead of an apron-dress? And they used pins
          instead of brooches for their beads and accessories? The headdresses
          are fascinating. Do you know if any hair showed, or was it completely
          covered in the Russian fashion? In regards to how they pinned their
          veil back, I have a drawing of a reconstruction of chains from an
          Estonian archeological dig that shows it holding the veil back. Could
          we trade research? I have some info from an Estonian book _Eesti
          Rahvaroivaid_ that I'd like to send you hard-copies of. I would love
          hard-copies of the archeology finds that you put in the files section.
          Also, Latvian women have worn a waist-skirt over their
          sorochkas/chemises for how long? I am trying to document this as far
          back as I can concerning its use in Russian peasant costume. I think I
          can make a pretty convincing argument that the Viking apron dress
          became the sarafan, but I haven't found any kind of hard documentation
          for a skirt over the sorochka until late in our period. Thanks for
          your help!

          Nadya