RE : [sig] Baltic garb info.

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2006
      >I just webbed some of my research on 10th c. Baltic women's garb, any
      >comments on it would be appreciated.
      >http://499angels.net/baltic/asfridhr/clothing.html

      Very cool.  The only problem I saw was that the pictures weren't working.
      I didn't have any trouble understanding it otherwise.

      I did have a couple of questions, though.  I see you mentioned NESAT VI in your references.  I've been trying to find NESAT IV because it is supposed to have an article about some Russian tablet weaving bands.  Do you have easy access to it?
      (My "local" 3-hours-away university library only seems to have NESAT VII.)

      I'm in the process of gathering _hard_ evidence that medieval Russians did card-weaving.

      I was also wondering if you had illustrations of the bronze tablet-weaving kit that you mentioned.

      Thanks,
      Sofya

      Lisa M. Kies, MD
      Mason City, IA
      Lady Sofya la Rus
      Shire of Heraldshill, Calontir
      "Si no necare, sana."
    • quokkaqueen
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2006
        Sorry guys -- the pictures should work now.

        I do have pictures (and an article in German) about the bronze tablet
        weaving kits, and some line drawings of amber tablets as well. :) I
        will scan them in soonish and post a link to them.

        Sorry, the only volumes of NESAT available in the country are vols. 3,
        6 and 7. Volumes 3 and 7 are available in my state, volume 6 I have to
        pay to get via inter-library loan.
        (see http://librariesaustralia.nla.gov.au/)

        Will scan in some pretty pictures shortly :)
        ~Asfridhr

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2006
          Sofya,
          I created a new photo folder on the SIG yahoogroups page, called
          'Baltic', where I've put the tablet weaving kit pictures. The picture
          quality varies depending on the source, but there's a few in colour
          that are clearer.

          ~Asfridhr

          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:
          > I was also wondering if you had illustrations of the bronze
          tablet-weaving kit that you mentioned.

          > Thanks,
          > Sofya
        • Lynda Fjellman
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2006
            The pictures do work, thanks.

            On an aside totally away from Slavic women's clothing.
            Your article mentions that lime trees(aka linden), were killed to make
            footwear with their bark. They probably were not killed but coppiced.
            Many trees, lime included, will regrow from the stumps when you cut
            them, this is termed coppicing when you grow trees on purpose for poles,
            wood, and in this case fiber, cutting them on a schedule and allowing
            them to regrow for a specific period of years before cutting again.
            Ilaria

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2006
              Ilaria,
              Thank-you, I was thinking it would be something similar to
              ring-barking, and had completely forgotton about coppicing. (I should
              know better, I study botany at uni.)

              It makes a lot more sense, otherwise an entire village would probably
              level a forest in a few years, just for making shoes let alone other
              woven articles like baskets, without the trees re-growing.

              ~Asfridhr

              --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Lynda Fjellman" <lfjellman@...> wrote:

              > On an aside totally away from Slavic women's clothing.
              > Your article mentions that lime trees(aka linden), were killed to make
              > footwear with their bark. They probably were not killed but coppiced.
              <<snip>>
              > Ilaria
            • Lynda Fjellman
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 4, 2006
                I was amazed at how many trees it takes to make a pair of shoes(and how
                quickly they wear out). If they were very popular, they must have had a
                LOT of land in Lime trees.
                I'm thinking about coppicing right now, I have some land and have
                decided to start a wood lot.
                Ilaria

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 4, 2006
                  What about use of leather?

                  --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

                  > I was amazed at how many trees it takes to make a
                  > pair of shoes(and how
                  > quickly they wear out). If they were very popular,
                  > they must have had a
                  > LOT of land in Lime trees.
                  > I'm thinking about coppicing right now, I have some
                  > land and have
                  > decided to start a wood lot.
                  > Ilaria
                  >

                  > Ilaria,
                  > Thank-you, I was thinking it would be something
                  > similar to
                  > ring-barking, and had completely forgotton about
                  > coppicing. (I should
                  > know better, I study botany at uni.)
                  >
                  > It makes a lot more sense, otherwise an entire
                  > village would probably
                  > level a forest in a few years, just for making shoes
                  > let alone other
                  > woven articles like baskets, without the trees
                  > re-growing.
                  >
                  > ~Asfridhr
                  >
                  > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Lynda Fjellman"
                  > <lfjellman@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > On an aside totally away from Slavic women's
                  > clothing.
                  > > Your article mentions that lime trees(aka linden),
                  > were killed to make
                  > > footwear with their bark. They probably were not
                  > killed but coppiced.
                  > <<snip>>
                  > > Ilaria

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • L.M. Kies
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 4, 2006
                    Well, 'dak, leather is for hoity-toity city-folk.  Good honest country peasants wear bast.

                    ;)

                    Sofya