Re: period curtseying in Moscovite Rus

  • MHoll@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 1999
      In a message dated 12/6/1999 6:21:02 AM Central Standard Time,
      timbo@... writes:

      > Full obsciesence in the Byzantine
      > manner before the Tsar.

      *Tsar*, indeed, and *Byzantine*. It would be a late-period thing, no earlier
      than Ivan III who titled himself, and Russia, the heirs to the Byzantine
      idea. Do you have a ref. to where it's mentioned? I thought I might have come
      across it, but wasn't sure.

      Predslava,
      reminded once more why she hates Muscovy.
      (Except for more costume documentation, can anyone tell me what's good about
      it?)
    • timbo@xxxxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 1999
        For a woman, the only curtsey I have ever read was the kiss on the
        cheek and a glass of vodka when meeting the wife as the show of
        special closeness between men. Maybe Kollman has written further on
        this. For men, there are three. Full obsciesence in the Byzantine
        manner before the Tsar. Symbolic obsciesence by bending at the was
        and touching the ground. Informal bow with right hand over heart and
        hat in other hand. The last two are with hat in hand to be safe.
        Urban legend has it that Ivan the Terrible had some Turkish
        ambassidors hats nailed to thier heads when they neglected to take
        them off in his presence.
        'dak