Re: [sig] A proposal

  • Paul W Goldschmidt
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 20, 2006
      Yana,

      Are you looking for a new moderator or advice on what to do about
      folks who don't clip their posts or advice on if we should worry
      about the clipping of posts in the first place, or any of the above?

      If need be, I will volunteer to moderate the list.

      -- Paul

      At 03:58 PM 9/20/2006, you wrote:
      >Well, it's been a while since I asked for help with moderating the
      >list (Liudmila graciously stepped in when I was away at Pennsic), but
      >no one else has stepped forward to put their hat in the ring.
      >
      >Instead of what I have been doing, which is editing messages for
      >length (you know, those ones that come through with "clip your posts!"
      >appended to them) and sometimes for content, which takes a lot of time
      >and effort, I have the following two options that I'd like people to
      >think over and comment on:
    • yanagroznaia
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 20, 2006
        > Are you looking for a new moderator or advice on what to do about
        > folks who don't clip their posts or advice on if we should worry
        > about the clipping of posts in the first place, or any of the above?

        Nope, not looking for a new moderator, just wondering how the members
        of the list want me to handle people who do not clip their posts.

        But if there is anyone who would like to join Liudmila and I in
        keeping an eye on the *content* of the list (we do get trolls,
        commercial advertisements, and other questionable posts coming through
        in the back stage area that we handle) please let us know.

        --Yana
      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 21, 2006
          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "yanagroznaia" <yanajenn@...> wrote:

          > Instead of what I have been doing, which is editing messages for
          > length (you know, those ones that come through with "clip your
          posts!"
          > appended to them) and sometimes for content, which takes a lot of
          time
          > and effort, I have the following two options that I'd like people to
          > think over and comment on:

          Unfortunately, YahooGroups is active working against you on this,
          since they have made the new digest version nearly impossible to snip
          from.

          Although as Seneschal of Drachenwald I was on about 90 lists, I'm only
          on 25 or so now, and only a few of them have this problem, and this is
          the only one that raises a fuss about it. I suggest ignoring it.

          Janos
        • Rick Orli
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 21, 2006
            If you get email daily/periodic updates, you notice the not-clipped
            posts, if you use the web interface you mostly don't. People who
            always use the web are probabally mostly unaware of the issue. If you
            check your stats you will see that most people use the web-only
            interface, so likely don't care.
            -Rick

            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

            > > I know that there are plenty of
            > > people here who
            > > appreciate not having to wade through a huge string
            > > of unnecessary
            > > quoting, but it is too much for one person to keep
            > > up with.
            > >
            > > Any ideas?

          • DOUGLAS PETROFF
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 21, 2006
              Could there be a limit on the size of the post for those who don't clip?
              Sergius

              > > Any ideas?
              > >
              > > --Yana
              >

              > .

            • Paul W Goldschmidt
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 21, 2006
                I'm interested in hearing from people about whether they like having
                posts clipped. It used to be something that everyone wanted but
                email was clunkier in those days. Have people's thoughts changed or
                stayed the same?

                I rather like having clipped posts myself (although I occasionally
                forget), although I'll admit that I like to have entire email chains
                for work email so I don't have to keep all of the old emails. So,
                I'm not consistent.

                Thoughts?

                -- Paul

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 22, 2006
                  > I'm interested in hearing from people about whether
                  > they like having
                  > posts clipped. It used to be something that
                  > everyone wanted but
                  > email was clunkier in those days. Have people's
                  > thoughts changed or stayed the same?

                  Personally, I find it irrelavant. My work email
                  doesn't allow us to clip, for precisely the sort of
                  "trail" you mention, Paul. But for e-lists like this,
                  I find it a non-issue. Scrolling does not bother me.

                  --Sfandra

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • norm minzey
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 22, 2006
                    Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...> wrote: I rather like having clipped posts myself
                    Thoughts?

                    -- Paul

                    Recent Activity

                    2
                    New Members

                    Visit Your Group

                    Medieval tapestry
                    Medieval costume
                    Medieval and renaissance costume

                    Yahoo! News
                    Entertainment News
                    The latest on stars,
                    movies, and more

                    Yahoo! Avatars
                    Make a Virtual You
                    Show your style &
                    mood in Messenger.

                    Yahoo! TV
                    "The 9"
                    Daily count down
                    of top Web finds.

                    .

                    I enjoy clipped emails. If I notice half a page of quoted items and/or a list of peoples names, I normally don't bother looking for an end to it and delete it right away. Hope it wasn't important....

                    Vlad

                  • Michele Frykas
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 22, 2006
                      Actually, I appreciate when people clip their posts. I read all of my a-groups in digest format and if posts are not clipped I often end up skipping the entire thing.

                      I was never a fan of on-line viewing. If your computer is slow or you have a bad connection, it takes forever to download each message for viewing. Also, I find the advertising to be annoying when viewing on-line.

                      Michele (aka Dzinovia)
                    • S. Butler
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 25, 2006
                        People who don't clip should be flogged, but it's not worth the aggro to
                        do it for them. I had no idea someone was that dedicated. Thank you!

                        (I particularly notice because I'm often wading through a month of digests)

                        - Leszek
                        ++>
                      • yanajenn
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 26, 2006
                          Well, the SIG membership has spoken and the reply to the question of
                          whether it was important to continue moderating posters for excessive
                          quoting was a resounding...

                          "...<shrug> meh."

                          Works for me!

                          I'm going to start "unmoderating" people as soon as I figure out if
                          they are real and not robots. Or whatever. Bear with me, it's going to
                          take some time for me to change my reflexes and bite my tongue when I
                          see huge posts come through.

                          No worries, I'll still be here to put the heavy foot down if needed
                          when discussions get out of hand. Luckily, that doesn't seem to happen
                          very often <knocking on wood to ward off a jinx>. And I'll keep
                          protecting everyone <takes Superman stance> from the ad-spam that
                          tries to come through occasionally. In the meantime...

                          ...be good to each other!

                          --Yana, the slightly less Groznaia
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 27, 2006
                            You'll always have a club and a whip in my mind, Miss
                            Less Groznaia!

                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 27, 2006
                              --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Tim Nalley <mordakus@...> wrote:

                              > You'll always have a club and a whip in my mind, Miss
                              > Less Groznaia!

                              Shhh! That was supposed to be just between us two...

                              Oh, and Dak? CLIP YOUR POSTS!

                              Gah.

                              --Yana :-)