Croatian Costume

  • Katherine Barich
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 20 2:43 PM
      Greetings to the list,

      I am Katrine de Saint Brieuc, of An Tir, and my husband would like to have a 16th century-ish Croatian outfit. I have a few pieces of artwork, but am wondering if anyone has any specific resources to share?

      Thank you for letting me join your list!
    • charles stefanich
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 20 8:15 PM
        Try http://jegor.srce.hr/husar. This site is by noted Croatian military historian and artist Velimir Vuksic. There are around 100 paintings from ancient to late Middle Ages. Well researched
        Valkai Istvan

        Katherine Barich <wheezul@...> wrote:
        Greetings to the list,

        I am Katrine de Saint Brieuc, of An Tir, and my husband would like to have a 16th century-ish Croatian outfit. I have a few pieces of artwork, but am wondering if anyone has any specific resources to share?

        Thank you for letting me join your list!

      • Lynda Fjellman
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 22 12:57 PM
          Is there something clipped or missing from this? It isn't working for
          me.
          Ilaria

          Try http://jegor.srce.hr/husar
        • Katherine Barich
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 22 3:30 PM
            Greetings Ilaria,

            I understand you might not be loving all expensive books Earl Edward is bringing home to looking :)

            I did a google - the first part of the URL is jagor -

            http://jagor.src.hr/husar

            Katrine

            From: "Lynda Fjellman" <lfjellman@...>
            Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:57:56 -0700

            >Is there something clipped or missing from this? It isn't working for
            >me.
            >Ilaria
            >

            >Try http://jegor.srce.hr/husar

          • Kseniia Smolnianina
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 22 4:58 PM
              Hey, Katrine! Welcome! :) Wish I could help, but Russian's pretty much
              all I know...

              --Kseniia

              On 9/20/06, Katherine Barich <wheezul@...> wrote:

              > Greetings to the list,
              >
              > I am Katrine de Saint Brieuc, of An Tir, and my husband would like to have
              > a 16th century-ish Croatian outfit. I have a few pieces of artwork, but am
              > wondering if anyone has any specific resources to share?
              >
              > Thank you for letting me join your list!
              >
              > __._,_.__

            • charles stefanich

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 23 6:08 AM
                  Hey guys the adress is http://jagor.srce.hr/husar.

                  not jegor I guess its just a typo

                  --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

                  > Is there something clipped or missing from this? It
                  > isn't working for
                  > me.
                  > Ilaria
                  >

                  > Try http://jegor.srce.hr/husar

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Lynda Fjellman
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 25 12:24 PM
                    Thanks for the link, but I must admit I am a bit disappointed. All the
                    pictures I looked at are modern re-drawings.
                    Even if in horrible condition, I need to see the originals. I don't
                    trust re-drawings.
                    Are there links for any of these pictures. I know where to find pics
                    for armor, it is the clothing and horse gear I am interested in. Either
                    actual extant pieces or pictures from the era.
                    Ilaria

                    Hey guys the adress is http://jagor.srce.hr/husar.

                    not jegor I guess its just a typo
                  • Rick Orli
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 26 9:35 AM
                      eh-hum, you visited a famous artist's website of his artwork, not a
                      history website.
                      Sorry you are disapointed in the artist's works, and good luck in
                      creating that history website, filled with the original iconography
                      which you will collect from the world's libraries and museams, which
                      will wow us all. -Rick

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 26 11:21 AM
                        Hmm.
                        That site was being put forward as a place to go for "research" and
                        information on Croatian Costume.
                        Guess I thought that I would find more information than modern
                        paintings.

                        There is really no reason to be rude Mr. Orli. Mistakes happen.
                        Ilaria

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 26 9:35 PM
                          I have been looking for years for information on Croatian garb. Mr. Vuksic's site is all I've been able to find. Since he is a well know illustrator for the Osprey series of books I have some confidence in his research. He also authored a book on Croatian Warriors which I can't find anywhere. I believe it was published in Yugoslavia before the Independence of Croatia. I get the feeling unless some one goes to Croatia and scours the museums and gets pictures Mr. Vuksic's drawings are going to be the best I can find. If any one has any other resources I would really like to have them.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 27 11:35 AM
                            charles stefanich writes:
                            >I have been looking for years for information on Croatian garb. Mr. Vuksic's site is all I've been able to find. Since he is a well know illustrator for the Osprey series of books I have some confidence in his research. He also authored a book on Croatian Warriors which I can't find anywhere. I believe it was published in Yugoslavia before the Independence of Croatia. I get the feeling unless some one goes to Croatia and scours the museums and gets pictures Mr. Vuksic's drawings are going to be the best I can find. If any one has any other resources I would really like to have them.
                            > Valkai Istvan

                            I have access to a book at the University library where I work on the history of Yugoslavian costume that has some original 16th century artwork of Croatian warriors. I havent' really been scouring for earlier periods, but I can look. It does have some further period artwork, but it is a fairly small survey, written in cyrillic in Serbo-Croatian. (I can't read too much of it yet.) The book information is:

                            Author: Vasiæ, Pavle, 1907-
                            Title: Nošnja naroda Jugoslavije kroz istoriju.
                            Publisher: Beograd, Zavod za izdavanje udžbenika Socijalistièke Republike Srbije [1968]

                            I know Vecellio's Renaissance costume book has what is shown to be a Croatian, but sometimes this gets titled as "Polish". I have also run across an image in Emperor Maximilian's "Weisskunig" showing Max learning Croatian from what appears to be a Croat [IIRC]. I also seem to remember that there is a grave marker of a 16th century Croatian noble soldier that is quite detailed.

                            I've also been doing a survey of Croatian art books, when I can find them :) So far I've been noticing that the medieval trend is sometimes very Venetian looking, and sometimes there is a strong Byzantine Greek component, and again sometimes very Turkic in feel. I am starting to think costume in this area was vastly influenced by the current political situation.

                            I am quite excited to have just received a loverly book on Inter Library Loan called Croatian Folk Culture at the Crossroads. This is more directed at folk customs and clothing at the end of the 19th century, but I hope to learn quite a bit about later clothing that may give me some clues. This book is gorgeous and full of color photos.

                            Valkai, what period are you intereted in? I'll share the things I have found so far if you contact me off list.

                            Katherine Barich
                            (Katrine de Saint Brieuc in the SCA)
                          • Kresimir Zeravica
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 30 8:27 AM
                              Dear Sir
                              The book you are refering to is a book from Tomislav
                              and Viseslav Aralica (they are both historians) and it
                              bears the title (in croatian) "Hrvatski ratnici kroz
                              stoljeca" (or in eng) "Croatian warriors through the
                              centuries" its study spans from the year 800 ad thru
                              1918 and it includes illustrations from Mr.
                              Vukusic...or I presume it is so. The book was
                              published in 1996 which was three years after the
                              world recognised Croatia as an independent
                              country...it is highly unlikely that a study upon
                              Croatian warriors would have been done in Yugolsavia
                              and its oppressive regime towards us Croats.
                              But that is not the reason I am responding...you see I
                              have the book in question and if you tell me what you
                              are interested in specificaly I might be able to scan
                              and post sections of it for you.

                              And by the way officially there is no study made
                              solely on historical garb in Croatia as of yet...and
                              trust me I have tried to find it. I spoke with a
                              multitude of people in Croatia, historians and heads
                              of different museums. They tell me stuff like this
                              "Yeah I know its a crime really but noone has gotten
                              around to make a concise compilation of all the
                              available data on any level...or at least I am not
                              aware of it."

                              Considering influences go for Hungarian, Italian
                              (Venetian), Turkish or Bizanteen...depending on the
                              specific area and time you are trying to emulate.

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • Rick Orli
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 2, 2006
                                Rude, well maybe, sorry, it was meant in good humor - honest. but my
                                suggestion is dead serious. Vusik's work is a terrific seconday
                                source, just about the only one easy to get to in its obscure area -
                                if its not good enough, find the Primary and make it available to all
                                of us. Nor is my suggestion empty, that is exactly what I would do if
                                I were researching croat stuff.

                                I don't think Vusik's email works on the website, but if you want to
                                contact him to ask him about his source materials, send me a note off-
                                line.
                                -RIck
                                --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Lynda Fjellman" <lfjellman@...> wrote:

                                > Hmm.
                                > That site was being put forward as a place to go for "research" and
                                > information on Croatian Costume.
                                > Guess I thought that I would find more information than modern
                                > paintings.
                                >
                                > There is really no reason to be rude Mr. Orli. Mistakes happen.
                                > Ilaria
                                >

                                > eh-hum, you visited a famous artist's website of his artwork, not a
                                > history website.
                                > Sorry you are disapointed in the artist's works, and good luck in
                                > creating that history website, filled with the original iconography
                                > which you will collect
                              • Lynda Fjellman
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 2, 2006
                                  I'm not actually researching Croatian anything, I am mildly interested
                                  in the whole Slavic area since my late SCA period Scots husband has gone
                                  to live in Poland. I get to make some of the clothing you see, and I
                                  want to make it right.

                                  I generally tell folks to pick up Osprey books as they are pretty good
                                  for beginners and not too bad for more advanced information, but to
                                  ignore the color pictures in the middle as they are modern
                                  interpretations of period stuff. I have difficulty in reconciling some
                                  of the paintings with actual period sources I've seen and would be
                                  interested in discussing sources with the artist at some point. I know
                                  there is tons of stuff out there that I haven't had access to. Mr.
                                  Vusik is a fine artist and his armor paintings are very good, it is
                                  where some conjecture is being used(due to lack or quality of primary
                                  sources) that we all have to watch out and work to find the best
                                  material we can.

                                  I actually do have a website where I try to get folks started in my
                                  particular fields of interest. Sorry, practically nothing Slavic there
                                  at all. Perhaps that will change after our trip(to England and Poland)
                                  next year.
                                  Any suggestions on where to go to see stuff???
                                  Ilaria
                                  www.ilaria.veltri.tripod.com

                                  Rude, well maybe, sorry, it was meant in good humor - honest. but my
                                  suggestion is dead serious. Vusik's work is a terrific seconday
                                  source, just about the only one easy to get to in its obscure area -
                                  if its not good enough, find the Primary and make it available to all
                                  of us. Nor is my suggestion empty, that is exactly what I would do if
                                  I were researching croat stuff.

                                  I don't think Vusik's email works on the website, but if you want to
                                  contact him to ask him about his source materials, send me a note off-
                                  line.
                                  -RIck
                                  --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Lynda Fjellman" <lfjellman@...> wrote:

                                  > Hmm.
                                  > That site was being put forward as a place to go for "research" and
                                  > information on Croatian Costume.
                                  > Guess I thought that I would find more information than modern
                                  > paintings.
                                  >
                                  > There is really no reason to be rude Mr. Orli. Mistakes happen.
                                  > Ilaria
                                  >

                                  > eh-hum, you visited a famous artist's website of his artwork, not a
                                  > history website.
                                  > Sorry you are disapointed in the artist's works, and good luck in
                                  > creating that history website, filled with the original iconography
                                  > which you will collect
                                • Rick Orli
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 3, 2006
                                    The plates represent, or should represent, the interpertation of a
                                    trained scholar and expert imersed in the subject and privy to lots
                                    of primary materials the rest of us can't access; their guess is
                                    probabally better than most guesses. Also, the author is responsible
                                    for content, not the artist. Therefore, for all their faults, they
                                    represent 'state of the art' of what is known.

                                    "should" and reality diverge, and some of the osprey books are
                                    junk, , with errors that would be funny if they were not so sad
                                    (like the horse archer with the bow strung in an impossible way).
                                    Some are very good.

                                    I'm wondering if that might be an interesting use of the poll
                                    feature of this group, if people were asked to rate the dozen or so
                                    most available reference books on our period, including quality of
                                    plates, etc.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 3, 2006
                                      Well, strictly speaking, any artistic renditions
                                      are illustrative at best in the Ospery's and function
                                      only in a visualization and entertainment capacity!
                                      Even period drawings and paintings are considered
                                      only qualified secondary sources if also backed up by
                                      an artifact of similar make, like an archeological
                                      drawing from a dig.
                                      In most cases, drawings are tertiary only because
                                      they are completely subject to artistic licence at
                                      best and the demands of the original patron for a more
                                      flattering portrayal at worse.
                                      'dok

                                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                                    • Rick Orli
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 4, 2006
                                        Modern drawings are no more or less 'secondary' than the text, and
                                        if the words seem less of a speculative interpretation or even guess
                                        than the picture, then the reader is under an illusion.

                                        Most histories are rife with passages where the author tell us (for
                                        example) what this or that King or general was thinking, his
                                        motives, etc. - all guesswork; hopefully informed and reasonable
                                        guesswork.

                                        The illustration is just more clearly an *example* of what may have
                                        been. -Rick

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 5, 2006
                                          LOL! A very succinct definition of the difference
                                          between historial vs. antiquarian research
                                          /interpretation. I generally read every source and
                                          look for re-occuring "facts", then try to verify those
                                          "facts" with the timeline we can verify....Often, I've
                                          found that a whole new historical record begins to
                                          appear behind the hyperboly and politik! One of my
                                          professors used to say that history is the true
                                          sausage factory, every bit of nasty meat and
                                          eyewatering spice goes into it and nice, pleasant
                                          looking sausages emerge in the publish or perish
                                          histories, like those drawings! Very illustrative and
                                          sanitized but hardly definitive.
                                          The other end is gettiing so gritty in your
                                          interpretation that you are unable to see that some
                                          groups were indeed sanitized and rigorously neat and
                                          clean, almost benial! The Civil War folks have that
                                          huge blind spot but niether faction can compromise
                                          enough to utilize it at events to show one of the more
                                          interesting aspects of that time....politics
                                          mascarading as record, the triumph of form over
                                          matter.
                                          Always enjoy your posts!
                                          'dok

                                          http://mail.yahoo.com