Re: [sig] Tatar / Nomadic Eurasian footwear

  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 13 1:49 AM
      Greetings!

      I am awfully sorry but...

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Joseph Root <jjeremyroot@...>
      To: sig@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 09:28:13 -0700 (PDT)
      Subject: [sig] Tatar / Nomadic Eurasian footwear

      > I need to make myself and my Tatar wife some boots for SCA garb.
      > It has been difficult finding the proper footwear for Tatars of the earlier centuries of Kievan and
      What do yiou mean by "Tatar of Kievan Russia"? The modern [Volga] Tatar of Russia are a very complicated mixture of the Cuman, Bulgar & other Turcic nomads conquering the Volga region, with the Finnish population that dwelt there before. The today's Krimea Tatar are a yet more complicated mixture, traditionally treated as relatives to Khazar. The Tatar of the Kievan realm time are but a South Siberian tribe, that is to be conquered by Chenghis Khan in further years.

      Tatar russia. I am not so good at transcribing a pattern from an ancient painting so I was hoping to find

      If you mean the Mongol invasion and the Mongol rule (vassalage), then one can't definitely say if any Tatar were the rulers (alongside with the mongol).
      BTW, what painting do yiou mean, what country? Rather good examples of the Mongol/their allies' garb can be seen in Japanese, Persian and Chinese pictures and miniatures in illuminated chronicles.

      someone who already has. Has anyone done this?
      > Also I have a few photos my wife took in the Tobolsk Museum of really old slavic garb, even some boots
      ??????????????????
      Tobolsk, Tiumen region, a port on Irtysh river, a former Siberian capital city, was founded in 1587. It occupies its present location since 1610. The only slavs to leave some garb were the late-period Novgorod merchants (of which I strongly doubt) and the Russians that conquered the region defeating local tribes.

      made from woven plant material if anyone is interested.
      Do you mean lime (linden) bark-woven footwear, lapti? Then pics are appreciated at least by me. :-) I lack period info of Lapti patterns, which now are strictly regional, differing much from each other.

      > I can trade pictures with anyone interested. I would like to see pics of boots others have made.

      Bye, Alex
    • Joseph Root
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 13 8:38 AM
        Da! They are Lapti, but they are full sized like valyenki. I will send you the photos when I get back home tonight.

        Where do you live Alexy?
        We live in Boston, MA USA.