RE : [sig] Advice on A&S

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2006
      ------- Original Message -------
      >I'm taking this opportunity for those reading this post to further my
      >education. I have people tell me that Polish women copied the clothing
      >of Germany. I'm not saying it didn't happen but I haven't seen solid
      >examples of this. I have stated that in the western regions of Poland
      >there are similarities (to German clothing). It may be a matter of
      >semantics, but there is a difference between similarities and copied.

      There is definitely a difference between "similarities" and "copied".  Russian clothing researchers have similar problems when people say that Russian clothing "copied" Byzantine styles.

      Considering that western Poland was periodically colonized by/intermarried with its Germanic neighbors in a fluid/shifting cultural boundary area... it seems inaccurate to accuse one side of "copying" when they were both intermingling there.  Especially since, for much of period, Poland was arguably a greater power in the region than the various German states/Holy Roman Empire, etc. (Just not as well documented by our predominately Anglo-French histories.)

      The use of the terms may be just semantics, but it implies to me that the person speaking may have imposed modern notions of the relative influence of nations (i.e. WWII Germany vs. Poland) on period cultural relationships.

      And isn't the modern suit jacket derived from the "Polish coat"?  ;)

      Sofya

      Lisa M. Kies, MD
      Mason City, IA
      Lady Sofya la Rus
      Shire of Heraldshill, Calontir
      "Si no necare, sana."
    • magdalenag56
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2006
        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

        Yes but I don't think the west is ready to accept that information.

        > And isn't the modern suit jacket derived from the "Polish coat"?
          ;)