RE : [sig] Pyrohy question

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2006
      ------- Original Message -------
      >And haven't we discovered last time, that we were discussing two different dishes - Pyrohy >(a sort of Pelmeni) from Polish couisine and Pirogi (pies) from >Russian/Ukrainian/Byelorussian one?

      Well, that's a good point.  I gave up trying to figure out the exact terminology a couple of years ago, because there are different terms depending on whether the item is baked, boiled or fried, and depending on the kind of filling, and the exact shape/size of the final product and depending on whether the recipe comes from the Ukraine, Byelorus, the Caucasus, Poland, etc.

      I doubt that these fine (i.e. irritating) linguistic distinctions held in our period of interest (although obviously cultures with different langauges will have different terms), and I'm not terribly motivated to try find out for sure, especially given the lack of period sources.  Jadwiga's handout on Polish & Russian Food has: pirogi ("pies"), pirozhki ("turnovers", literally "little pies"), pyrogen (from a foreigner's account of Russian life).  And Sudakov's article on 16th Century Monastic meals quotes the following period terms: pirogi, trudonoshi (cheese pirogi, which I know from experience can be "hard to carry"), and olad'i (fritters).

      Therefore, I generally just use "pirogi" in the most general, non-specific sense of a Russian/Slavic version of filled pastry/pasty/turnover/pie unless finer distinction is required.

      Your verst-age may vary,  ;)

      Sofya

      Lisa M. Kies, MD
      Mason City, IA