Re[2]: [sig] Pyrohy question

  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2006
      Greetings all!

      And haven't we discovered last time, that we were discussing two different dishes - Pyrohy (a sort of Pelmeni) from Polish couisine and Pirogi (pies) from Russian/Ukrainian/Byelorussian one?

      > >I know that we have discussed this pyrohy (perogies) before (at least I
      > >think we have...
      > >however I am looking for source material outside of the Domestroi ...
      >
      > Good luck!  *evil cackle*
      >
      > Seriously, though, for evidence for pirogi, I take a handful of:
      >
      > http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/SCA/slavic/slavicfood.html
      >
      > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/cloistermeal.html
      >
      > Add a healthy pinch of medieval Western European sources on pastries/pasties/pies such as:
      >
      > http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Menagier/Menagier_Contents.html
      >
      > http://cs-people.bu.edu/akatlas/Buch/buch.html
      >
      > http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/recipe_toc.html
      >
      > Sprinkle liberally with traditional Russian recipes from places such as:
      >
      > http://www.russianfoods.com/
      >
      > http://www.ruscuisine.com/cooking-recipes/
      >
      > And stay away from A&S competitions run by super-strict authenticity police...  ;)

      bye,
      Alex
    • magdalenag56
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2006
        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
        <Posadnik@...> wrote:

        > > And stay away from A&S competitions run by super-strict
        authenticity police...  ;)

        The best advice I've seen (although hard to follow. Where are those
        competitions run by open minded people? Without that extant recipe (or
        article of clothing) people aren't willing to let go of their
        incorrect preconceived ideas.

        Magdalena Gdanska