Pyrohy question

  • Marina Anastasia Ozeroski
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
      I know that we have discussed this pyrohy (perogies) before (at least I
      think we have - I know the cooks list has - see Stefan's florilegium)
      however I am looking for source material outside of the Domestroi that
      maybe someone who has researched the subject more thoroughly would be
      willing to share with me. I found myself really wanting to do some
      digging and pursuing the history of traditional Ukrainian foods outside
      of "this recipe is really old". What have people done or seen that they
      would be willing to share?

      Many thanks in advance.

      Marina
    • Lente
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2006
        And if you can't find an event like that, perhaps the A&S event has a
        display area as oppose to competition area, if yes set up your pyrophy in
        that area under the information that this is a dish that could have been
        possibly made in a yadda yadda timeframe, and from yadda yadda countries.
        This would be my choice for anything I would enter, more cause I would want
        an even exchange of ideas with anyone who wants to see my display.

        Otherwise you could enter it in the strict A&S comps and know that you will
        most likely be recieving black marks, nasty comments, etc. because your docs
        aren't up to the standards they want. If you got a tough enough skin it
        could be a choice. Who knows you might make someone think.

        Kathws

        Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 5:15 AM
        Subject: [sig] Re: Pyrohy question

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7, 2006
          Hi. This is a pet peeve of mine too so I practice
          friendly clue by fouring, al la southern style. I
          always have stated the weaknesses up front and noted
          that it is a developing area of study, my current
          theories being reactive to new information as it
          becomes available.
          When I got nasty comments I would email them and
          thank them for their comments and promise to send them
          a newer version when new informatin makes a more
          complete analysis possible. I would always finish with
          a conspiritorial sentence saying that "as we both well
          know, researching Eastern European subjects is
          significantly more challenging than the voluminous
          documentation available for Western European subject
          areas....so I appreciate your patience and support all
          the more". Enjoy your new social decorum corner,
          buddy!
          But I don't take prisoners or gladly promote
          someone's own harsh attitudes. Not good for the Arts.
          'dok

          --- Lente <lente@...> wrote:

          > And if you can't find an event like that, perhaps
          > the A&S event has a
          > display area as oppose to competition area, if yes
          > set up your pyrophy in
          > that area under the information that this is a dish
          > that could have been
          > possibly made in a yadda yadda timeframe, and from
          > yadda yadda countries.
          > This would be my choice for anything I would enter,
          > more cause I would want
          > an even exchange of ideas with anyone who wants to
          > see my display.
          >
          > Otherwise you could enter it in the strict A&S comps
          > and know that you will
          > most likely be recieving black marks, nasty
          > comments, etc. because your docs
          > aren't up to the standards they want. If you got a
          > tough enough skin it
          > could be a choice. Who knows you might make someone
          > think.
          >
          > Kathws
          >
          > Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 5:15 AM
          > Subject: [sig] Re: Pyrohy question
          >

          > > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Alexey Kiyaikin aka
          > Posadnik

          > super-strict
          > > authenticity police...  ;)
          > >
          > > The best advice I've seen (although hard to
          > follow. Where are those
          > > competitions run by open minded people? Without
          > that extant recipe (or
          > > article of clothing) people aren't willing to let
          > go of their
          > > incorrect preconceived ideas.
          > >
          > > Magdalena Gdanska

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • magdalenag56
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7, 2006
            More good advice!

            I'm taking this opportunity for those reading this post to further my
            education. I have people tell me that Polish women copied the clothing
            of Germany. I'm not saying it didn't happen but I haven't seen solid
            examples of this. I have stated that in the western regions of Poland
            there are similarities (to German clothing). It may be a matter of
            semantics, but there is a difference between similarities and copied.
            Please send me any information articles, photos, websites, you may
            have to illustrate this. I will incorporate whatever I can into my
            information on Polish women's clothing and I will post my findings to
            my folder on this list for others to see.

            Has anyone heard the one about red pants (women's) in Persia is
            supposed to mean a prostitute? This is another statement that is out
            there but no one can give documentation for it. And if you value your
            life, don't repeat it to someone with a Persian persona.

            Magdalena Gdanska