Re: [sig] Re: Question for the group

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2006
      I agree with Asfridr and would like to add the
      thought that caftans have been recorded for 3000
      years, starting in Central Asia and Persia. My guess
      is that is only the first RECORDED incidences of a
      garment that is much,, much older, probably neolithic.

      Rollo's "Rus coat" is based on the Moskaskaya
      Balka artifact, which is supposedly Alanic and from
      the Caucasus. The point is that "eastern coats" are
      mentioned in several of the Sagas, both the main ones
      and the secondary ones. The problematic element on
      artifacts is that only one or two varieties survive,
      when human nature is to make do with the materials on
      hand and sew to the level that you are capable,
      resulting in a plethora of versions similar to what we
      all see in T-tunics at any SCA event!
      'dok

      http://mail.yahoo.com