Re: Question for the group

  • Judwiga Czarna Pika
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2006
      Hey Zygmunt and all.
      Yes, at this point, this is most of what I am basing my comments on... but
      if you look at the Delias and Kontusz', it still looks like the opening slit
      is in the middle.. sigh.. The one that I really like is the one that is
      clearly lined with Leopard.. I am using a leopard print on the inside of my
      red wool...
      Now, the Kontusz' I have seen seems like they have extra gores on the hip..
      good for riding. And the other jackets seem to have slits from the bottom
      hem up to maybe the knee. That would be more difficult to ride in I think..
      Ah well.. thanks all and keep any more comments coming in... I appreciate
      it!!
      Judwiga
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5, 2006
        I agree with Asfridr and would like to add the
        thought that caftans have been recorded for 3000
        years, starting in Central Asia and Persia. My guess
        is that is only the first RECORDED incidences of a
        garment that is much,, much older, probably neolithic.

        Rollo's "Rus coat" is based on the Moskaskaya
        Balka artifact, which is supposedly Alanic and from
        the Caucasus. The point is that "eastern coats" are
        mentioned in several of the Sagas, both the main ones
        and the secondary ones. The problematic element on
        artifacts is that only one or two varieties survive,
        when human nature is to make do with the materials on
        hand and sew to the level that you are capable,
        resulting in a plethora of versions similar to what we
        all see in T-tunics at any SCA event!
        'dok

        http://mail.yahoo.com