Re: Question for the group

  • quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2006
      I may be able to help with your theory there. :)

      The Rus riding coat you've linked to (it's my favourite Viking coat
      too) isn't actually Norse at all. It's from the Caucasus and is
      usually dated to the 10th century.

      There is a fantastic issue of the Metropolitan Museum Journal Vol. 36.
      (2001) that has quite a few articles about the garment, including it's
      'geneaology' or a discussion of its' influences.

      The Met Museum Journal backcopies can be very expensive, so if you
      don't have access to these articles, and want them e-mail me off-list
      and I'd be happy to post to you a CD with the articles.

      Also, if you search for 'caftan' on the Met Museum website, you can
      get colour photographs of the front and back of the conserved garment.

      Hope this information helps,
      ~Asfridhr
      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski" <panzygmunt@...>
      wrote:
      > * - My personla, as-yet unproven theory, is that the Kontusz is
      related to
      > the Rus riding coat. See http://www.jomsb.org/Rollo/coat/coat.htm .
    • Judwiga Czarna Pika
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2006
        Hey Zygmunt and all.
        Yes, at this point, this is most of what I am basing my comments on... but
        if you look at the Delias and Kontusz', it still looks like the opening slit
        is in the middle.. sigh.. The one that I really like is the one that is
        clearly lined with Leopard.. I am using a leopard print on the inside of my
        red wool...
        Now, the Kontusz' I have seen seems like they have extra gores on the hip..
        good for riding. And the other jackets seem to have slits from the bottom
        hem up to maybe the knee. That would be more difficult to ride in I think..
        Ah well.. thanks all and keep any more comments coming in... I appreciate
        it!!
        Judwiga
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5, 2006
          I agree with Asfridr and would like to add the
          thought that caftans have been recorded for 3000
          years, starting in Central Asia and Persia. My guess
          is that is only the first RECORDED incidences of a
          garment that is much,, much older, probably neolithic.

          Rollo's "Rus coat" is based on the Moskaskaya
          Balka artifact, which is supposedly Alanic and from
          the Caucasus. The point is that "eastern coats" are
          mentioned in several of the Sagas, both the main ones
          and the secondary ones. The problematic element on
          artifacts is that only one or two varieties survive,
          when human nature is to make do with the materials on
          hand and sew to the level that you are capable,
          resulting in a plethora of versions similar to what we
          all see in T-tunics at any SCA event!
          'dok

          http://mail.yahoo.com