Re: [sig] another thought about Slavic U

  • Marina Anastasia Ozeroski
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2006
      I think that Slavic U is a great idea and if it is held late enough in
      2007 I would be able to save up for it. I like the idea of heaver garb
      and Magdalena pointed out that we might want to keep the original idea
      in mind which would make Vegas a bit difficult. I like all of the
      places mentioned but I would vote for NY as being more central to many
      people. I'm in Ottawa, Canada and as much as I like Winnipeg it is more
      expensive to fly there than any place in the US - with Vegas being the
      cheapest. I love the idea of sleigh rides - it feels so right.

      Marina Anastasia Ozeroski
    • Marina Anastasia Ozeroski
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
        I know that we have discussed this pyrohy (perogies) before (at least I
        think we have - I know the cooks list has - see Stefan's florilegium)
        however I am looking for source material outside of the Domestroi that
        maybe someone who has researched the subject more thoroughly would be
        willing to share with me. I found myself really wanting to do some
        digging and pursuing the history of traditional Ukrainian foods outside
        of "this recipe is really old". What have people done or seen that they
        would be willing to share?

        Many thanks in advance.

        Marina
      • Lente
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7, 2006
          And if you can't find an event like that, perhaps the A&S event has a
          display area as oppose to competition area, if yes set up your pyrophy in
          that area under the information that this is a dish that could have been
          possibly made in a yadda yadda timeframe, and from yadda yadda countries.
          This would be my choice for anything I would enter, more cause I would want
          an even exchange of ideas with anyone who wants to see my display.

          Otherwise you could enter it in the strict A&S comps and know that you will
          most likely be recieving black marks, nasty comments, etc. because your docs
          aren't up to the standards they want. If you got a tough enough skin it
          could be a choice. Who knows you might make someone think.

          Kathws

          Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 5:15 AM
          Subject: [sig] Re: Pyrohy question

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7, 2006
            Hi. This is a pet peeve of mine too so I practice
            friendly clue by fouring, al la southern style. I
            always have stated the weaknesses up front and noted
            that it is a developing area of study, my current
            theories being reactive to new information as it
            becomes available.
            When I got nasty comments I would email them and
            thank them for their comments and promise to send them
            a newer version when new informatin makes a more
            complete analysis possible. I would always finish with
            a conspiritorial sentence saying that "as we both well
            know, researching Eastern European subjects is
            significantly more challenging than the voluminous
            documentation available for Western European subject
            areas....so I appreciate your patience and support all
            the more". Enjoy your new social decorum corner,
            buddy!
            But I don't take prisoners or gladly promote
            someone's own harsh attitudes. Not good for the Arts.
            'dok

            --- Lente <lente@...> wrote:

            > And if you can't find an event like that, perhaps
            > the A&S event has a
            > display area as oppose to competition area, if yes
            > set up your pyrophy in
            > that area under the information that this is a dish
            > that could have been
            > possibly made in a yadda yadda timeframe, and from
            > yadda yadda countries.
            > This would be my choice for anything I would enter,
            > more cause I would want
            > an even exchange of ideas with anyone who wants to
            > see my display.
            >
            > Otherwise you could enter it in the strict A&S comps
            > and know that you will
            > most likely be recieving black marks, nasty
            > comments, etc. because your docs
            > aren't up to the standards they want. If you got a
            > tough enough skin it
            > could be a choice. Who knows you might make someone
            > think.
            >
            > Kathws
            >
            > Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 5:15 AM
            > Subject: [sig] Re: Pyrohy question
            >

            > > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Alexey Kiyaikin aka
            > Posadnik

            > super-strict
            > > authenticity police...  ;)
            > >
            > > The best advice I've seen (although hard to
            > follow. Where are those
            > > competitions run by open minded people? Without
            > that extant recipe (or
            > > article of clothing) people aren't willing to let
            > go of their
            > > incorrect preconceived ideas.
            > >
            > > Magdalena Gdanska

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • magdalenag56
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 7, 2006
              More good advice!

              I'm taking this opportunity for those reading this post to further my
              education. I have people tell me that Polish women copied the clothing
              of Germany. I'm not saying it didn't happen but I haven't seen solid
              examples of this. I have stated that in the western regions of Poland
              there are similarities (to German clothing). It may be a matter of
              semantics, but there is a difference between similarities and copied.
              Please send me any information articles, photos, websites, you may
              have to illustrate this. I will incorporate whatever I can into my
              information on Polish women's clothing and I will post my findings to
              my folder on this list for others to see.

              Has anyone heard the one about red pants (women's) in Persia is
              supposed to mean a prostitute? This is another statement that is out
              there but no one can give documentation for it. And if you value your
              life, don't repeat it to someone with a Persian persona.

              Magdalena Gdanska