another thought about Slavic U

  • magdalenag56
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1 9:32 AM
      One thought at the beginning of this thread was a time and location
      that we could wear our heavier Slavic garb. Something else for us to
      keep in mind if we are serious about this gathering.

      Magdalena
    • Marina Anastasia Ozeroski
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4 4:34 PM
        I think that Slavic U is a great idea and if it is held late enough in
        2007 I would be able to save up for it. I like the idea of heaver garb
        and Magdalena pointed out that we might want to keep the original idea
        in mind which would make Vegas a bit difficult. I like all of the
        places mentioned but I would vote for NY as being more central to many
        people. I'm in Ottawa, Canada and as much as I like Winnipeg it is more
        expensive to fly there than any place in the US - with Vegas being the
        cheapest. I love the idea of sleigh rides - it feels so right.

        Marina Anastasia Ozeroski
      • Marina Anastasia Ozeroski
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5 6:52 PM
          I know that we have discussed this pyrohy (perogies) before (at least I
          think we have - I know the cooks list has - see Stefan's florilegium)
          however I am looking for source material outside of the Domestroi that
          maybe someone who has researched the subject more thoroughly would be
          willing to share with me. I found myself really wanting to do some
          digging and pursuing the history of traditional Ukrainian foods outside
          of "this recipe is really old". What have people done or seen that they
          would be willing to share?

          Many thanks in advance.

          Marina
        • Lente
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7 6:26 AM
            And if you can't find an event like that, perhaps the A&S event has a
            display area as oppose to competition area, if yes set up your pyrophy in
            that area under the information that this is a dish that could have been
            possibly made in a yadda yadda timeframe, and from yadda yadda countries.
            This would be my choice for anything I would enter, more cause I would want
            an even exchange of ideas with anyone who wants to see my display.

            Otherwise you could enter it in the strict A&S comps and know that you will
            most likely be recieving black marks, nasty comments, etc. because your docs
            aren't up to the standards they want. If you got a tough enough skin it
            could be a choice. Who knows you might make someone think.

            Kathws

            Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 5:15 AM
            Subject: [sig] Re: Pyrohy question

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 7 8:57 AM
              Hi. This is a pet peeve of mine too so I practice
              friendly clue by fouring, al la southern style. I
              always have stated the weaknesses up front and noted
              that it is a developing area of study, my current
              theories being reactive to new information as it
              becomes available.
              When I got nasty comments I would email them and
              thank them for their comments and promise to send them
              a newer version when new informatin makes a more
              complete analysis possible. I would always finish with
              a conspiritorial sentence saying that "as we both well
              know, researching Eastern European subjects is
              significantly more challenging than the voluminous
              documentation available for Western European subject
              areas....so I appreciate your patience and support all
              the more". Enjoy your new social decorum corner,
              buddy!
              But I don't take prisoners or gladly promote
              someone's own harsh attitudes. Not good for the Arts.
              'dok

              --- Lente <lente@...> wrote:

              > And if you can't find an event like that, perhaps
              > the A&S event has a
              > display area as oppose to competition area, if yes
              > set up your pyrophy in
              > that area under the information that this is a dish
              > that could have been
              > possibly made in a yadda yadda timeframe, and from
              > yadda yadda countries.
              > This would be my choice for anything I would enter,
              > more cause I would want
              > an even exchange of ideas with anyone who wants to
              > see my display.
              >
              > Otherwise you could enter it in the strict A&S comps
              > and know that you will
              > most likely be recieving black marks, nasty
              > comments, etc. because your docs
              > aren't up to the standards they want. If you got a
              > tough enough skin it
              > could be a choice. Who knows you might make someone
              > think.
              >
              > Kathws
              >
              > Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 5:15 AM
              > Subject: [sig] Re: Pyrohy question
              >

              > > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Alexey Kiyaikin aka
              > Posadnik

              > super-strict
              > > authenticity police...  ;)
              > >
              > > The best advice I've seen (although hard to
              > follow. Where are those
              > > competitions run by open minded people? Without
              > that extant recipe (or
              > > article of clothing) people aren't willing to let
              > go of their
              > > incorrect preconceived ideas.
              > >
              > > Magdalena Gdanska

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • magdalenag56
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 7 5:15 PM
                More good advice!

                I'm taking this opportunity for those reading this post to further my
                education. I have people tell me that Polish women copied the clothing
                of Germany. I'm not saying it didn't happen but I haven't seen solid
                examples of this. I have stated that in the western regions of Poland
                there are similarities (to German clothing). It may be a matter of
                semantics, but there is a difference between similarities and copied.
                Please send me any information articles, photos, websites, you may
                have to illustrate this. I will incorporate whatever I can into my
                information on Polish women's clothing and I will post my findings to
                my folder on this list for others to see.

                Has anyone heard the one about red pants (women's) in Persia is
                supposed to mean a prostitute? This is another statement that is out
                there but no one can give documentation for it. And if you value your
                life, don't repeat it to someone with a Persian persona.

                Magdalena Gdanska