Re: [sig] Bidding on an Event

  • Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 29, 2006
      > Is Vegas Outlands or Adenveldt? I like the cheap
      > flights and Vegas action idea......
      > 'dok

      Neither. Vegas is Caid. Barony of Starkhafn:
      http://www.starkhafn.org/

      Mishka
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 29, 2006
        --- Tim Nalley <mordakus@...> wrote:

        > Is Vegas Outlands or Adenveldt? I like the cheap
        > flights and Vegas action idea......
        > 'dok

        Now that I've met you, I can imagine the smile on your
        face as you say that... :D
        --Sfandra

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 29, 2006
          Vegas is in Caid, Barony of Starkhafn.

          http://www.starkhafn.org/

          I think either an even there or having a track at Pennsic or Estrella War
          would be great.

          Posadnitsa Ianuk

          On 8/29/06, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

          > --- Tim Nalley <mordakus@... <mordakus%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
          >
          > > Is Vegas Outlands or Adenveldt? I like the cheap
          > > flights and Vegas action idea......
          > > 'dok

        • John Kowal
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 29, 2006
            Greetings All;
            I know that my Barony of Castel Rouge (Winnipeg, MB, CA) has held
            Kievan-Rus themed events in the past as well the Barony of Nordskogen
            (Mlps, MN) has held a broader themed Russian Moot with classes a couple
            of years ago. I would suggest that the site is important to attract
            attendees from across the Knowne World.

            I could offer a bid from Castel Rouge and the site would be a heritage
            site (Cooks Creek Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception) and likely a
            tour of the Ukrainian Cultural Centre and Museum. However,
            realistically speaking Castel Rouge (Winnipeg, MB, CA) is quite a bit
            off the main travel paths of most Society members and hence might not
            attract the attendance and teachers from across the Knowne World.

            The site where ever that may be ... might be better if it was near a
            large airport or better yet a hub airport to make the flight travel
            easier.

            As an aside the Knowne World Costuming Symposium for 2006 is being
            hosted by the Barony of Jararvellir (Madison, WI) in November. So
            perhaps some SIG members might want to try and check this venue out or
            offer their skills as teachers to the Stewards while the planning
            continues for a large SIG Event.
            AVL

            [Clip your posts--moderator]
          • Su Ralston
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 30, 2006
              'Dok wrote:
              >Is Vegas Outlands or Adenveldt? I like the cheap flights and Vegas action
              >idea......

              Las Vegas is Starkhafn which is part of Caid.

              Su of the Silver Horn, Caid
              Su Ralston, Fullerton, CA
            • Shannon Anderson
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 31, 2006
                I have never been to Vegas....
                I don't know how easy it would be to get cheap
                conference-room space there. It might be difficult.
                And it's doubtful that we'd get to make our own feast
                if we were using any kind of hotel. Do we have any one
                on the list with any contacts there to check this kind
                of thing out??

                Michigan sounds fine too. Is there any nearby
                airports? Hotels?

                As for Chicago (as a hub spot), I am still involved
                with the SCA there. I would suggest the University of
                Chicago's lovely site, but there is no guest space
                attached, AND it is difficult to get this site even
                for the student group there! But there are other
                options if we really are keen on Chicago.

                I suggested the site in Western NY because I have
                personal experience with it and it's quite ambiant.
                Chautauqua is a great place to host events like this
                b/c they have all the guest-space and they are very
                supportive of arts-academics. It's not close to any
                major airports, but it's about 1hr from Erie and about
                1hr 45min from Buffalo. I know there's usually cheap
                jetblue flights to buffalo for those people in jetblue
                regions. I imagine there are better sites, I just
                can't think of any that have the conference space,
                hotel space, outdoor space, all in one.

                Unfortunately for me, I don't actually *live* in
                Aethelmearc anymore. So, making a bid would require
                some convincing!

                Let me make some emails and find out what I can...

                Margarita

                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 31, 2006
                  > As for Chicago (as a hub spot), I am still involved
                  > with the SCA there. I would suggest the University
                  > of
                  > Chicago's lovely site, but there is no guest space
                  > attached, AND it is difficult to get this site even
                  > for the student group there! But there are other
                  > options if we really are keen on Chicago.

                  FWIW, the U of Chicago has a copy of Vasina's
                  "Chronicle of Ukrainian Clothing" (the Big Book) that
                  I have.
                  :D :D
                  --Sfandra

                  http://mail.yahoo.com