RE : [sig] Slightly OOP: Looking for a Name

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 13, 2006
      >Of course, we were talking about the dog name,
      >so I didn't think it had to be period-correct.

      I didn't think it had to be period-correct either, but the Period Dictionary is the only "comprehensive" source of Russian names I have, period or OOP.  :)

      However, I am wondering about
      >those people's logic..."Chernitsa" is also a title in a nunnery, feminine
      >equivalent of "chernets."

      I have noticed many "feminine" men's names in the Period Dictionary.  Maybe they were more secure in their masculinity?  Or they realized the difference between grammatical gender and social gender and the grammar wasn't perceived as any reflection on their "manhood"...

      Or maybe they didn't "notice" the feminity of the grammar in the word.  A bit like English speakers who never stop to realize that certain words are related, especially if they learn them in different contexts.   ...flame and inflammation...

      Maybe names just got spelled wrong sometimes - genitive, nominative, what's the difference...?   ;)

      Sofya