RE: RE : [sig] Slightly OOP: Looking for a Name

  • Tat'ianna Radokovaia
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 10 7:43 AM
      Thanks everyone for the wonderful name suggestions. It made it harder for
      my Lord and I to choose a name. But we have finally done so and her name is
      going to be Noch'ka.

      Tat'ianna Radokovaia

    • LiudmilaV@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 12 8:40 PM
        In a message dated 8/9/2006 6:06:18 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        lkies@... writes:

        I was going by Paul's Dictionary, which lists both Chornitsa and Noch' as
        period Russian men's names. Obviously, they are grammatically feminine, which
        is why I included them as possibilities for a female dog's name. I should have
        done a better job of explaining that in my response. :)

        Actually, Sofya, I should have done a better job looking things up. I
        didn't, just went with the language. Of course, we were talking about the dog name,
        so I didn't think it had to be period-correct. However, I am wondering about
        those people's logic..."Chernitsa" is also a title in a nunnery, feminine
        equivalent of "chernets."

        Liudmila

      • L.M. Kies
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 13 2:57 PM
          >Of course, we were talking about the dog name,
          >so I didn't think it had to be period-correct.

          I didn't think it had to be period-correct either, but the Period Dictionary is the only "comprehensive" source of Russian names I have, period or OOP.  :)

          However, I am wondering about
          >those people's logic..."Chernitsa" is also a title in a nunnery, feminine
          >equivalent of "chernets."

          I have noticed many "feminine" men's names in the Period Dictionary.  Maybe they were more secure in their masculinity?  Or they realized the difference between grammatical gender and social gender and the grammar wasn't perceived as any reflection on their "manhood"...

          Or maybe they didn't "notice" the feminity of the grammar in the word.  A bit like English speakers who never stop to realize that certain words are related, especially if they learn them in different contexts.   ...flame and inflammation...

          Maybe names just got spelled wrong sometimes - genitive, nominative, what's the difference...?   ;)

          Sofya