RE: RE : [sig] Slightly OOP: Looking for a Name

  • Deborah Peach
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 9, 2006
      Thank you all very much for the name suggestions. Now my Lord and I have to
      decide on the name that we are going to go with.

      Tat'ianna Radokovaia

      >From: "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...>
      >To: sig@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: RE : [sig] Slightly OOP: Looking for a Name
      >Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 09:02:54 -0400
      >

      > >Chornittsa is feminine, and so is Noch'.
      >
      >I was going by Paul's Dictionary, which lists both Chornitsa and Noch' as
      >period Russian men's names.  Obviously, they are grammatically
      >feminine, which is why I included them as possibilities for a female dog's
      >name.  I should have done a better job of explaining that in my
      >response.  :)
      >
      >Sofya

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Tat'ianna Radokovaia
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 10, 2006
        Thanks everyone for the wonderful name suggestions. It made it harder for
        my Lord and I to choose a name. But we have finally done so and her name is
        going to be Noch'ka.

        Tat'ianna Radokovaia

      • LiudmilaV@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 12, 2006
          In a message dated 8/9/2006 6:06:18 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
          lkies@... writes:

          I was going by Paul's Dictionary, which lists both Chornitsa and Noch' as
          period Russian men's names. Obviously, they are grammatically feminine, which
          is why I included them as possibilities for a female dog's name. I should have
          done a better job of explaining that in my response. :)

          Actually, Sofya, I should have done a better job looking things up. I
          didn't, just went with the language. Of course, we were talking about the dog name,
          so I didn't think it had to be period-correct. However, I am wondering about
          those people's logic..."Chernitsa" is also a title in a nunnery, feminine
          equivalent of "chernets."

          Liudmila

        • L.M. Kies
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 13, 2006
            >Of course, we were talking about the dog name,
            >so I didn't think it had to be period-correct.

            I didn't think it had to be period-correct either, but the Period Dictionary is the only "comprehensive" source of Russian names I have, period or OOP.  :)

            However, I am wondering about
            >those people's logic..."Chernitsa" is also a title in a nunnery, feminine
            >equivalent of "chernets."

            I have noticed many "feminine" men's names in the Period Dictionary.  Maybe they were more secure in their masculinity?  Or they realized the difference between grammatical gender and social gender and the grammar wasn't perceived as any reflection on their "manhood"...

            Or maybe they didn't "notice" the feminity of the grammar in the word.  A bit like English speakers who never stop to realize that certain words are related, especially if they learn them in different contexts.   ...flame and inflammation...

            Maybe names just got spelled wrong sometimes - genitive, nominative, what's the difference...?   ;)

            Sofya