RE : [sig] Slightly OOP: Looking for a Name

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 8, 2006
      >I am getting a midnight black female Pomeranian in September and so far all of our Pomeranians have Russian names. We would like to have a name for her that means black, midnight, darkness, or anything similar. We are having trouble finding a name or word that we like, any help would be greatly appreciated. So far we have Nikolai, Malakhiia, Kalista, and Misha.

      I've taken the liberty of writing some of these more phonetically, since the Library of Congress translation system used in the Dictionary of Period Russian Names writes both the letters "ye" and "yo" as "e", but they are, of course, pronounced differently.

      "black" names: (LOC transliteration = chern...)
      Chornitsa (actually masculine)
      Chornaya
      Chorn'ka
      Chornislava (black praise/glory)

      "night" names:
      Noch' (actually masculine)
      Noch'naya
      I don't know if "Nochka" is a real Russian word/name, but it could work.

      "dark" names:  (LOC transliteration = temn...)
      Tyomnaya
      Tyomnik -> Tyomnika for female?
      Ten = shadow (actually masculine, and I'm not sure if it should be "tyen" or "tyon")

      The Russian word for midnight is polnoch' (pol = half/middle, noch=night) but I didn't see any names based on it.

      I hope this helps.

      Sofya

    • Rick Orli
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 8, 2006
        A polish aquaintence of mine had a dog named or nicknamed Murzynka,
        derived from Moor. (e.g. Negress)
        BTW It was pronounced more like 'muzynka' - that was how I started to
        spell it but I looked it up. Polish has few silent letters, so there
        was a probabally a slight r in there warming up the Z I did not hear.
        -Rick
        in Russian (my dictionary said) negritanka, not as cute. in
        Slovenian: zamorka, Czech: èernoška etc.

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 8, 2006
          Dimut.  Hmm....

          Would it help if I told you it's not pronounced "dim mutt" but "dee-moot"?

          Although it still doesn't sound very "feminine" - how about Dimka (say "deemka")?

          Sofya

        • LiudmilaV@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 8, 2006
            In a message dated 8/8/2006 11:39:25 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
            lkies@... writes:

            "black" names: (LOC transliteration = chern...)
            Chornitsa (actually masculine)
            Chornaya
            Chorn'ka
            Chornislava (black praise/glory)

            "night" names:
            Noch' (actually masculine)
            Noch'naya
            I don't know if "Nochka" is a real Russian word/name, but it could work.

            Chornittsa is feminine, and so is Noch'. I do recommend "Nochka," it is an
            actual diminutive of noch's (night).

            Liudmila

          • L.M. Kies
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 9, 2006
              >Chornittsa is feminine, and so is Noch'.

              I was going by Paul's Dictionary, which lists both Chornitsa and Noch' as period Russian men's names.  Obviously, they are grammatically feminine, which is why I included them as possibilities for a female dog's name.  I should have done a better job of explaining that in my response.  :)

              Sofya

            • Deborah Peach
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 9, 2006
                Thank you all very much for the name suggestions. Now my Lord and I have to
                decide on the name that we are going to go with.

                Tat'ianna Radokovaia

                >From: "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...>
                >To: sig@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: RE : [sig] Slightly OOP: Looking for a Name
                >Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 09:02:54 -0400
                >

                > >Chornittsa is feminine, and so is Noch'.
                >
                >I was going by Paul's Dictionary, which lists both Chornitsa and Noch' as
                >period Russian men's names.  Obviously, they are grammatically
                >feminine, which is why I included them as possibilities for a female dog's
                >name.  I should have done a better job of explaining that in my
                >response.  :)
                >
                >Sofya

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Tat'ianna Radokovaia
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 10, 2006
                  Thanks everyone for the wonderful name suggestions. It made it harder for
                  my Lord and I to choose a name. But we have finally done so and her name is
                  going to be Noch'ka.

                  Tat'ianna Radokovaia

                • LiudmilaV@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 12, 2006
                    In a message dated 8/9/2006 6:06:18 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                    lkies@... writes:

                    I was going by Paul's Dictionary, which lists both Chornitsa and Noch' as
                    period Russian men's names. Obviously, they are grammatically feminine, which
                    is why I included them as possibilities for a female dog's name. I should have
                    done a better job of explaining that in my response. :)

                    Actually, Sofya, I should have done a better job looking things up. I
                    didn't, just went with the language. Of course, we were talking about the dog name,
                    so I didn't think it had to be period-correct. However, I am wondering about
                    those people's logic..."Chernitsa" is also a title in a nunnery, feminine
                    equivalent of "chernets."

                    Liudmila

                  • L.M. Kies
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 13, 2006
                      >Of course, we were talking about the dog name,
                      >so I didn't think it had to be period-correct.

                      I didn't think it had to be period-correct either, but the Period Dictionary is the only "comprehensive" source of Russian names I have, period or OOP.  :)

                      However, I am wondering about
                      >those people's logic..."Chernitsa" is also a title in a nunnery, feminine
                      >equivalent of "chernets."

                      I have noticed many "feminine" men's names in the Period Dictionary.  Maybe they were more secure in their masculinity?  Or they realized the difference between grammatical gender and social gender and the grammar wasn't perceived as any reflection on their "manhood"...

                      Or maybe they didn't "notice" the feminity of the grammar in the word.  A bit like English speakers who never stop to realize that certain words are related, especially if they learn them in different contexts.   ...flame and inflammation...

                      Maybe names just got spelled wrong sometimes - genitive, nominative, what's the difference...?   ;)

                      Sofya