Re: Russian hat on Ebay

  • Stephanie Ross
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23, 2006
      <<this is the one you are talking about it is just a fancy muffin cap.
      9519337333
      You could make this with a straight band for around the head and a
      circle pleated into it for the back "poof". Probably the band is 4-5
      nches wide and 22 inches long to fit around your head, and the poof
      part is about 24inch diameter circle.
      I have no idea if it is accurate or not. Haven't studied these, but it
      is an interesting idea for a hat.>>

      I could scan in the drawing of the muffin cap-type hat and email it if
      you're interested. It does look just like the hat in the auction. I'm sure
      that _The History of Ukrainian Costume_ is a tertiary source at best, but
      the hat style is Ukrainian according to the author.

      ~Aislinn~
      Et si omnes ego non.

      "The care of human life and happiness and not their destruction is the
      first and only legitimate object of good government." --Thomas Jefferson to
      Maryland Republicans, 1809.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 24, 2006
        > I could scan in the drawing of the muffin cap-type
        > hat and email it if
        > you're interested. It does look just like the hat in
        > the auction. I'm sure
        > that _The History of Ukrainian Costume_ is a
        > tertiary source at best, but
        > the hat style is Ukrainian according to the author.
        >
        > ~Aislinn~

        Is this the skinny blue "History of Ukrainian Costume"
        book? I have 2 books with that name -- one is skinny
        and blue, the other is huge and in Ukrainain. I just
        got them back from an illuminator (she borrowed them
        -- for costume info, she told me.... but when I got my
        scroll, I understood her fiendish plan, bwa ha ha
        ha....) ;p

        --Sfandra
        --who perhaps should not have spent 38 of the last 48
        hours sewing....

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Stephanie Ross
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 24, 2006
          Sfandra wrote:
          Is this the skinny blue "History of Ukrainian Costume"
          book? I have 2 books with that name -- one is skinny
          and blue, the other is huge and in Ukrainain.

          Probably the english one. Is the author Yuri Tkach? All I have are copies of it from a library book I ILLed years ago, so I have no idea what the cover looks like anymore. It was published by Bayda Books however. Drawings of that particular hat are on p. 53, 56 and 59.

          Nadya

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 25, 2006
            'kay, I found it. I agree that the drawings do not
            necessarily indicate a muffin-hat construction.

            funny, but last night was the first time I actually
            READ the second half of that book!
            --Sfandra

            http://mail.yahoo.com