Re: [sig] Re: Pennsic S.I.G. Gathering!

  • purplkat@optonline.net
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 21, 2006
      I'm going to bring myself and my drop-spindling! <GG>

      OH! and a copy of my Polish Names Book <me is author!!> for everyone to peruse and make comments over.

      Katheryne

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 21, 2006
        In a message dated 7/21/2006 4:51:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        lkies@... writes:

        Which hat on ebay?

        So far all I'm finding nbsp;<WBR>at the ArmStreet "store" on ebay is
        the 6-gore fur hat on the whippet-thin woman, and the muffin hat on the sara

        I've seen the back of a "traditional" kokoshnik (in a "Peasant Art in
        Russia" book), so I'd be interested to see this headdress you're looking at.

        Sofya

        I am talking about the back of the muffin-like eBay hat.
        _http://cgi.ebay.com/EXCLUSIVE-RUSSIAN-BEAUTY-DRESS-COSTUME-LARP-REN-SCA_W0QQi
        temZ9519337333QQihZ007QQcategoryZ19255QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem_
        (http://cgi.ebay.com/EXCLUSIVE-RUSSIAN-BEAUTY-DRESS-COSTUME-LARP-REN-SCA_W0QQitemZ9519337333
        QQihZ007QQcategoryZ19255QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem)
        It is not muffin-like on the back..or it shouldn't be. I now looked again,
        and I think it's off a bit. The burgundy kokoshnik on my website is modeled on
        one of the Peasant Art hats, but that picture is the front. I know what the
        back looks like, and mine did look like that when flat...it's making it
        actually have the right shape when assembled that was the problem.

        Liudmila

      • Lynda Fjellman
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 23, 2006
          If this is the one you are talking about it is just a fancy muffin cap.
          9519337333
          You could make this with a straight band for around the head and a
          circle pleated into it for the back "poof". Probably the band is 4-5
          nches wide and 22 inches long to fit around your head, and the poof
          part is about 24inch diameter circle.
          I have no idea if it is accurate or not. Haven't studied these, but it
          is an interesting idea for a hat.
          The one on the really thin woman wearing the tight coat is what I call a
          6 piece hat. 4 or 6 equal pieces that are curved triangular shape sewn
          together to make a rounded top cap with fur on the edge. Very easy.
          Hardly need a pattern for that, though I have seen them in the ordinary
          catalogs in the accessories section.
          Ilaria
        • Marilee Humason
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 24, 2006
            Frankly, it looks my chefs caps. Not even as
            distinguished as a muffin cap. I have also not seen
            this in period, it is fun, but I wouldn't enter it in
            a contest without good sources and/or reasonable
            extapolation.
            Baroness Anastasia

            --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

            > If this is the one you are talking about it is just
            > a fancy muffin cap.
            > 9519337333
            > You could make this with a straight band for around
            > the head and a
            > circle pleated into it for the back "poof".
            > Probably the band is 4-5
            > nches wide and 22 inches long to fit around your
            > head, and the poof
            > part is about 24inch diameter circle.
            > I have no idea if it is accurate or not. Haven't
            > studied these, but it
            > is an interesting idea for a hat.
            > The one on the really thin woman wearing the tight
            > coat is what I call a
            > 6 piece hat. 4 or 6 equal pieces that are curved
            > triangular shape sewn
            > together to make a rounded top cap with fur on the
            > edge. Very easy.
            > Hardly need a pattern for that, though I have seen
            > them in the ordinary
            > catalogs in the accessories section.
            > Ilaria

          • Terri Hirling
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 1, 2006
              Hi, my name is Baroness HL Isabeau Quiquandon (Terri Hirling,
              Houston, TX), pardon the interruption to your regular scheduled
              program.

              I've been lurking for sometime now hoping to located Lady Liudmila
              Vladimirova doch'. Is she a member of this list? If so, I'd
              appreciated it greatly if she'd contact me off list regarding her
              paper entitled "Russian Women's Headwear and Accessories from IXth
              through XVIIth Centuries" and her kokoshnik "how to" (which I fell in
              love with by the way) both on the web. It seems the picture links in
              the article are broken and I'd like to know if any of them are
              accessable elsewhere. I'm a costuming apprentice and am having a
              difficult time locating "Russian" period artwork from the 15th and
              16th centuries for garb research and, in particular, headdresses (I'm
              real big on period hats). Eastern European garb is somewhat foreign
              to me as my main focus is Western Europe (English & Italian, just
              starting Flemish & German).

              Thank you very much for your time.

              Regards,
              Baroness Isabeau