Greetings

  • llyonet
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 18, 2006
      Hello,

      I am new and in the SCA.
      I love garb from different countries and time-frames.
      I am currently attempting to learn more about late 1500's
      (slavic/polish) gowns.
      I just found this and am captivated.
      Is this dress after polish style?
      http://www.tudor-portraits.com/Elizabeth27.jpg
      It seems to mimic but I am unsure.

      Thanks for taking time to read this and for any input you may have.

      Lyonet (time wanderer?)
    • Lynda Fjellman

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 20, 2006
          Greetings and Witam. I am Magdalena Gdanska. The picture you posted of
          Elizabeth I is sometimes referred to as a gown in "the Polish style"
          because of the gold braid closures. This is after Western Europe's
          exposure to the Polish army in all their regalia.

          Here are a few sites/items on Polish garb.
          kismeta.com/diGrasse/PolishHorseArtillery.htm
          The Spring 2006 Issue of Slovo - Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski's article on
          Sarmatian Baroque Women's clothing (SLOVO is in the links folder)
          and my website at matkamagdalena.tripod.com Information on the Polish
          letnik and a new page on Polish embroidery.

          Let us know if you have further questions.

          Magdalena
        • Rick Orli
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 20, 2006
            Do you mean western style that might be adopted in Poland (or
            elsewhere east) and then some fashion detail made it back out west?
            Or maybe a detail is adopted from east to west? I've seen some
            examples but I don't think this is one. Or much of one anyway.

            there is very little about this that says 'Eastern'... I assume you
            are reacting to the detail of the fastening, which resembles
            passamentrie peltic buttons. Maybe, but seems to far apart to have the
            same sort of 'look'. However everything else - esp. farthingale-based
            structure, says 'western'. -Rick

            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "llyonet" <llyonet@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > I am new and in the SCA.
            > I love garb from different countries and time-frames.
            > I am currently attempting to learn more about late 1500's
            > (slavic/polish) gowns.
            > I just found this and am captivated.
            > Is this dress after polish style?
            > http://www.tudor-portraits.com/Elizabeth27.jpg
            > It seems to mimic but I am unsure.
            >
            > Thanks for taking time to read this and for any input you may have.
            >
            > Lyonet (time wanderer?)

          • Lynda Fjellman
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 20, 2006
              No not really. This is an example of Westerners taking eastern ideas
              and incorporating them into what they thought clothing should look like.
              This was at a time of significant cross fertilization of clothing
              details and there are a couple of portraits of Elizabeth wearing
              "eastern" clothing. The fact that the whole ensemble says "western" to
              us doesn't mean anything. Elizabeth and her followers thought it looked
              very Polish.
              If you want to get an idea of this same sort of thing, go to any SCA
              event and ask the fur bunny where she got her clothing ideas.
              Ilaria

              Do you mean western style that might be adopted in Poland (or
              elsewhere east) and then some fashion detail made it back out west?
              Or maybe a detail is adopted from east to west? I've seen some
              examples but I don't think this is one. Or much of one anyway.

              there is very little about this that says 'Eastern'... I assume you
              are reacting to the detail of the fastening, which resembles
              passamentrie peltic buttons. Maybe, but seems to far apart to have the
              same sort of 'look'. However everything else - esp. farthingale-based
              structure, says 'western'. -Rick

              > Is this dress after polish style?
              > http://www.tudor-portraits.com/Elizabeth27.jpg
              > It seems to mimic but I am unsure.
            • Lyonet
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 20, 2006
                Magdalena,

                Thank you for your reply.
                I will be reading all of the sites you sent me shortly.
                I find myself 'haunted' by this gown.

                Lyonet

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 20, 2006
                  Rick,

                  Thanks for your input.
                  I have to admit that I am a bit of a magpie. There is so much garb to be made, from different times and places. I want a little of all of it, but I would like it to be as accurate as possible. (time and budget limitations)
                  I am 'haunted' by this gown that I happened to see on the tudor website as I was doing some research for my lord's doublet. I am thinking it is 'after or resembling' the style of the polish military of the time.
                  Queen Elizabeth seemed to like to have clothing of different lands. Now I am feeling the urge to reseach it a bit and gotta make it. Then I think I would like to make a letnik.

                  Lyonet
                  Do you mean western style that might be adopted in Poland (or
                  elsewhere east) and then some fashion detail made it back out west?
                  Or maybe a detail is adopted from east to west? I've seen some
                  examples but I don't think this is one. Or much of one anyway.

                  there is very little about this that says 'Eastern'... I assume you
                  are reacting to the detail of the fastening, which resembles
                  passamentrie peltic buttons. Maybe, but seems to far apart to have the
                  same sort of 'look'. However everything else - esp. farthingale-based
                  structure, says 'western'. -Rick

                  --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "llyonet" <llyonet@...> wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > I am new and in the SCA.
                  > I love garb from different countries and time-frames.
                  > I am currently attempting to learn more about late 1500's
                  > (slavic/polish) gowns.
                  > I just found this and am captivated.
                  > Is this dress after polish style?
                  > http://www.tudor-portraits.com/Elizabeth27.jpg
                  > It seems to mimic but I am unsure.
                  >
                  > Thanks for taking time to read this and for any input you may have.
                  >
                  > Lyonet (time wanderer?)

                • magdalenag56
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 20, 2006
                    You are welcome Lyonet. Polish women's garb is hard to define for
                    several reasons. One reason was the different "regions" of Poland
                    seemed to develop their own styles. It may help in your research is
                    you were to pick an area of Poland. If your persona is part of the
                    merchant class or a local burgher family, you would have more exposure
                    to Western styles.

                    Also, several of the queens were orginally from Western European
                    countries and when they came to Poland they brought their fashions as
                    well.

                    Rik, as far as your questions, I see more of Poland adopting Western
                    styles than Western Europe adopting Polish styles. The one fashion
                    item that did seem to be adopted by Westerners was the Polish Kontusz.

                    Magdalena Gdanska
                  • Krista
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 25, 2006
                      I wanted to introduce myself to the group. My name is Krista (but I'm
                      starting to use a Society name- Galina) and I've been playing for
                      almost a year. As I've been getting more settled in the SCA, my
                      interest has started to gravitate towards Slavic Europe and Central
                      Asia. Right now I'm looking at making some 13th-14th century Polish
                      garb (after the Racinet, fig. 2.3 A young noblewoman- the yellow with
                      green sleeves), so if anyone has any suggestions for additional sources
                      for this type of clothing, I would love to hear about it.

                      Another reason that I wanted to join this group was to learn more about
                      Slavic history. I'm hoping to attend a field school in either Poland or
                      the Czech Republic next summer, but I know very little about either of
                      these areas in general. So, any further sources (ie: books, websites)
                      that anyone would recommend on either of these areas during the Middle
                      Ages would also be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
                    • magdalenag56
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 26, 2006
                        Witam Galina. I can share my favorite sites as far as researching
                        Polish women's garb starting with:

                        http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/PolishHorseArtillery.htm

                        This is a grat site to explore in general and was the first really
                        helpful site for me. Racinet has the general idea of what was worn
                        but on this site go into the costume link and take a look at the
                        Matejko pictures. Jan Matejko was a Polish historian and painter and
                        highly respected in Poland.

                        Check out the spring 06 issue of Slovo. Pan Zygmunt, another wealth
                        of knowledge on Polish garb has a article on Sarmatian Baroque
                        fashions.

                        Lastly I have done a little research myself on a Polish gown called
                        the letnik. matkamagdalena.tripod.com. I will, over the next
                        several months, be adding more samples of my work as I complete the
                        outfits.

                        This should get your started.

                        Magdalena Gdanska
                      • Rod Giffin
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 10, 2007
                          Greetings,

                          I thought I'd introduce myself before I butt in on a conversation or
                          two. I'm new to the list, but not the SCA. Formerly I had developed an
                          interest and persona from the Frankish Kingdom/Duchy of Lotharingia,
                          because I was mundanely born in Montmedy. I still have arguments with
                          book Heralds about Lotharingia (Usually it has a theme something like
                          "No, Montmedy and Verdun are *NOT* examples of medieval French
                          culture.") The past few years though, I've been developing an interest
                          in Novgorod and Tver, and to a lesser extend Kiev and Moscow.

                          Mundanely I live in Eastern Ontario, the Barony of Skraeling Althing in
                          Ealdormere, but I work wherever my job takes me. Currently that's
                          Bridgewater New Jersey where my office is, or Warwick Rhode Island
                          (Barony of the Bridge), and Fremont California (Principality of the
                          Mists). I don't know if any other's from Ealdormere are active here.

                          I also had the pleasure of working in Russia for 6 months, and spent a
                          good deal of time examining artifacts in Museums. I lived in North
                          Eastern Moscow, on ulitsa Smolnaya, close to Rechnoy Vokzal. I speak
                          enough Russian to get by in a restaurant, store or hotel or to deal with
                          the Militsa on occasion ... but not enough to know how to swear at
                          drivers. I can read a bit more than I speak also, something that makes
                          reading documents in Russian a bit easier.

                          I've returned on vacation a few times, to visit friends in St.
                          Peterbourg, Mosow and Ufa. On my last trip there late last fall, a
                          Russian/Bashkir woman I met in a shop on Arbatskaya a few years ago
                          presented me with a beautiful cloak made of blue velvet, and embroidered
                          and couched with gold and white thread. She made it after a painting
                          purportedly from the mid 14th century. It's quite a bit Tartar
                          looking, but it's a beautiful garment. She says that if I return,
                          she'll make me a "real hat and boots" to match it (felt and fur). I've
                          warn the cloak to a few events, but it's somewhat difficult to maintain
                          so that doesn't happen often.

                          I'm now developing a persona to match the garb, which has been an
                          interesting journey. I want to thank some of the members of this group
                          though, some of your research has been masterful.

                          In Russia itself, artifacts from the early period are difficult to find,
                          because many of the collections have been plundered, burned or otherwise
                          destroyed in various conflagrations. Sad really. But I have seen the
                          standard tourist type museums, Tretyakov Gallery, the Kremlin and it's
                          armoury museum, the Balshoy and Maly, I also spent considerable time in
                          the Museum of History of Moscow examining artifacts and old documents.
                          I spent so much time in the early period section they invited me to the
                          storage and restoration facility. It's interesting. I've seen how real
                          braes might have been made, although there is probably more than one
                          way. A 14th century boot heel made with laminated leather presumably
                          nailed to a boot that was dug up by a gardener near the Kremlin wall,
                          and the remains of a suit of lamellar and male armour that was found in
                          the 30's while excavating a building foundation. Not much of it
                          survived. The interesting thing is that the coif had been repaired at
                          some time using butted male. The rust was as bad on the butted male as
                          it was on the rivited ones, so it is likely to have been done a long
                          time ago. One could almost imagine a hasty repair between sorties.

                          Anyway, that's about it. If you've read this far, thank you!!!

                          Orderic.
                        • petite_moitan
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 10, 2007
                            Ack, I never formally introduced myself.

                            Hi, all. My name is Christine Mc Carver. I live in Elf Sea of
                            Ansteorra. My persona that I'm building is a Moravian of mid 14th
                            century. I'm interested in, oh bunches of stuff. Here's some things I
                            think are more point-edly SCA oriented.
                            Calligraphy, eastern and western. Learning illumination, though much
                            more difficult than water color.
                            Sewing - garb making. Designing patterns based off of drawings and
                            making them universal. (In real life, I am a seamstress for hire.
                            Hence the business name Mercenary Seamstress as well as an
                            architectural engineering student.)
                            Mask making - paper mache masks of all sorts - Noh, masquerade,
                            comedie de l'arte (I can never spell that correctly yet I studied
                            French for five years.) I hurl them against the wall to test durability.
                            Languages - French, Czech, Latin, Japanese, Gaelic, Mexican (necessity)
                            Paper mache lacquered furniture.
                            Beading - jewelery, head ornaments, garments
                            Cobbling - leather, canvas, began with 3/4 point shoes, then made own
                            lasts for period shoes.
                            Corsetry - with or without busks, stays, bodices
                            site assembly and cooking. Not much of a bard - too chicken.
                            Researching hard to find things. CAMPING And ethnic studies. and
                            Gothic architecture. . *sighs at the intricate loveliness*
                            Book binding and paper making.

                            All of which started before the SCA. Oddly enough.

                            I learned about the SCA last winter through a bunch of Vampire
                            LARPers, paid my dues mid-may before my first event; which I didn't
                            need to make any garb for had I not wanted to be more "ethnically"
                            appropriate. Even had my own tent and camp stove from my hiking days.

                            So, I'm a newbie. I have been taken in by a group known as the
                            Miscreants, though I've yet to "officially" join them. I am currently
                            finishing my coat and head dress whilst working on my background info.

                            Be posting again,
                            Christine
                          • vladdrgo
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 22, 2008
                              I've been a major lurker on SIG for awhile now. I am attempting to
                              portray a mid 12thC Moldavian. I have had help from some folks in
                              Romania via pics and descriptions of various things and am now trying
                              to recreate shoes.
                              It was requested of me to post some pictures of my wife's work. She
                              and some of her friends entered a Seamstress competition and ranked
                              pretty high. I have a few posted unders Vladislavs Pics in the
                              groups pic files and am waiting for the final 5 to be posted as of
                              22/3/2008. I know she was interested in making this Kiev outfit for
                              awhile, but after Slavic U she had a surge of feelings towards
                              getting it done. She usually does Irish Celt, but we figure a few
                              months of Slavic will warm her up. hahaha

                              I also put up a pic I'd received a decade ago depicting a Romanian
                              outfit. I took a pic of our last Slavic U token I punched and burned
                              and posted that too.

                              In Service,
                              Vladislav Dragomir
                              man-at-arms to Baron Sir Garth of the Craigs, Andelcrag
                              House Dragon's Scythe
                              Middle Kingdom