Russian garb on Ebay

    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 19, 2006
      Anyone else see this?
      <http://cgi.ebay.com/EXLUSIVE-MEDIEVAL-COAT-DRESS-COSTUME-WEDDING-LARP-REN_W0QQitemZ9519339185QQihZ007QQcategoryZ19255QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem>

      If that link doesn't work, it's Item 9519339185.

      --Sfandra

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Stephanie Ross

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 19, 2006
          Beautiful fabric and work but am I mistaken in
          seeing that as a princess line style, albeit with a
          collar, full sleeves and open down the front? That
          woman is whippet thin though so I'm thinking the drape
          might be more common on the size 14-18 that the
          average woman over 25 is? I was whipeet thin too until
          I started an office job and my income rose above an
          abject poverty level! Plus I'm lazy...
          Its a good price, even with shipping included but
          its a pattern that nearly any compotent costumer of
          woman's garb could fit a person for. The rest is
          shelling out for materials and doing the sewing
          machine work.....
          Just my two grivna worth.
          'dok

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • L.M. Kies
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 19, 2006
            I'd seen it before too.  It's beautifully "Russian", like the snowmaidens on the lacquer boxes, but it doesn't look period to me.

            The bodice is much too fitted, princess seams rather than rectangle contruction, sleeves are off (set-in with a poof on top and the wrong shape - not long or narrow enough for a shuba/svita/etc. and not wide enough to be a letnik/kortelya), and the floral trim down the front strikes me as more 18th century than 16th century.

            But I still want one just like it.  ;)

            Sofya

          • Lynda Fjellman
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 19, 2006
              Did they make them that tight?
              Ilaria

              Anyone else see this?
              <
              If that link doesn't work, it's Item 9519339185.

              --Sfandra

              Never 'pearl' your butt.

              Use half round pearls.
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 19, 2006
                Me too, with wider sleeves so I can look pretty
                too.....
                'dok

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • LiudmilaV@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 20, 2006
                  In a message dated 7/20/2006 9:29:04 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                  lfjellman@... writes:

                  Did they make them that tight?
                  Ilaria

                  I am quite certain that they didn't. It certainly looks better that tight to
                  us, but medieval Russians did not value willowy figures, they preferred
                  portly stature. So, why would a period woman want to make herself look skinny?
                  Also, what is known of even 17th century dress does not favor form-fitting
                  construction.

                  What I want, though, is a pattern for that woman's headdress they are
                  selling.

                  Liudmila

                • magdalenag56
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 20, 2006
                    Lady Marija,

                    I'm not sure what I'll bring but I'll bring something!

                    Magdalena Gdanska
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 21, 2006
                      > What I want, though, is a pattern for that woman's
                      > headdress they are
                      > selling.
                      >
                      > Liudmila

                      Ooo, you mean the one on the russian outfit that's
                      sorochka, sarafan, and vest? I was looking at that.
                      It really appears to be a sort of muffin-hat design,
                      with a very wide headband.

                      Part of the appeal here is fabrics: they're using
                      very very nice lush fabrics.

                      --Sfandra

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Lynda Fjellman
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 21, 2006
                        Wasn't it just a 6 piece cap, out here we call them Lao hats. Where are
                        you? They are *really* easy.

                        Yes, I thought so on the "tight". I don't do eastern myself, but since
                        hubby does Polish, I have looked at a LOT of pictures. Well fed is
                        plump and that means wealthy. You have to be wealthy to eat all you
                        want and have extra. Wealthy is a *good thing*.
                        Ilaria

                        <snippage)
                        Did they make them that tight?
                        Ilaria

                        I am quite certain that they didn't. It certainly looks better that
                        tight to
                        us, but medieval Russians did not value willowy figures, they preferred

                        portly stature. So, why would a period woman want to make herself look
                        skinny?
                        Also, what is known of even 17th century dress does not favor
                        form-fitting
                        construction.

                        What I want, though, is a pattern for that woman's headdress they are
                        selling.

                        Liudmila

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • purplkat@optonline.net
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 21, 2006
                          I'm going to bring myself and my drop-spindling! <GG>

                          OH! and a copy of my Polish Names Book <me is author!!> for everyone to peruse and make comments over.

                          Katheryne

                        • MoxFool@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 21, 2006
                            In a message dated 7/21/2006 4:54:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                            magdalenag56@... writes:

                            Lady Marija,

                            I'm not sure what I'll bring but I'll bring something!

                            Magdalena Gdanska

                            What day is the SIG meeting?

                            Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski,
                            Servant of Sir Dag Thorgrimsson, Master Mordok Rostovskogo, THL Albyn
                            Buckthorne
                            Middle Kingdom, Shire of Talonval
                            SCA Polish Costume resource - http://members.aol.com/moxfool/arts.html
                            "I would have you bear in mind," he continued to his squires, "that gentle
                            courtesy is not, as is the base use of so many false knights, to be shown only
                            to maidens of high degree, for there is no woman so humble that a true
                            knight may not listen to her tale of wrong" - Sir Nigel Loring, 'The White
                            Company'.

                          • LiudmilaV@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 21, 2006
                              In a message dated 7/21/2006 1:55:44 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                              lfjellman@... writes:

                              Wasn't it just a 6 piece cap, out here we call them Lao hats. Where are
                              you? They are *really* easy.

                              I'm in Caid, and I don't know what a 6-piece-cap is. But I don't think that
                              is it, if you look at the back of the headdress. The back is what gives me
                              trouble with my kokoshniks -- I am reasonably sure that what I did here
                              _http://members.aol.com/LiudmilaV/KOKOSHNIK.htm_
                              (http://members.aol.com/LiudmilaV/KOKOSHNIK.htm) is not quite right. The back of that thing on ebay does seem
                              right.

                              Liudmila

                            • LiudmilaV@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 21, 2006
                                In a message dated 7/21/2006 4:51:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                                lkies@... writes:

                                Which hat on ebay?

                                So far all I'm finding nbsp;<WBR>at the ArmStreet "store" on ebay is
                                the 6-gore fur hat on the whippet-thin woman, and the muffin hat on the sara

                                I've seen the back of a "traditional" kokoshnik (in a "Peasant Art in
                                Russia" book), so I'd be interested to see this headdress you're looking at.

                                Sofya

                                I am talking about the back of the muffin-like eBay hat.
                                _http://cgi.ebay.com/EXCLUSIVE-RUSSIAN-BEAUTY-DRESS-COSTUME-LARP-REN-SCA_W0QQi
                                temZ9519337333QQihZ007QQcategoryZ19255QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem_
                                (http://cgi.ebay.com/EXCLUSIVE-RUSSIAN-BEAUTY-DRESS-COSTUME-LARP-REN-SCA_W0QQitemZ9519337333
                                QQihZ007QQcategoryZ19255QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem)
                                It is not muffin-like on the back..or it shouldn't be. I now looked again,
                                and I think it's off a bit. The burgundy kokoshnik on my website is modeled on
                                one of the Peasant Art hats, but that picture is the front. I know what the
                                back looks like, and mine did look like that when flat...it's making it
                                actually have the right shape when assembled that was the problem.

                                Liudmila

                              • Lynda Fjellman
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 23, 2006
                                  If this is the one you are talking about it is just a fancy muffin cap.
                                  9519337333
                                  You could make this with a straight band for around the head and a
                                  circle pleated into it for the back "poof". Probably the band is 4-5
                                  nches wide and 22 inches long to fit around your head, and the poof
                                  part is about 24inch diameter circle.
                                  I have no idea if it is accurate or not. Haven't studied these, but it
                                  is an interesting idea for a hat.
                                  The one on the really thin woman wearing the tight coat is what I call a
                                  6 piece hat. 4 or 6 equal pieces that are curved triangular shape sewn
                                  together to make a rounded top cap with fur on the edge. Very easy.
                                  Hardly need a pattern for that, though I have seen them in the ordinary
                                  catalogs in the accessories section.
                                  Ilaria
                                • Marilee Humason
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 24, 2006
                                    Frankly, it looks my chefs caps. Not even as
                                    distinguished as a muffin cap. I have also not seen
                                    this in period, it is fun, but I wouldn't enter it in
                                    a contest without good sources and/or reasonable
                                    extapolation.
                                    Baroness Anastasia

                                    --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

                                    > If this is the one you are talking about it is just
                                    > a fancy muffin cap.
                                    > 9519337333
                                    > You could make this with a straight band for around
                                    > the head and a
                                    > circle pleated into it for the back "poof".
                                    > Probably the band is 4-5
                                    > nches wide and 22 inches long to fit around your
                                    > head, and the poof
                                    > part is about 24inch diameter circle.
                                    > I have no idea if it is accurate or not. Haven't
                                    > studied these, but it
                                    > is an interesting idea for a hat.
                                    > The one on the really thin woman wearing the tight
                                    > coat is what I call a
                                    > 6 piece hat. 4 or 6 equal pieces that are curved
                                    > triangular shape sewn
                                    > together to make a rounded top cap with fur on the
                                    > edge. Very easy.
                                    > Hardly need a pattern for that, though I have seen
                                    > them in the ordinary
                                    > catalogs in the accessories section.
                                    > Ilaria

                                  • Terri Hirling
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 1, 2006
                                      Hi, my name is Baroness HL Isabeau Quiquandon (Terri Hirling,
                                      Houston, TX), pardon the interruption to your regular scheduled
                                      program.

                                      I've been lurking for sometime now hoping to located Lady Liudmila
                                      Vladimirova doch'. Is she a member of this list? If so, I'd
                                      appreciated it greatly if she'd contact me off list regarding her
                                      paper entitled "Russian Women's Headwear and Accessories from IXth
                                      through XVIIth Centuries" and her kokoshnik "how to" (which I fell in
                                      love with by the way) both on the web. It seems the picture links in
                                      the article are broken and I'd like to know if any of them are
                                      accessable elsewhere. I'm a costuming apprentice and am having a
                                      difficult time locating "Russian" period artwork from the 15th and
                                      16th centuries for garb research and, in particular, headdresses (I'm
                                      real big on period hats). Eastern European garb is somewhat foreign
                                      to me as my main focus is Western Europe (English & Italian, just
                                      starting Flemish & German).

                                      Thank you very much for your time.

                                      Regards,
                                      Baroness Isabeau