Re: [sig] Re: Pennsic S.I.G. Gathering!

  • MoxFool@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 11 10:30 AM
      I'll bring iced Raspberry krupnik!

      Zygmunt
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 19 8:02 AM
        Anyone else see this?
        <http://cgi.ebay.com/EXLUSIVE-MEDIEVAL-COAT-DRESS-COSTUME-WEDDING-LARP-REN_W0QQitemZ9519339185QQihZ007QQcategoryZ19255QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem>

        If that link doesn't work, it's Item 9519339185.

        --Sfandra

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Stephanie Ross

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 19 9:13 AM
            Beautiful fabric and work but am I mistaken in
            seeing that as a princess line style, albeit with a
            collar, full sleeves and open down the front? That
            woman is whippet thin though so I'm thinking the drape
            might be more common on the size 14-18 that the
            average woman over 25 is? I was whipeet thin too until
            I started an office job and my income rose above an
            abject poverty level! Plus I'm lazy...
            Its a good price, even with shipping included but
            its a pattern that nearly any compotent costumer of
            woman's garb could fit a person for. The rest is
            shelling out for materials and doing the sewing
            machine work.....
            Just my two grivna worth.
            'dok

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • L.M. Kies
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 19 11:17 AM
              I'd seen it before too.  It's beautifully "Russian", like the snowmaidens on the lacquer boxes, but it doesn't look period to me.

              The bodice is much too fitted, princess seams rather than rectangle contruction, sleeves are off (set-in with a poof on top and the wrong shape - not long or narrow enough for a shuba/svita/etc. and not wide enough to be a letnik/kortelya), and the floral trim down the front strikes me as more 18th century than 16th century.

              But I still want one just like it.  ;)

              Sofya

            • Lynda Fjellman
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 19 1:26 PM
                Did they make them that tight?
                Ilaria

                Anyone else see this?
                <
                If that link doesn't work, it's Item 9519339185.

                --Sfandra

                Never 'pearl' your butt.

                Use half round pearls.
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 19 1:37 PM
                  Me too, with wider sleeves so I can look pretty
                  too.....
                  'dok

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • LiudmilaV@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 20 2:26 PM
                    In a message dated 7/20/2006 9:29:04 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                    lfjellman@... writes:

                    Did they make them that tight?
                    Ilaria

                    I am quite certain that they didn't. It certainly looks better that tight to
                    us, but medieval Russians did not value willowy figures, they preferred
                    portly stature. So, why would a period woman want to make herself look skinny?
                    Also, what is known of even 17th century dress does not favor form-fitting
                    construction.

                    What I want, though, is a pattern for that woman's headdress they are
                    selling.

                    Liudmila

                  • magdalenag56
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 20 6:10 PM
                      Lady Marija,

                      I'm not sure what I'll bring but I'll bring something!

                      Magdalena Gdanska
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 21 5:37 AM
                        > What I want, though, is a pattern for that woman's
                        > headdress they are
                        > selling.
                        >
                        > Liudmila

                        Ooo, you mean the one on the russian outfit that's
                        sorochka, sarafan, and vest? I was looking at that.
                        It really appears to be a sort of muffin-hat design,
                        with a very wide headband.

                        Part of the appeal here is fabrics: they're using
                        very very nice lush fabrics.

                        --Sfandra

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Lynda Fjellman
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 21 9:52 AM
                          Wasn't it just a 6 piece cap, out here we call them Lao hats. Where are
                          you? They are *really* easy.

                          Yes, I thought so on the "tight". I don't do eastern myself, but since
                          hubby does Polish, I have looked at a LOT of pictures. Well fed is
                          plump and that means wealthy. You have to be wealthy to eat all you
                          want and have extra. Wealthy is a *good thing*.
                          Ilaria

                          <snippage)
                          Did they make them that tight?
                          Ilaria

                          I am quite certain that they didn't. It certainly looks better that
                          tight to
                          us, but medieval Russians did not value willowy figures, they preferred

                          portly stature. So, why would a period woman want to make herself look
                          skinny?
                          Also, what is known of even 17th century dress does not favor
                          form-fitting
                          construction.

                          What I want, though, is a pattern for that woman's headdress they are
                          selling.

                          Liudmila

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • purplkat@optonline.net
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 21 2:09 PM
                            I'm going to bring myself and my drop-spindling! <GG>

                            OH! and a copy of my Polish Names Book <me is author!!> for everyone to peruse and make comments over.

                            Katheryne

                          • MoxFool@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 21 3:43 PM
                              In a message dated 7/21/2006 4:54:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                              magdalenag56@... writes:

                              Lady Marija,

                              I'm not sure what I'll bring but I'll bring something!

                              Magdalena Gdanska

                              What day is the SIG meeting?

                              Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski,
                              Servant of Sir Dag Thorgrimsson, Master Mordok Rostovskogo, THL Albyn
                              Buckthorne
                              Middle Kingdom, Shire of Talonval
                              SCA Polish Costume resource - http://members.aol.com/moxfool/arts.html
                              "I would have you bear in mind," he continued to his squires, "that gentle
                              courtesy is not, as is the base use of so many false knights, to be shown only
                              to maidens of high degree, for there is no woman so humble that a true
                              knight may not listen to her tale of wrong" - Sir Nigel Loring, 'The White
                              Company'.

                            • LiudmilaV@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 21 4:13 PM
                                In a message dated 7/21/2006 1:55:44 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                                lfjellman@... writes:

                                Wasn't it just a 6 piece cap, out here we call them Lao hats. Where are
                                you? They are *really* easy.

                                I'm in Caid, and I don't know what a 6-piece-cap is. But I don't think that
                                is it, if you look at the back of the headdress. The back is what gives me
                                trouble with my kokoshniks -- I am reasonably sure that what I did here
                                _http://members.aol.com/LiudmilaV/KOKOSHNIK.htm_
                                (http://members.aol.com/LiudmilaV/KOKOSHNIK.htm) is not quite right. The back of that thing on ebay does seem
                                right.

                                Liudmila

                              • LiudmilaV@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 21 7:27 PM
                                  In a message dated 7/21/2006 4:51:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                                  lkies@... writes:

                                  Which hat on ebay?

                                  So far all I'm finding nbsp;<WBR>at the ArmStreet "store" on ebay is
                                  the 6-gore fur hat on the whippet-thin woman, and the muffin hat on the sara

                                  I've seen the back of a "traditional" kokoshnik (in a "Peasant Art in
                                  Russia" book), so I'd be interested to see this headdress you're looking at.

                                  Sofya

                                  I am talking about the back of the muffin-like eBay hat.
                                  _http://cgi.ebay.com/EXCLUSIVE-RUSSIAN-BEAUTY-DRESS-COSTUME-LARP-REN-SCA_W0QQi
                                  temZ9519337333QQihZ007QQcategoryZ19255QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem_
                                  (http://cgi.ebay.com/EXCLUSIVE-RUSSIAN-BEAUTY-DRESS-COSTUME-LARP-REN-SCA_W0QQitemZ9519337333
                                  QQihZ007QQcategoryZ19255QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem)
                                  It is not muffin-like on the back..or it shouldn't be. I now looked again,
                                  and I think it's off a bit. The burgundy kokoshnik on my website is modeled on
                                  one of the Peasant Art hats, but that picture is the front. I know what the
                                  back looks like, and mine did look like that when flat...it's making it
                                  actually have the right shape when assembled that was the problem.

                                  Liudmila

                                • Lynda Fjellman
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 23 12:33 PM
                                    If this is the one you are talking about it is just a fancy muffin cap.
                                    9519337333
                                    You could make this with a straight band for around the head and a
                                    circle pleated into it for the back "poof". Probably the band is 4-5
                                    nches wide and 22 inches long to fit around your head, and the poof
                                    part is about 24inch diameter circle.
                                    I have no idea if it is accurate or not. Haven't studied these, but it
                                    is an interesting idea for a hat.
                                    The one on the really thin woman wearing the tight coat is what I call a
                                    6 piece hat. 4 or 6 equal pieces that are curved triangular shape sewn
                                    together to make a rounded top cap with fur on the edge. Very easy.
                                    Hardly need a pattern for that, though I have seen them in the ordinary
                                    catalogs in the accessories section.
                                    Ilaria
                                  • Marilee Humason
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 24 9:56 AM
                                      Frankly, it looks my chefs caps. Not even as
                                      distinguished as a muffin cap. I have also not seen
                                      this in period, it is fun, but I wouldn't enter it in
                                      a contest without good sources and/or reasonable
                                      extapolation.
                                      Baroness Anastasia

                                      --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

                                      > If this is the one you are talking about it is just
                                      > a fancy muffin cap.
                                      > 9519337333
                                      > You could make this with a straight band for around
                                      > the head and a
                                      > circle pleated into it for the back "poof".
                                      > Probably the band is 4-5
                                      > nches wide and 22 inches long to fit around your
                                      > head, and the poof
                                      > part is about 24inch diameter circle.
                                      > I have no idea if it is accurate or not. Haven't
                                      > studied these, but it
                                      > is an interesting idea for a hat.
                                      > The one on the really thin woman wearing the tight
                                      > coat is what I call a
                                      > 6 piece hat. 4 or 6 equal pieces that are curved
                                      > triangular shape sewn
                                      > together to make a rounded top cap with fur on the
                                      > edge. Very easy.
                                      > Hardly need a pattern for that, though I have seen
                                      > them in the ordinary
                                      > catalogs in the accessories section.
                                      > Ilaria

                                    • Terri Hirling
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Aug 1, 2006
                                        Hi, my name is Baroness HL Isabeau Quiquandon (Terri Hirling,
                                        Houston, TX), pardon the interruption to your regular scheduled
                                        program.

                                        I've been lurking for sometime now hoping to located Lady Liudmila
                                        Vladimirova doch'. Is she a member of this list? If so, I'd
                                        appreciated it greatly if she'd contact me off list regarding her
                                        paper entitled "Russian Women's Headwear and Accessories from IXth
                                        through XVIIth Centuries" and her kokoshnik "how to" (which I fell in
                                        love with by the way) both on the web. It seems the picture links in
                                        the article are broken and I'd like to know if any of them are
                                        accessable elsewhere. I'm a costuming apprentice and am having a
                                        difficult time locating "Russian" period artwork from the 15th and
                                        16th centuries for garb research and, in particular, headdresses (I'm
                                        real big on period hats). Eastern European garb is somewhat foreign
                                        to me as my main focus is Western Europe (English & Italian, just
                                        starting Flemish & German).

                                        Thank you very much for your time.

                                        Regards,
                                        Baroness Isabeau