Pennsic S.I.G. Gathering!

  • Marilyn Kinyon
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 11, 2006
      Greetings good Gentles,

      I have requested and graciously been granted the use of Aethelmearc
      Royals Main Pavillion for our meeting! I will bring fliers to put up
      at PENNSIC. Please spread the word where ever you feel it
      appropriate!

      We are scheduled August 16, 2pm - 4pm. I will go in ahead of time
      and make sure any last minute particulars are in order. All the
      usual gracious visitor behavior rules apply.

      Since we have more time this year I am hoping the first part of the
      meeting can be an Intro to what SIG is for newcomers. I will be
      bringing fliers.

      I would like as many as possible to bring garb or handicraft
      examples and / or books. The latter part of the meeting can be
      devoted to sharing resources, getting to know folks, and a bit of
      snacking.

      And as to thhat, is there anyone who would like to volunteer to help
      bring any refreshments? I was brought up in a Polish / Ukrainian
      household and was taught that you always feed people at a gathering.
      It would be nice if we could have culturally appropriate food to
      share, but I realize that is probably not to doable there. I am open
      to all ideas or contributions so we can extend this custom to the
      Pennsic meeting.

      We had a nice little meeting last year and I am expecting that with
      the prior org. this year it should be even better !

      If you have ideas you would like incorporated feel free to get in
      touch!

      Lady Marija
    • Shannon Anderson
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 11, 2006
        I can bring some bread-like thing and beet caviar! I
        will try to bring something else too, but I can at
        least promise that much.
        See everyone soon!!

        Margarita

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • yanagroznaia
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 11, 2006
          I'll make kvas and think of something else more, uh...solid to bring
          as well.

          Woo hoo!

          --Yana
        • yanagroznaia
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 11, 2006
            Oops, forgot to add that I have added the annual SIG Gathering to our
            Group calendar, with a reminder to be sent out 2 weeks before the date
            (just for the heck of it). And sorry for the "reposting" of all the
            Slavic-like Pennsic classes. Guess that shows how often I read the
            newsletter!

            --Yana
          • MoxFool@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 11, 2006
              I'll bring iced Raspberry krupnik!

              Zygmunt
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 19, 2006
                Anyone else see this?
                <http://cgi.ebay.com/EXLUSIVE-MEDIEVAL-COAT-DRESS-COSTUME-WEDDING-LARP-REN_W0QQitemZ9519339185QQihZ007QQcategoryZ19255QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem>

                If that link doesn't work, it's Item 9519339185.

                --Sfandra

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Stephanie Ross

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 19, 2006
                    Beautiful fabric and work but am I mistaken in
                    seeing that as a princess line style, albeit with a
                    collar, full sleeves and open down the front? That
                    woman is whippet thin though so I'm thinking the drape
                    might be more common on the size 14-18 that the
                    average woman over 25 is? I was whipeet thin too until
                    I started an office job and my income rose above an
                    abject poverty level! Plus I'm lazy...
                    Its a good price, even with shipping included but
                    its a pattern that nearly any compotent costumer of
                    woman's garb could fit a person for. The rest is
                    shelling out for materials and doing the sewing
                    machine work.....
                    Just my two grivna worth.
                    'dok

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • L.M. Kies
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 19, 2006
                      I'd seen it before too.  It's beautifully "Russian", like the snowmaidens on the lacquer boxes, but it doesn't look period to me.

                      The bodice is much too fitted, princess seams rather than rectangle contruction, sleeves are off (set-in with a poof on top and the wrong shape - not long or narrow enough for a shuba/svita/etc. and not wide enough to be a letnik/kortelya), and the floral trim down the front strikes me as more 18th century than 16th century.

                      But I still want one just like it.  ;)

                      Sofya

                    • Lynda Fjellman
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 19, 2006
                        Did they make them that tight?
                        Ilaria

                        Anyone else see this?
                        <
                        If that link doesn't work, it's Item 9519339185.

                        --Sfandra

                        Never 'pearl' your butt.

                        Use half round pearls.
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 19, 2006
                          Me too, with wider sleeves so I can look pretty
                          too.....
                          'dok

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • LiudmilaV@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 20, 2006
                            In a message dated 7/20/2006 9:29:04 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                            lfjellman@... writes:

                            Did they make them that tight?
                            Ilaria

                            I am quite certain that they didn't. It certainly looks better that tight to
                            us, but medieval Russians did not value willowy figures, they preferred
                            portly stature. So, why would a period woman want to make herself look skinny?
                            Also, what is known of even 17th century dress does not favor form-fitting
                            construction.

                            What I want, though, is a pattern for that woman's headdress they are
                            selling.

                            Liudmila

                          • magdalenag56
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 20, 2006
                              Lady Marija,

                              I'm not sure what I'll bring but I'll bring something!

                              Magdalena Gdanska
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 21, 2006
                                > What I want, though, is a pattern for that woman's
                                > headdress they are
                                > selling.
                                >
                                > Liudmila

                                Ooo, you mean the one on the russian outfit that's
                                sorochka, sarafan, and vest? I was looking at that.
                                It really appears to be a sort of muffin-hat design,
                                with a very wide headband.

                                Part of the appeal here is fabrics: they're using
                                very very nice lush fabrics.

                                --Sfandra

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • Lynda Fjellman
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 21, 2006
                                  Wasn't it just a 6 piece cap, out here we call them Lao hats. Where are
                                  you? They are *really* easy.

                                  Yes, I thought so on the "tight". I don't do eastern myself, but since
                                  hubby does Polish, I have looked at a LOT of pictures. Well fed is
                                  plump and that means wealthy. You have to be wealthy to eat all you
                                  want and have extra. Wealthy is a *good thing*.
                                  Ilaria

                                  <snippage)
                                  Did they make them that tight?
                                  Ilaria

                                  I am quite certain that they didn't. It certainly looks better that
                                  tight to
                                  us, but medieval Russians did not value willowy figures, they preferred

                                  portly stature. So, why would a period woman want to make herself look
                                  skinny?
                                  Also, what is known of even 17th century dress does not favor
                                  form-fitting
                                  construction.

                                  What I want, though, is a pattern for that woman's headdress they are
                                  selling.

                                  Liudmila

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                • purplkat@optonline.net
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 21, 2006
                                    I'm going to bring myself and my drop-spindling! <GG>

                                    OH! and a copy of my Polish Names Book <me is author!!> for everyone to peruse and make comments over.

                                    Katheryne

                                  • MoxFool@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 21, 2006
                                      In a message dated 7/21/2006 4:54:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                      magdalenag56@... writes:

                                      Lady Marija,

                                      I'm not sure what I'll bring but I'll bring something!

                                      Magdalena Gdanska

                                      What day is the SIG meeting?

                                      Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski,
                                      Servant of Sir Dag Thorgrimsson, Master Mordok Rostovskogo, THL Albyn
                                      Buckthorne
                                      Middle Kingdom, Shire of Talonval
                                      SCA Polish Costume resource - http://members.aol.com/moxfool/arts.html
                                      "I would have you bear in mind," he continued to his squires, "that gentle
                                      courtesy is not, as is the base use of so many false knights, to be shown only
                                      to maidens of high degree, for there is no woman so humble that a true
                                      knight may not listen to her tale of wrong" - Sir Nigel Loring, 'The White
                                      Company'.

                                    • LiudmilaV@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 21, 2006
                                        In a message dated 7/21/2006 1:55:44 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                                        lfjellman@... writes:

                                        Wasn't it just a 6 piece cap, out here we call them Lao hats. Where are
                                        you? They are *really* easy.

                                        I'm in Caid, and I don't know what a 6-piece-cap is. But I don't think that
                                        is it, if you look at the back of the headdress. The back is what gives me
                                        trouble with my kokoshniks -- I am reasonably sure that what I did here
                                        _http://members.aol.com/LiudmilaV/KOKOSHNIK.htm_
                                        (http://members.aol.com/LiudmilaV/KOKOSHNIK.htm) is not quite right. The back of that thing on ebay does seem
                                        right.

                                        Liudmila

                                      • LiudmilaV@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 21, 2006
                                          In a message dated 7/21/2006 4:51:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                                          lkies@... writes:

                                          Which hat on ebay?

                                          So far all I'm finding nbsp;<WBR>at the ArmStreet "store" on ebay is
                                          the 6-gore fur hat on the whippet-thin woman, and the muffin hat on the sara

                                          I've seen the back of a "traditional" kokoshnik (in a "Peasant Art in
                                          Russia" book), so I'd be interested to see this headdress you're looking at.

                                          Sofya

                                          I am talking about the back of the muffin-like eBay hat.
                                          _http://cgi.ebay.com/EXCLUSIVE-RUSSIAN-BEAUTY-DRESS-COSTUME-LARP-REN-SCA_W0QQi
                                          temZ9519337333QQihZ007QQcategoryZ19255QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem_
                                          (http://cgi.ebay.com/EXCLUSIVE-RUSSIAN-BEAUTY-DRESS-COSTUME-LARP-REN-SCA_W0QQitemZ9519337333
                                          QQihZ007QQcategoryZ19255QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem)
                                          It is not muffin-like on the back..or it shouldn't be. I now looked again,
                                          and I think it's off a bit. The burgundy kokoshnik on my website is modeled on
                                          one of the Peasant Art hats, but that picture is the front. I know what the
                                          back looks like, and mine did look like that when flat...it's making it
                                          actually have the right shape when assembled that was the problem.

                                          Liudmila

                                        • Lynda Fjellman
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 23, 2006
                                            If this is the one you are talking about it is just a fancy muffin cap.
                                            9519337333
                                            You could make this with a straight band for around the head and a
                                            circle pleated into it for the back "poof". Probably the band is 4-5
                                            nches wide and 22 inches long to fit around your head, and the poof
                                            part is about 24inch diameter circle.
                                            I have no idea if it is accurate or not. Haven't studied these, but it
                                            is an interesting idea for a hat.
                                            The one on the really thin woman wearing the tight coat is what I call a
                                            6 piece hat. 4 or 6 equal pieces that are curved triangular shape sewn
                                            together to make a rounded top cap with fur on the edge. Very easy.
                                            Hardly need a pattern for that, though I have seen them in the ordinary
                                            catalogs in the accessories section.
                                            Ilaria
                                          • Marilee Humason
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 24, 2006
                                              Frankly, it looks my chefs caps. Not even as
                                              distinguished as a muffin cap. I have also not seen
                                              this in period, it is fun, but I wouldn't enter it in
                                              a contest without good sources and/or reasonable
                                              extapolation.
                                              Baroness Anastasia

                                              --- Lynda Fjellman <lfjellman@...> wrote:

                                              > If this is the one you are talking about it is just
                                              > a fancy muffin cap.
                                              > 9519337333
                                              > You could make this with a straight band for around
                                              > the head and a
                                              > circle pleated into it for the back "poof".
                                              > Probably the band is 4-5
                                              > nches wide and 22 inches long to fit around your
                                              > head, and the poof
                                              > part is about 24inch diameter circle.
                                              > I have no idea if it is accurate or not. Haven't
                                              > studied these, but it
                                              > is an interesting idea for a hat.
                                              > The one on the really thin woman wearing the tight
                                              > coat is what I call a
                                              > 6 piece hat. 4 or 6 equal pieces that are curved
                                              > triangular shape sewn
                                              > together to make a rounded top cap with fur on the
                                              > edge. Very easy.
                                              > Hardly need a pattern for that, though I have seen
                                              > them in the ordinary
                                              > catalogs in the accessories section.
                                              > Ilaria

                                            • Terri Hirling
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Aug 1, 2006
                                                Hi, my name is Baroness HL Isabeau Quiquandon (Terri Hirling,
                                                Houston, TX), pardon the interruption to your regular scheduled
                                                program.

                                                I've been lurking for sometime now hoping to located Lady Liudmila
                                                Vladimirova doch'. Is she a member of this list? If so, I'd
                                                appreciated it greatly if she'd contact me off list regarding her
                                                paper entitled "Russian Women's Headwear and Accessories from IXth
                                                through XVIIth Centuries" and her kokoshnik "how to" (which I fell in
                                                love with by the way) both on the web. It seems the picture links in
                                                the article are broken and I'd like to know if any of them are
                                                accessable elsewhere. I'm a costuming apprentice and am having a
                                                difficult time locating "Russian" period artwork from the 15th and
                                                16th centuries for garb research and, in particular, headdresses (I'm
                                                real big on period hats). Eastern European garb is somewhat foreign
                                                to me as my main focus is Western Europe (English & Italian, just
                                                starting Flemish & German).

                                                Thank you very much for your time.

                                                Regards,
                                                Baroness Isabeau