Russian titles question

  • Seonaid13
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 10, 2006
      This may end up being a double-post -- I sent it earlier and haven't
      seen it come through (like 5 hours ago).

      I was looking at the Russian list on the Laurel Alternative Titles, and
      I was wondering:
      Why don't we use boyar/boyarin/boyarina?

      Thanks,
      Sfandra
    • Paul W Goldschmidt
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 10, 2006
        A very long story there. But basically, we don't use it because it
        had drastically different meanings in different time periods.

        Would we use it for Lord/Lady? Or for Master/Mistress/Sir? It
        depends far too much on when your persona is from.

        So, in the end, we decided to avoid it altogether. That said, there
        were plenty of arguments to include it as one or the other (just no consensus).

        -- Paul

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 10, 2006
          Its not period butt Deti-Kniaz would be cool! Besides,
          I agree with Paul, with a twist....I think that we all
          have a little Boyar / Boyarina in all of us!
          'dok

          http://mail.yahoo.com