Re: Armor from metal strapping-that's me

  • abestripe
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2006
      Excellent 'dok. A great excue to buy a Whitney punch.
      Unfortunately, I will not be at Pennsic (never have been) as I live
      in the Barony of Western Seas (Hawaii) and am in a new job.
      Previously, I was in So Cal and worked at a school that had
      registration Thur through Wed of the 2 weeks of Pennsic. Sigh...
      Some day. Now I can't even get to Estrella or Great Western
      easily/cheaply. So I'll work on armour for 2 weeks instead.

      Thanks for the information. Did you connect the columns of strips
      directly of have a connecting ring? And it was like 12 columns
      of 'plates' right? The columns of plates were ALL connected through
      each of three holes?
      _________
      [o_______o]
      < >
      [o_______o]
      < >
      [o_______o]
      < >
      [o_______o]

      or you made individual 3-layer plates and then connected them?

      _________
      [o o]
      [o o]
      [o_______o]
      < _______ >
      [o o]
      [o o]
      [o_______o]

      PLease pardon the artistic attempt. I hope you can figure out the
      question.

      Lord 'If you ever come to Hawaii' AberHardt

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 29, 2006
        http://www.pennsic.net/cgi-bin/pennsic/photos01.cgi?cmd=view&id=e076.jpg&cat=1600

        The first illustration is it! My baktherets
        wieghs 7.1 kg but is supple as chainmail and
        protective as plate. The strips are connects into long
        rows with chaimail links, then each column is
        connected to the next with a row o links, like any
        other chainmail.
        I wear street hockey shoulders and gut padding
        under a caftan. The photo above is myself with Sir
        Eustad on Pennsic field 4 years ago. It was about 90
        degrees with 70% humidity. I also have a set of armor
        modeled after his that I built, only out of 14 gauge
        aircraft aluminum. If I'm runnin' and gunnin' I wear
        that. Static fights and combat archery battles I wear
        the baktherets.
        'dok

        http://mail.yahoo.com