Re: [sig] Armor from metal strapping-that's me

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2006
      That was me, actually! I made a baktherets armor out
      of metal brick wrappers from skids. I cut it into 792
      3inch strips and whitney punched three holes along
      each thin end so I could overlap it and put a
      chainmail ring through three sstrips, overlapped and
      offset by one hole for each strip.
      Worked gtreat and I use it for SCA combat too. If
      you'll be at Pennsic this year look for me atFandamily
      Camp in E08 or with the guys wearing white surcoats
      with a red chevron. Just ask for " 'dok". If you visit
      the camp and actually catch me there, we can drink a
      cold one and chat with the baktherets......otherwise
      its kosher dills on the field!
      'dok, Midrealm Army
      --- abestripe <abestripe@...> wrote:

      > I recall a brief discussion recently about armour
      > that could be made
      > from the 3/4" metal strapping. I thought it was
      > what someone
      > called "slinky armour" but that thread (in the
      > archives)had no
      > reference to a photo and I remember a picture and a
      > description of
      > construction. Would the good gentle that had the
      > photo please contact
      > me, off list is fine, so that I can refresh my
      > memory. I have
      > recently come into a quantity of this strapping and
      > my lady wife is
      > tired of having even more stuff around, so I Would
      > like to try to make
      > the armor.
      >
      > My gratitude,
      >
      > AberHardt Wendlander
      > (mka Keith merriam)

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • abestripe
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 28, 2006
        Excellent 'dok. A great excue to buy a Whitney punch.
        Unfortunately, I will not be at Pennsic (never have been) as I live
        in the Barony of Western Seas (Hawaii) and am in a new job.
        Previously, I was in So Cal and worked at a school that had
        registration Thur through Wed of the 2 weeks of Pennsic. Sigh...
        Some day. Now I can't even get to Estrella or Great Western
        easily/cheaply. So I'll work on armour for 2 weeks instead.

        Thanks for the information. Did you connect the columns of strips
        directly of have a connecting ring? And it was like 12 columns
        of 'plates' right? The columns of plates were ALL connected through
        each of three holes?
        _________
        [o_______o]
        < >
        [o_______o]
        < >
        [o_______o]
        < >
        [o_______o]

        or you made individual 3-layer plates and then connected them?

        _________
        [o o]
        [o o]
        [o_______o]
        < _______ >
        [o o]
        [o o]
        [o_______o]

        PLease pardon the artistic attempt. I hope you can figure out the
        question.

        Lord 'If you ever come to Hawaii' AberHardt

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 29, 2006
          http://www.pennsic.net/cgi-bin/pennsic/photos01.cgi?cmd=view&id=e076.jpg&cat=1600

          The first illustration is it! My baktherets
          wieghs 7.1 kg but is supple as chainmail and
          protective as plate. The strips are connects into long
          rows with chaimail links, then each column is
          connected to the next with a row o links, like any
          other chainmail.
          I wear street hockey shoulders and gut padding
          under a caftan. The photo above is myself with Sir
          Eustad on Pennsic field 4 years ago. It was about 90
          degrees with 70% humidity. I also have a set of armor
          modeled after his that I built, only out of 14 gauge
          aircraft aluminum. If I'm runnin' and gunnin' I wear
          that. Static fights and combat archery battles I wear
          the baktherets.
          'dok

          http://mail.yahoo.com