Armor from metal strapping

  • abestripe
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 26, 2006
      I recall a brief discussion recently about armour that could be made
      from the 3/4" metal strapping. I thought it was what someone
      called "slinky armour" but that thread (in the archives)had no
      reference to a photo and I remember a picture and a description of
      construction. Would the good gentle that had the photo please contact
      me, off list is fine, so that I can refresh my memory. I have
      recently come into a quantity of this strapping and my lady wife is
      tired of having even more stuff around, so I Would like to try to make
      the armor.

      My gratitude,

      AberHardt Wendlander
      (mka Keith merriam)
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 28, 2006
        That was me, actually! I made a baktherets armor out
        of metal brick wrappers from skids. I cut it into 792
        3inch strips and whitney punched three holes along
        each thin end so I could overlap it and put a
        chainmail ring through three sstrips, overlapped and
        offset by one hole for each strip.
        Worked gtreat and I use it for SCA combat too. If
        you'll be at Pennsic this year look for me atFandamily
        Camp in E08 or with the guys wearing white surcoats
        with a red chevron. Just ask for " 'dok". If you visit
        the camp and actually catch me there, we can drink a
        cold one and chat with the baktherets......otherwise
        its kosher dills on the field!
        'dok, Midrealm Army
        --- abestripe <abestripe@...> wrote:

        > I recall a brief discussion recently about armour
        > that could be made
        > from the 3/4" metal strapping. I thought it was
        > what someone
        > called "slinky armour" but that thread (in the
        > archives)had no
        > reference to a photo and I remember a picture and a
        > description of
        > construction. Would the good gentle that had the
        > photo please contact
        > me, off list is fine, so that I can refresh my
        > memory. I have
        > recently come into a quantity of this strapping and
        > my lady wife is
        > tired of having even more stuff around, so I Would
        > like to try to make
        > the armor.
        >
        > My gratitude,
        >
        > AberHardt Wendlander
        > (mka Keith merriam)

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • abestripe
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 28, 2006
          Excellent 'dok. A great excue to buy a Whitney punch.
          Unfortunately, I will not be at Pennsic (never have been) as I live
          in the Barony of Western Seas (Hawaii) and am in a new job.
          Previously, I was in So Cal and worked at a school that had
          registration Thur through Wed of the 2 weeks of Pennsic. Sigh...
          Some day. Now I can't even get to Estrella or Great Western
          easily/cheaply. So I'll work on armour for 2 weeks instead.

          Thanks for the information. Did you connect the columns of strips
          directly of have a connecting ring? And it was like 12 columns
          of 'plates' right? The columns of plates were ALL connected through
          each of three holes?
          _________
          [o_______o]
          < >
          [o_______o]
          < >
          [o_______o]
          < >
          [o_______o]

          or you made individual 3-layer plates and then connected them?

          _________
          [o o]
          [o o]
          [o_______o]
          < _______ >
          [o o]
          [o o]
          [o_______o]

          PLease pardon the artistic attempt. I hope you can figure out the
          question.

          Lord 'If you ever come to Hawaii' AberHardt

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 29, 2006
            http://www.pennsic.net/cgi-bin/pennsic/photos01.cgi?cmd=view&id=e076.jpg&cat=1600

            The first illustration is it! My baktherets
            wieghs 7.1 kg but is supple as chainmail and
            protective as plate. The strips are connects into long
            rows with chaimail links, then each column is
            connected to the next with a row o links, like any
            other chainmail.
            I wear street hockey shoulders and gut padding
            under a caftan. The photo above is myself with Sir
            Eustad on Pennsic field 4 years ago. It was about 90
            degrees with 70% humidity. I also have a set of armor
            modeled after his that I built, only out of 14 gauge
            aircraft aluminum. If I'm runnin' and gunnin' I wear
            that. Static fights and combat archery battles I wear
            the baktherets.
            'dok

            http://mail.yahoo.com