RE : [sig] Panova question

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2006
      My sources indicate that the panova was a garment borrowed from the steppe nomads.  I have not researched the issue in any detail.  Any die-hard Slavo-centrists would bristle at the suggestion that yet another garment was borrowed from Byzantium.

      And just to add my two cents to the "great panova debate".  I found the panova to be a very useful garment at our Lilies War last week.  There were a couple of really hot days where I elected to wear only a single, very light, rubakha - with the panova over it to provide a little modesty and extra color.  (I had put a yoke in the rubakha to provide a double layer of fabric to cover things in the upper half of the body.)

      I was cooler, but I also got more bug bites.  For what it's worth.  *scratch, scratch*

      :)

      In Service,
      Sofya