Re: Polish Names

  • Art Plazewski
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 14, 2006
      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
      <jenne@...> wrote:

      > *blink* ?
      >
      > Jadwiga is a _scandinavian_ name? At best I thought it was a Polish
      > version of Hedwig, which I thought was German, not Scandahoovian...
      >
      > --
      > -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne@...

      that's according to Kozlowski...I'm searching...
      ;-)
      art
    • Rosie
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 14, 2006
        > On what basis is the herald complaining?

        Two things:
        1. She hasn't heard of it before.
        2. I don't have appropriate documentation. This seems to require a
        photocopy of the page a Nawojka is mentioned on, and her dates; and a
        photocopy of the title page of the book. Both online sources I have
        found do actually include the title of the book the info came from,
        but I'm not sure if the herald noticed that." I didn't the first time
        I read it. They don't have very specific dates either, "15th century"
        and "late 15th century. I think she is concerned that Nawojka is a
        modern spelling. I daresay a birth certificate would do ;)

        Does anyone know where a person in Central Victoria (Australia) could
        find records for Poland? Census, that sort of thing?

        My Guide leaders always told me that challenges were good for me..
        Rosie
      • Art Plazewski
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 15, 2006
          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Rosie" <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:
          would do ;)

          > Does anyone know where a person in Central Victoria (Australia) could
          > find records for Poland? Census, that sort of thing?
          >
          > My Guide leaders always told me that challenges were good for me..
          > Rosie

          hmmmmmm...short of writing to the Jagiellonian University library I
          have no idea...that herald has rather interesting rules....as a native
          Pole I can asure you that this is a proper spelling....
          good luck...

          ;-)
          art
        • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 15, 2006
            > > Does anyone know where a person in Central Victoria (Australia) could
            > > find records for Poland? Census, that sort of thing?
            > >
            > > My Guide leaders always told me that challenges were good for me..
            > > Rosie

            Contact the Kingdom college of heralds and ask if they can ask on
            SCA-Heralds for someone who has information about the name. There are a
            lot of heralds all over the world who enjoy poring over reference books
            in the service of this kind of thing.

            "Justice is better than chivalry if we cannot have both."
            -- Alice Stone Blackwell
          • Rebecca Lucas
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 16, 2006
              Rosie,
              How many people on this list are from Lochac is the question! :)
              There aren't that many of us.

              Since you are in Lochac, may I suggest you use the utterly amazing Libraries
              Australia database (at: http://librariesaustralia.nla.gov.au/ ) for 'Names,
              Personal -- Polish'. There are quite a few books in interesting places
              around the country so hopefully there will be some nearby.
              (If there is anything at Melboure university, Monash university or RMIT at a
              Melbourne library, I would be able in a few weeks to track down those books
              for you, but right now I have exams.)

              E-mail me off list if I can help out with books,
              Asfridhr, College of St. Barts, Barony of Stormhold, Kingdom of Lochac.

              Posted by: "Rosie" Rosie_0801@... rosie_0801
              Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:24 pm (PST)
              Thanks everyone :)
              Nope, the herald is not a native Polish speaker. How many native
              Polish speaking heralds do you think we have here in Lochac?!
            • quokkaqueen
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 16, 2006
                Rosie,
                Here are two dated examples of Nawojka, although I would try to find
                sources other than the internet to back them up.

                Nawojka Koniecpolska, died 1531
                Nawojka Lang, died 15th century?
                Nawojka Kmita, born 15th century?
                Nawojka Zaremba, born 15th century?

                from: http://genealog.home.pl/gd/szablony/osoba.php?lang=en&id=027832
                http://genealog.home.pl/gd/szablony/osoba.php?lang=en&id=026994
                http://genealog.home.pl/gd/szablony/osoba.php?lang=en&id=027304
                http://genealog.home.pl/gd/szablony/osoba.php?lang=en&id=027011

                According to another website, Nawojka Koniecpolska was a 'starost' at
                Przemyśl castle, which may be why she's the only one I could find
                with a recorded death.

                from: http://www.kki.krakow.pl/pioinf/przemysl/dzieje/dzieje1_e.html
                definition of starost at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starost

                The good news for you, is that you now have a reference point for a
                Nawojka who isn't semi-legendary, so you won't have a problem with the
                possibility that the only woman in period called Nawojka was a
                legendary cross-dressing student. (And since being a cross-dressing
                student wouldn't have been something one may want to publicly aspire
                to, the name may have had negative connotations.)

                The reason why your herald is being so seemingly nasty and harsh is
                because she doesn't want you to get so attached to a name, only to not
                have enough evidence for it, so it gets returned when you submit it.
                It is better to have too much documentation than not enough.

                Hope this helps,
                Asfridhr

                --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Rosie" <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

                > Hi All,
                > I'm hoping someone here has the right kind of thinking cap for this
                > job :)
                > I'm trying to make an SCA name, and I wanted "Nawojka"

                <<snip>>
              • Rosie
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 25, 2006
                  Yay! Thanks to everyone who helped! My local herald is now convinced
                  that Nawojka is a respectable name for SCA Polish persona'd chicks :D
                  Now she wants me to find a byname. Erg.. Anyone have documentation for
                  something short, sweet and lacking in accented letters I can't
                  pronounce? Krakowa, Krakowska..
                  How does one find out how city names were spelled 500 years ago anyway?
                  Rosie

                  > I'm trying to make an SCA name, and I wanted "Nawojka"
                • Ron Jachim
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 29, 2006
                    You might take a look at this online store:

                    http://www.polartcenter.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl/SID=1151630185.3410/page=heritage.htm

                    I've been going to their bricks & mortar store for many years. There
                    is a book with maps and town names as of 1772 (prior to the first
                    partition). Ok, so it's not 500 years old, but it's closer than
                    National Geographic. There are also books on Polish first names and
                    Polish last names on that page.

                    Ron
                  • Art Plazewski
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 30, 2006
                      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Rosie" <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

                      > Yay! Thanks to everyone who helped! My local herald is now convinced
                      > that Nawojka is a respectable name for SCA Polish persona'd chicks :D
                      > Now she wants me to find a byname. Erg.. Anyone have documentation
                      for
                      > something short, sweet and lacking in accented letters I can't
                      > pronounce? Krakowa, Krakowska..
                      > How does one find out how city names were spelled 500 years ago
                      anyway?
                      > Rosie
                      >
                      > > I'm trying to make an SCA name, and I wanted "Nawojka"

                      City names are still the same ...they did not change...
                      ;-)
                      art