Panova question

  • quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2006
      Hi all,
      Has anybody tried to trace the 'geneaology' or possible evolution of a
      panova?
      As someone who does early period, it doesn't seem like such a large
      stretch to go from an one-side-open peplos gown, to folding the peplos
      in half over a belt to make a skirt, to attaching the skirt to the
      belt so it's just one panel of fabric, to the three panels of the panova.

      Does anyone know of any studies with a similar theme? (Or a completely
      different idea as to where the panova came from!)

      I've tried all my usual academic databases, but that's only in English
      so there's probably a lot of things I'm just missing.

      Any help is appreciated,
      Asfridhr

      PS. The inspiration for tracking down some information came after reading
      Elfriede R. Knauer, 'A Man's Caftan and Leggings from the North
      Caucasus of the Eighth to Tenth Century: A Genealogical Study,' in
      Metropolitan Museum Journal Vol. 36 (2001), pp. 125-154
      If you can find a copy, it is fantastic to read!
      (The first page is available at http://snipurl.com/rne1)