Rus'ka Pravda in English?

    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 8 10:28 AM
      Does anyone happen to know of a website with the
      Rus'ka Pravda in English? Or of a book version in
      English I might be able to hunt down? (I'd go so far
      as to hit the BPL if necessary.. and I HATE going into
      Boston.)

      I'm looking for any references about any sort of
      apprentice system or agreements in Kievan Rus.

      Thanks,
      Sfandra Dmitrieva

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Charles Richter
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 8 3:11 PM
        Here's the short version:
        http://web.grinnell.edu/individuals/kaiser/shrp.html

        And the long version:
        http://web.grinnell.edu/individuals/kaiser/exrp.html

        Both translations are taken from _The Laws of Rus'--Tenth to Fifteenth
        Centuries_, which is very useful overall:

        _The Laws of Rus'--Tenth to Fifteenth Centuries_, tr., ed. Daniel H.
        Kaiser (Salt Lake City: Charles Schlacks Publisher, 1992).

        It's rather hard to find your own copy now, but several libraries have
        it. I lucked out when my old Medieval Russian professor retired and
        started emptying his shelves.

        --Charles

        Sfandra wrote:

        > Does anyone happen to know of a website with the
        > Rus'ka Pravda in English? Or of a book version in
        > English I might be able to hunt down? (I'd go so far
        > as to hit the BPL if necessary.. and I HATE going into
        > Boston.)
      • John Kowal
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 8 4:17 PM
          Greetings All!

          Wow! I didn't know there was a version online. I got copies by hitting
          our University Library and then photocoping them.
          AVL
        • Alastair Millar (IOL)
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 9 2:48 AM
            Sfandra wrote...

            > Does anyone happen to know of a website with the
            > Rus'ka Pravda in English?

            There are links to a number of Russian primary sources in English,
            INCLUDING both of those supplied by Charles, on the website of this
            list! Go to the SIG list page, click links, then 'primary sources in
            english', then 'russian' to find them.

            > Or of a book version in English I might be able to hunt down?

            There are bibliographic details for a number of Russian primary sources
            in English (NOT including the Rus'ka pravda, though) on the website of
            this list! Go to the SIG list page, click database, then 'primary
            sources in english'.

            Obviously, if people can add anything to EITHER of these resources,
            please feel free to do so!!!!! (Or send me the info, and I'll add it in)

            Cheers!

            Alastair
            Who always hoped these things would be useful to someone someday...
          • Stephanie Ross
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 9 7:05 AM
              Unfortunately, all the Durham U. links are saying that I don't have permission.
              Error finding page
              403 Forbidden
              Access to the requested URL: /~dml0www/borigleb.html is forbidden, probably due to filesystem permissions.
              If you are the owner of this file and wish to make it readable on the web, please see the ITS pages on web page file permissions.
              Rats! : (

              Nadya

              There are links to a number of Russian primary sources in English,
              INCLUDING both of those supplied by Charles, on the website of this
              list! Go to the SIG list page, click links, then 'primary sources in
              english', then 'russian' to find them.

            • Paul W Goldschmidt
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 11, 2006
                Greetings Slavic Interest Group!

                [I forgot to send out my usual call for articles on the first. Sorry
                about that!]

                I'm looking for submissions for the Fall Slovo. Short articles,
                reviews, etc. appreciated. The only restriction is that it must be
                of interest to SIG. Let me know if you have anything.

                The deadline is October 1.

                Thanks,
                Paul (for SIG)

              • aldo
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 12, 2006
                  I am sending u a Medieval recipe to make karavai. If u think u can publish
                  it in Slovo, it will be great and I'll be thankful. Ciao

                  Aldo C. marturano
                  > [I forgot to send out my usual call for articles on the first. Sorry
                  > about that!]
                  >
                  > I'm looking for submissions for the Fall Slovo. Short articles,
                  > reviews, etc. appreciated. The only restriction is that it must be
                  > of interest to SIG. Let me know if you have anything.
                  >
                  > The deadline is October 1.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Paul (for SIG)

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Paul W Goldschmidt
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 2 8:52 AM
                    Greetings Slavic Interest Group!

                    As usual at this time of year, I'm looking for submissions for the
                    Summer Slovo. Short articles, reviews, etc.
                    appreciated. Pennsic-related topics are especially welcome. The only
                    restriction is that it must be of interest to SIG.

                    Let me know if you have anything.

                    The deadline in July 1.

                    Thanks,
                    Paul (for SIG)

                  • aldo
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 7 1:57 AM
                      Dear Paul, I am sending attached an article of mine. Let me know if u like it and if u will put it in Slovo.

                      Ciao

                      Aldo

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 2, 2007
                        Greetings Slavic Interest Group!

                        As usual at this time of year, I'm looking for submissions for the
                        Fall Slovo. Short articles, reviews, etc. appreciated. The major
                        restriction is that it must be of interest to SIG.

                        Let me know if you have anything.

                        The deadline in October 1.

                        Thanks,
                        Paul (for SIG)

                      • Paul W Goldschmidt
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 31, 2008
                          Greetings Slavic Interest Group!

                          As usual at this time of year, I'm looking for submissions for the
                          Summer Slovo. Short articles, reviews, etc. appreciated. The only
                          restriction is that it must be of interest to SIG.

                          I am particularly interested in Pennsic-relation material.

                          Let me know if you have anything.

                          The deadline in July 2.

                          Thanks,
                          Paul (for SIG)

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 2 2:05 PM
                            Hi Paul,

                            How do you feel about recipes? I've been trying to
                            collect some pierogi ones, and was thinking about
                            sharing them.

                            --Sfandra

                            --- Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...> wrote:

                            > Greetings Slavic Interest Group!
                            >
                            > As usual at this time of year, I'm looking for
                            > submissions for the
                            > Summer Slovo. Short articles, reviews, etc.
                            > appreciated. The only
                            > restriction is that it must be of interest to SIG.
                            >
                            > I am particularly interested in Pennsic-relation
                            > material.
                            >
                            > Let me know if you have anything.
                            >
                            > The deadline in July 2.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            > Paul (for SIG)

                            > removed]

                            Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                            Haus Von Drakenklaue
                            Kingdom of the East
                            ******************
                            Never 'pearl' your butt.
                          • Paul W Goldschmidt
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 25, 2010
                              I'm still looking for articles to publish in the Fall Slovo. Let me
                              know if you have anything. The deadline is next weekend.

                              Thanks,
                              Paul Wickenden
                            • goldschp tds.net
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 2, 2012
                                I've started work on the Winter Slovo and could definitely use some
                                articles to publish. If you have material that would be of interest
                                to the Slavic Interest Group, let me know directly (off-list). The
                                deadline is January 1st.

                                Thanks,

                                Paul Wickenden of Thanet
                                goldschp@...
                              • goldschp tds.net
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 9 8:44 PM
                                  I'm looking for submissions for the Summer Slovo. This is our annual
                                  pre-Pennsic issue, so articles that are War-related are especially welcome.

                                  The deadline is officially July 1st, but I will be out of the country until
                                  the 3rd, so there's some leeway on that date.

                                  Contact me off-list if you have any questions or ideas.

                                  Thanks,
                                  Paul

                                • goldschp@tds.net
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 4 1:05 PM
                                    I'm looking for material for the Summer Slovo.

                                    The deadline will be July 1st, for which I can give a little wriggle room if you give me some advance notice.

                                    In general, I'm looking for short articles (200-400 words) or pieces that can be serialized. For the summer issue, we traditionally focus on Pennsic, but anything of a Slavic/EE focus is welcome.

                                    Contact me directly (goldschp@...) for questions or submissions.

                                    Thanks,
                                    Paul Wickenden