Re: Medieval Lithuania ????

  • Ron Jachim
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 3, 2006
      A couple of 15th Century Polish/Lithuanian & Teutonic Knights References

      I'm a 17th century Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth reenactor, but I've
      accumulated a few references on 14th century Poland/Lithuania.

      ** Web Sites

      http://www.kresy.co.uk/grunwald.html

      This is in Polish but contains many photos of a Polish reenactment of
      Grunwald.

      http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39960&highlight=grunwald

      This is in English.

      You can also use the search function of www.armourarchive.org to
      search for Teutonic or Grunwald.

      ** Malbork: The Castle of the Teutonic Knights

      More about Malbork, the home base of the Teutonic Knights than their
      armour & equipment. Some period illustrations of the Teutonic
      Knights. Lots of nice color photos of Malbork. Available through
      www.polartcenter.com it may not be on their web site, but shoot them
      an email. I bought mine in their bricks & mortar store for about $15.

      ** Tannenberg 1410 by Stephen Turnbull

      Typical Osprey battle book. Be careful with this. Some of the
      pictures are by Kossak and Matejko, who were painting several hundred
      years after the battle.

      ** The Teutonic Knights by Henryk Sienkiewicz

      This very powerful novel was written by a Noble Laureate (Literature,
      1906), more popular for having written "Quo Vadis?" The English
      translation of TK by Miroslaw Lipinski includes a few pages of photos
      of artifacts from that era. It includes a very vivid description of
      the battle of Grunwald.

      In 1960, this was made into a film by Ford (a Polish director). It is
      available with English subtitles on VHS tape. There are rumored to be
      two new productions of this in the works, both of which have run out
      of funding.

      ** Zolnierz Polski w.XI – XVIII by Bronislaw Gembarzewski

      A multi-volume set of line drawings. Volume One covers through the
      17th century and has about 250 plates of line drawings, with brief
      descriptions in Polish. Each is based on period artwork. I like it
      as a quick reference to period illustrations. This is expensive and
      next to impossible to find.

      These last two I don't have:

      ** Polish Banners at Grunwald by Andrzej Klein, et. Al. (I think this
      is just in Polish).

      ** Teutonic Banners at Grunwald by Andrzej Klein, et. Al. (I think
      this is just in Polish).