Letnik? Dress? Polish? Russian?

  • magdalenag56
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2006
      I have also read about the sleeves of letniks resembling wings. But
      it was my understandiing this was referring to the much looser
      Russian letnik. I have yet to see a Polish dress with sleeves that
      resemble wings.

      In Polish the word letni refers to summer. A letnik in the modern
      Polish refers to a vacationer. Not a stretch to think that most
      vacations are taken in the summer.

      Turnau on page 74 or Central European Dress states, "The sarafan
      mentioned in Lublin, was a furlined coat, unlike in Russia, where
      the word means a gown." It is Turnau who calls this Polish dress
      letnik. What we have is neighboring countries that share common
      words with slightly different meanings.

      Also, it seems to me that in some reenactment circles, Poland is not
      yet regarding as having legitimate women's clothing of its own,
      separate from its neighbors. Ask someone who doesn't know Poland and
      they will tell you Poland copies Germany or Russia as far as women's
      clothing.

      Bartkiewicz does not use the word "letnik" in her book or at least I
      haven't come across it yet. Irena Turnau does (use the word letnik).

      To take all references to the word letnik out of your work seems
      like such a severe and backward step. Being a woman whose major
      point of study has been women's clothing in Poland I may see more of
      the lack of recognition for Polish women's clothing. I ask only that
      you reconsider and think it over to make sure this is the only way
      to address your concerns.

      Your humble servant,
      Magdalena Gdanska