14th century bulgarian dress

  • jennifer knox
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26, 2006
      Hi!
      I'm currently making the dress worn by tsarina Theodore in the london copy of the four gospels and ive got two questions.
      1. its clear that the sleeves are held together by buttons (you can see them easily: the dress is put together like a looser fitting cotehardie), but what isn't clear is how the front is closed as no visible buttons were painted on. buttons, hooks or lacing anyone?

      2. Her cloak appears to be held on her by bands going around the upper arms. i thought at first that it was embroidery attached to the dress, but under a magnifying glass you can see that they are actually part of the cloak. The question is does anyone know if that was a standard way of making women's cloaks (because ive never seen it before) or if it was special cloak worn only as regalia?

      If any of you would like to see the picture i can upload it to the group picture page
      Thanks!
      Anya

      "Speak softly and carry a big stick" -- Teddy Roosevelt