RE : Re: [sig] Seam Finishes

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 2006
      Kolchin indicates that the "flat-felled" seam was done by slip-stitching the longer folded-under seam allowance into place.  That's why it's not a true flat-felled seam.

      He also indicates that some seams used a double running stitch (aka Holbein stitch?) that was done so precisely that it resembles machine stitching, which is music to my cheatin' heart. :)

      Sofya

      Message 2 of 3 , May 10, 2006
        The majority of my tailoring is with coats, using heavy wool cloth
        that is so felted that you need to inspect closely to see evidence of
        the weave. If its the good stuff it does not need any sort of edge
        finishing, (nor did they do so in period, at least with soldier's
        coats, although I don't know one way or the other for rich men's
        clothes - but in truth it does not need it. just needs to be pressed
        flat.)
      • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
        Message 3 of 3 , May 10, 2006
          I use similar types of wool but I still press the seam "open" flat and whip
          stitch the edges down just to create a more finished look. This is
          especially nice on sleeve to shoulder seams as it makes them lay nicely.
          For other fabrics, it depends on how much time I have but I like to do a
          flat felled for similar reasons as above.

          Posadnitsa Ianuk