RE: [sig] Seam Finishes

  • Stephanie Ross
    Message 1 of 17 , May 9, 2006
      Try this website Sfandra.

      http://heatherrosejones.com/archaeologicalsewing/linen.html

      Nadya

      Does anyone have recommendations for seam finishes?
      Particularly, what finishes are period? What finishes
      work well?

    • Lente
      Message 2 of 17 , May 9, 2006
        well I found this
        http://heatherrosejones.com/archaeologicalsewing/index.html

        And in a odd connection I have just recieved this past weekend a book call
        "Know your Viking" (viking sewing machine), and while skimming through it I
        have found a couple of things I might be using in the future, and I found
        out that i am missing a manual and have a title to ask for at the closest
        dealer (about 140 miles away). Anyway if you can get specialized feet for
        your machine the one my book talks about for the viking is a 5mm narrow
        hemmer foot to help do the second half of a lapped seam. Which I thought was
        definitely cool since that is one seam that has driven me nuts to do. Now
        lapped seams do show up as a line (or 2) of stitching on the outside as its
        the stitch used on jeans.

        the French seam is the other one I hate to do, cause of all the little bits
        wanting to stick out. I will admit I have a serger so most of the time that
        is my seam finisher. But when I want a better seam finish I will either make
        a lapped seam and hand sew it down(or my version of it) or a mock french
        seam. A mock french seam is basicially sewing the layers together with right
        sides to together with a 5/8" SA, then turning both raw edges into towards
        the seam and sewing a topstich along the outside edge, it does end up being
        a stiffer seam than a regular french seam though, here's a site showing it
        http://sewing.about.com/library/sewnews/qa/aaqa0601c.htm or here
        http://www.vertetsable.com/demos_machineseams.htm or here
        http://vintagesewing.info/1920s/26-fcm/fcm-toc.html along with a lot of
        others.

        Kathws

        Message 3 of 17 , May 9, 2006
          I believe that the trick to French seams is pressing the first stitching open, then trimming raw edges to one eighth inch before the second stitching.
          Ilijana

          Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:
          I've been french seaming my garments, which keeps the
          raw edges nice and protected, but creates bulky seams
          and I find myself triming bits that peek out with tiny
          embroidery scissors.

          Ilijana Krakowska
          Per pale argent and gules, two cats sejant addorsed counterchanged.

        • Lisa Santucci
          Message 4 of 17 , May 9, 2006
            Something I came across in my research on Rus Rubakha's is that the initial
            seam is sewn with the traditional running stitch and then one side of the
            excess fabric is trimmed down to 1/2 the width and the longer piece is then
            folded over and "flat felled" down to the garment. I makes for less bulky
            seams and extremely durable. the seam finishing doesn't take too much extra
            time but should be done by hand for best results.

            Hugs
            Cinara
            > I've been french seaming my garments, which keeps the
            > raw edges nice and protected, but creates bulky seams
            > and I find myself triming bits that peek out with tiny
            > embroidery scissors.
            >
            > Does anyone have recommendations for seam finishes?
            > Particularly, what finishes are period? What finishes
            > work well?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Sfandra
            > (plotting summer sewing for PENNSIC!)

            > --

          • abbondanza
            Message 5 of 17 , May 10, 2006
              Greetings,

              Use 1/4" seam allowance for the first pass through the sewing
              machine, trim to 1/8". Pressing is important, open your garment
              so that it lies flat and press the seam flush to one side of the
              garment (do not open the seam and press flat), then fold the
              other side over the seam and press this flat, pin it and make
              your second pass on the machine 1/4". At this point, iron the
              fabric so that the seam runs along one side of the garment, pin
              it on the right (out)side. Hand stitch the seam on the inside
              flat to the garment. What you will have is a beautifully
              finished seam, that will always lie flat when you are wearing
              the garment which will be easier to iron after laundering and
              will not require mending for _years_. I sew all of my linen
              gowns in this manner, it is well worth the effort, as it is
              done, once, per gown.

              In service,
              Antoinette de la Croix
              AEthelmearc

              > Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:
              > I've been french seaming my garments, which keeps the
              > raw edges nice and protected, but creates bulky seams
              > and I find myself triming bits that peek out with tiny
              > embroidery scissors.
              >

              > Ilijana Krakowska
              > Per pale argent and gules, two cats sejant addorsed
              > counterchanged.

              "Be the change you want to see in the world."
              -Gandhi

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Lente
              Message 6 of 17 , May 10, 2006
                that's what I did on my long wool coat, but I have found since that my wool
                is so thick (prewashed 3x's in hot) the seam allowances will not lay flat so
                now I am going back and doing a herringbone (or catchstitch) on the inside
                down each side of the seam to keep the seam allowances flat. since I'm using
                a matching color in sewing thread its not showing on the outside, not
                certain it will show on the outside. I also used the same stich for the hem,
                keeps it all nice and flat so I don't catch the hem on stuff.

                Kathws

                Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 7:38 AM
                Subject: RE : Re: [sig] Seam Finishes

                Message 7 of 17 , May 10, 2006
                  Thanks for all the great advice. I think I was just
                  frustrated, because I have a tendency towards heavy
                  fabrics -- heavy linens, decorator cottons etc, -- and
                  that leads to bulky seams!

                  I'm going to try flat felling more, instead of french.
                  And larger seam allowances too. :-)

                  --Sfandra

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 11, 2006
                      Do you really take a heavy wool and boil it? what are you making,
                      shoe soles? That happened at my house by accident last year when my
                      size 44 sweater was accidently washed in hot water, and came out size
                      4T. The thought that passed though my mind was, ah! so this is how
                      to get suitable material to make felt boots.

                      But, if the wool is more typically thick,and the construction press
                      is done right, the only time I have really had trouble is if a coat I
                      had loaned out was machine washed, treatment no wool coat deserves.
                      for that matter, wool coats should be very seldom washed, wool does
                      not absorb sweat and oils and aromatics like cotton, and if allowed
                      to air well will have just the right, er, quality, for the 16-17th
                      C.
                      -Rick

                    • historian@reconstructinghistory.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 11, 2006
                        Actually if your seam allowances are so thick that they are not at all
                        ravelly, you can trim the seeam allowances down as close to the seam
                        as you can get without cutting the seam stitching. Many extant wool
                        garments made from thick textiles have barely any seam allowances at
                        all (1/8" and they stand straight up), and some are even butted
                        together instead of folded over into a seam.

                        The seam finish you're doing, Kathws, will certainly hold the seam
                        allowances open and flat, but there will still be bulk. If you don't
                        want that bulk, you can trim it without much fear of unravelling in
                        this case.

                        Kass
                        Reconstructing History
                        http://reconstructinghistory.com

                        Message 11 of 17 , May 11, 2006
                          Most of the serious 14C people felt thier wool, most
                          especially for their hose. The hoods are quite thick
                          as are their winter wieght coate hardies, but not
                          felted x4! They count on a third shrinkage on average.
                          'dok

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • historian@reconstructinghistory.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 11, 2006
                            Tim,

                            The 4X Rick experienced is because he shrunk a sweater (which is
                            knit), not something woven, which won't shrink nearly as much. =)

                            Rick,

                            They aren't boiling their wool as much as they are "shocking" it with
                            a hot wash and cold rinse in the washing machine. While this doesn't
                            exactly full the wool as it would have been fulled in the 14th
                            century, it thickens modern wool to the point where it more closely
                            resembles medieval wool and doesn't ravel, so you can leave your hems
                            unsewn and do the seam finishes as they were done in period without
                            fear of your clothing fraying.

                            Quoting Tim Nalley <mordakus@...>:

> [...]
                            >> > a matching color in sewing thread its not showing
                            >> on the outside,
                            >> not
                            >> > certain it will show on the outside. I also used
                            >> the same stich for
                            >> the hem,
                            >> > keeps it all nice and flat so I don't catch the
                            >> hem on stuff.
                            >> >
                            >> > Kathws
                            >> >
                            >> > Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 7:38 AM
                            >> > Subject: RE : Re: [sig] Seam Finishes

                            >> using heavy wool cloth
                            >> closely to see
                            >> evidence of
                            >> need any sort of
                            >> edge
                            >> least with soldier's
                            >> other for rich men's
                            >> needs to be
                            >> pressed

                            > http://mail.yahoo.com[1]

                            > Medieval costume[2] Medieval knights[3] Slavic[4]

                          • Lente
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 11, 2006
                              Okay I just saw this message. I started out with 100% wool that I bought at
                              hancocks several years back, I think it was a plain weave (call it a jacket
                              weight) that was 5 1/2 yds by 60" wide. And yes I meant to full the wool,
                              basically I washed it in the hottest water my washer does three times, I
                              didn't dry it between washes, just pulled it out of the washer to get the
                              twists out then put it right back in. After that I tossed it in the dryer
                              and dried the wool until dry, probably a couple of hours with lots of
                              checking to clean out the lint trap. After all that the wool ended up being
                              4 7/8 yds by 45" wide with ripply edges which did make me figure out a new
                              layout using the unshrunk selvage edges, I ended up putting all of them
                              along the back seam and one the shoulder seams of the sleeves. I then made
                              it into a full length coat since I don't like cloaks; it also works great as
                              an extra layer on the air mattress. Since it is so bulky if I need to wash
                              it I will probably do it the bathtub with cold water. I have had to get some
                              juice my kids spilled on it out once and when I looked closely at it the
                              juice had just set on the surface and dried all goey, so it really was more
                              of a rinse out in the shower, but it took a week of hanging to dry fully.

                              This isn't the first piece of wool I have washed. Some of the things I have
                              found out washing wool are these: Plain weave fulls the best, don't EVER do
                              a wool crepe unless your looking for a really dense peice that will have
                              shrunk a lot (2 1/2 yds by 60" down to 32" by 36"), a twill that I have
                              prewashed shrunk the smallest amount about 4 inches in the length and
                              nothing in the width, got a little fuzzy but that is about all. When you
                              have your garment made up from that point on if washing your wool garment in
                              a washing machine use the gentle/hand wash cycle in cold water only. Don't
                              be surprised if when your wool is dry clean if the dye changes, I had one
                              that changed from tan to grey, I understand the dry clean fabrics don't
                              alwasy have a washing safe dye used on them.

                              for felting boots from wool roving go check outthe renaissance tailor site,
                              she has a tutorial on making boots, making boots from wool yardage might
                              entail sewing them as lether boots are.

                              Kathws

                              Message 14 of 17 , May 12, 2006
                                Hey, thanks for the tips! I have all this second hand
                                as I'm a dyed in the wool Russian but I had planed to
                                fill in the shallow spots in my wardrobe with leather,
                                linen and wool this year! This will really help!
                                'dok

                                Message 15 of 17 , May 12, 2006
                                  And if you aren't sure you want the effect that fulling will have on wool,
                                  try washing swatches of your wool first. Something like a 9 by 9 square
                                  should work fine, half that size might work fine also. I will be probably
                                  trying this with some tan coat weight wool that I had bought to make a wool
                                  mongol coat for my lord out of; he has since decided for him that will be
                                  too much so a chamois flannel coat is in the works. So now I am thinking I
                                  will end up using the coat wool to make coats for our 2 kids in the future.
                                  Since it is a coat weight and possibly was labeled dry clean (I've had it
                                  for 4 years or so) I will use some swatches to test for shrinkage and color
                                  loss in both hot, warm and cold water cycles; I'm planning for at least 3
                                  swatches.

                                  Kathws

                                  Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 8:39 AM